Landlord breaching contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord breaching contract

Hi, In the property that I am currently renting, in the Let Agreement, the landlord agreed to pay for the council tax (as this was part of my monthy rent payment). This agreement was signed by both parties and was through a rental agent.

We have now discovered that this has not happened and no council tax payments have been made, and being a tenant, I am now liable to pay for the council tax directly and then try and get the money back from the Landlord (which is amounting to c£1,000 for the year).
    I want to clear this up as i don't want to have a bad reference aginst my name, but i feel that the landlord doesn't want to pay the council tax as agreed, so I will end up paying it and not getting my money back from the landlord.

I sent a letter to the council tax department, with the copy of the signed agreement containing the clause that states that the landlord was to pay all demands for council tax, the Council Tax dept wrote back to me to advise that as this is a private agreement between myself and the landlord, I am still liable to pay the council tax and sort it out seperatly with the landlord.

I will have to pay this, but how do I get my money back as the Landlord has breached contact? Can I claim this money back from my rent? So not pay rent till I have cover my costs? What can I do?

Write a polite letter first, asking for re-payment. Say you will have to go to court if he doesn't pay within 14 days.

If he doesn't cough up, then you are going to have to go down the slightly less polite route of going to court for it. www.moneyclaim.gov.uk is the easiest and cheapest way to do this.

Did you pay a deposit to move in?

Has that deposit been protected in one of the government approved schemes?

I think you have to accept that when your fixed term contract is up, the landlord will not want you to remain and will therefore seek possession through the courts. That's a problem for another day though - if it happens you will get advice here.

Comment

Originally posted by Nlsrls View Post
      Can I claim this money back from my rent? So not pay rent till I have cover my costs?
      Yes you are owed the money back and should not worry unduly as it sounds a clear winnable case.
      But you should not use the "non-payment" of rent approach either. Two wrongs do not make a right and courts will see this breaking of your aggreement and not be impressed with you either (it give LL a stick to beat you with). It then gets very cloudy in court and judges are unpredictable. Keep it easy and with legal high ground in your favour.
      Go via courts as advised above. Even if you need a bank loan, the expenses/interest can be claimed as well.
      Chas.

Comment

I agree with the above, it's important to not breach your end of the contract as this will surely complicate matters.

You mentioned Agents, are they able to help with persuading the LL?

You will have to chase this via the courts plus any interest and fees.
        Posts are my based on my personal experience and does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

alantran : please remove the advertising from your signature strip. You have to pay to advertise on this site; please contact the Editor for details if interested. Thank you.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for Non protected deposit
            charliesugar
            This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
            She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
            27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
          • Reply to Claiming for Non protected deposit
            mariner
            [QUOTE=charliesugar;n998575]To DIY she would need to pay a £305 court fee up front ( or I would have to lend it to her!) then there is the hassle of a court date etc NWNF at least gives her the support of someone who knows what they are doing[QUOTE]

Really?

AFAIK
            win...
            21-07-2017, 01:01 AM
          • Help. Scam/ fraud letting
            Hayleydenice93
            Hiya

i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
            20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
          • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
            mariner
            So who owns the Freehold?
            IMO there cannot be a freehold TENANCY.
            21-07-2017, 00:24 AM
          • Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
            Jenny7
            Hi, hope you can offer some insight, we are looking to move rental property due to new job starting in September in a new location.
            So thankfully we've a window to shop around to find a new place.
            We've found one suitable spot but we're still looking around, the new place has asked for credit...
            17-07-2017, 12:10 PM
          • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
            MrShed
            Couldn't agree more. How shortsighted. Unless they assume a tenant would leave with no notice and no forwarding address...
            20-07-2017, 22:47 PM
          • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
            KTC
            Going back to the OP.

This makes zero sense. Why would the LA/LL want a notice to quit from a tenant who they don't otherwise have a problem with. The longer until the tenant provide the notice, the longer the tenant is liable for rent. The notice period given now say, or given a month...
            20-07-2017, 22:46 PM
          • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
            MrShed
            I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
            20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
          • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
            MrShed
            I'm not sure that calling someone's career driven information "nonsense" could be classed as anything other than an insult....
            20-07-2017, 22:41 PM
          • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
            JK0
            Not intended to be an insult. Just sad that some are so frightened of TPTB....
            20-07-2017, 22:39 PM
          Working...
          X