Landlord breaching contract

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Landlord breaching contract

    Hi, In the property that I am currently renting, in the Let Agreement, the landlord agreed to pay for the council tax (as this was part of my monthy rent payment). This agreement was signed by both parties and was through a rental agent.

    We have now discovered that this has not happened and no council tax payments have been made, and being a tenant, I am now liable to pay for the council tax directly and then try and get the money back from the Landlord (which is amounting to c£1,000 for the year).
    I want to clear this up as i don't want to have a bad reference aginst my name, but i feel that the landlord doesn't want to pay the council tax as agreed, so I will end up paying it and not getting my money back from the landlord.

    I sent a letter to the council tax department, with the copy of the signed agreement containing the clause that states that the landlord was to pay all demands for council tax, the Council Tax dept wrote back to me to advise that as this is a private agreement between myself and the landlord, I am still liable to pay the council tax and sort it out seperatly with the landlord.

    I will have to pay this, but how do I get my money back as the Landlord has breached contact? Can I claim this money back from my rent? So not pay rent till I have cover my costs? What can I do?

    Write a polite letter first, asking for re-payment. Say you will have to go to court if he doesn't pay within 14 days.

    If he doesn't cough up, then you are going to have to go down the slightly less polite route of going to court for it. is the easiest and cheapest way to do this.

    Did you pay a deposit to move in?

    Has that deposit been protected in one of the government approved schemes?

    I think you have to accept that when your fixed term contract is up, the landlord will not want you to remain and will therefore seek possession through the courts. That's a problem for another day though - if it happens you will get advice here.


      Originally posted by Nlsrls View Post
      Can I claim this money back from my rent? So not pay rent till I have cover my costs?
      Yes you are owed the money back and should not worry unduly as it sounds a clear winnable case.
      But you should not use the "non-payment" of rent approach either. Two wrongs do not make a right and courts will see this breaking of your aggreement and not be impressed with you either (it give LL a stick to beat you with). It then gets very cloudy in court and judges are unpredictable. Keep it easy and with legal high ground in your favour.
      Go via courts as advised above. Even if you need a bank loan, the expenses/interest can be claimed as well.


        I agree with the above, it's important to not breach your end of the contract as this will surely complicate matters.

        You mentioned Agents, are they able to help with persuading the LL?

        You will have to chase this via the courts plus any interest and fees.
        Posts are my based on my personal experience and does not constitute legal advice.


          alantran : please remove the advertising from your signature strip. You have to pay to advertise on this site; please contact the Editor for details if interested. Thank you.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations


          Latest Activity


          • Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
            Hi There,

            I am planning to move out of a shared rental property in March. Foxtons, the agency managing the property want to charge me a £300 "Change of Occupancy" administration fee as we have not reached the full term of the tenancy. I realise that the fee covers both me leaving...
            23-01-2018, 13:16 PM
          • Reply to Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
            Your information is severely deficient,
            Of course a move out inspection can be chargedeven with no move in report.
            You accepted LA fees by proceeding with Application.
            Deposit ADR cannot be used to contest Agency fees.
            24-01-2018, 02:53 AM
          • Attending Court - Advice Please
            Hi there

            I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
            12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
          • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
            Thank you, Ill take a look!
            24-01-2018, 02:31 AM
          • Broken Boiler
            HI - our boiler broke yesterday - our landlord is currently waiting for a quote for a new boiler - however one of the problems we have is that she lives abroad. It consequently means she's able to speak to people in the uk about any sort of business matter for 3 hours in the afternoon. I'm wondering...
            23-01-2018, 13:55 PM
          • Reply to Broken Boiler
            I live in the US at the moment, 7 hours behind the UK, yes its difficult BUT when my boiler broke I had someone out within 2 days, one thing she should have in place is a boiler cover or she should have tradesmen lined up who she trusts so if something goes wrong she can get in touch with them immediately,...
            24-01-2018, 02:29 AM
          • Section 8 notice served, what next
            Hi section 8 notice was served for rent arrears last wk, it doesn’t look like the tenant is going to pay , my question is what should I do next to prepare me for the court as I never been.

            I ve seen the post before abt the tenant may defend for disrepair, the house in fairly good condition...
            22-01-2018, 21:46 PM
          • Reply to Section 8 notice served, what next
            Hi - I attended court a few weeks ago, we used several grounds in the section 8, the mandatory one being the rent arrears, they didnt put a defence in, show up or pay so the judge just asked for proof I had served the section 8 (proof of postage receipts from the PO) and an up to date rent statement...
            24-01-2018, 02:24 AM
          • Leak into downstairs flat - advice

            I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
            I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
            23-01-2018, 08:50 AM
          • Reply to Leak into downstairs flat - advice
            T responsibility.
            24-01-2018, 02:13 AM