Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ABC123 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I have just called one of the other tenants at the house who says the problem tenant is not at home and also did not stay there last night so it is possible he will not be there tonight. Am I able to serve the s.21 and s.8 if he is not there or would it be acceptable to have delivered them to his place of residence (and if I have witnesses)?
    Take a witness and a camera to photograph you putting the notices under his door.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I am aware that time is marching on and wondering if I am able to serve s.21 tonight and s.8 tomorrow?

Comment

I am aware that time is marching on and wondering if I am able to serve s.21 tonight and s.8 tomorrow?
        Why can't you serve them both tonight? Get a good digital photo of each one and of yourself posting each one. There is no requirement to serve them on separate days
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

It looks like there is a ton of information I have to read before filling in the form. Should I not bother reading all the info and just fill it in?

Comment

It looks like there is a ton of information I have to read before filling in the form. Should I not bother reading all the info and just fill it in?
            Ah! I have just downloaded the s.8 form on the agreements section here and it is much simpler than the pcol website so I will go serve both tonight

Comment

Make sure you have a witness and that you have some photographic evidence that you have delivered it to the right room of the right house!

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                Make sure you have a witness and that you have some photographic evidence that you have delivered it to the right room of the right house!
                Thanks, I will.

On the s.8 form it asks me to write down the earliest date on which court proceedings can be brought - this would be tomorrow?

Comment

Thanks, I will.

On the s.8 form it asks me to write down the earliest date on which court proceedings can be brought - would this be 2 weeks from today, i.e. 13 April?
                  I though that with ground 14 it could be immediate.

Anyone know otherwise?

Comment

I just got a call from the tenant. He says he will start looking for a new place to live. I don't really trust him though and can imagine him dragging it on saying he can't find somewhere suitable or affordable. I'm going to drop the notices round now anyway.

Comment

I just got a call from the tenant. He says he will start looking for a new place to live. I don't really trust him though and can imagine him dragging it on saying he can't find somewhere suitable or affordable. I'm going to drop the notices round now anyway.
                      I agree with your reasoning.

Comment

So it IS good to talk !

Why not assist him in finding a new place to live ?

I had a T who attempted suicide in one of my props, which totally freaked out the other 4 Ts.

He stayed wih his family for a few weeks then called to say he was coming back to the house, the other t were not at all comfortable with this - [for obvious reasons !] he was adamant that all would be okay with housemates[they disagreed], after a fairly lengthy chat, he agreed to move to one of my other properties where people where not aware of the incident and stayed there as a model T for nearly 3 years.

In nearly 20 yrs of letting and a head count of >100 tenants at any one time, i have NEVER needed to resort to legal action EVER [altho i have threatened it once or twice!]

Most people are fairly sensible if treated in a sensible and reasonable manner - no matter what the circumstances are.

If they are not - then your systems need re- evaluating - with particular attention given to initial referencing and explaining management systems at the outset.

Personally I would not be issuing S8 or S21 just yet, the guy has said he is leaving already - now work with him [not against him] to achieve desired result..........and start hoping you are actually getting rid of the correct toublesome T...and that the young lady is not the real problem.
                        A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                        W.Churchill

Comment

I have just spoken again with the girl. She decided not to press charges as she is afraid he will seek revenge.
                          AFAIK, it is the Crown Prosecution Service who decides whether or not to prosecute, not the victim. The girl may have decided to withdraw her cooperation, but the CPS can still choose to prosecute the attacker.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                            I though that with ground 14 it could be immediate.

Anyone know otherwise?
                            Yes. There's no waiting period for g14, whether used alone or with other grounds. Serve the s.8 Notice, then immediately begin proceedings.
                            However, there's a different problem! Is the offender:
                            a. a sole T of his part of the premises; or
                            b. a joint T with one or more other people? In this second case, you cannot terminate 'his' tenancy but only the whole tenancy of them all.
                            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X