Termination of Contract by the Tenant.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termination of Contract by the Tenant.

Hi there, I am in a bit of a situation and I was wondering if anyone in here could give me some help. heres the situation.

I live in a house with 2 rooms, i live there with my partner and a friend, recently me and my friend lost our jobs and will not be able to afford the rent, i contacted the Landlord about this and suggested he kept the deposit as a months rent and so we would move at the end of the month. Now the landlord refused and said we had to fill the house or we would be liable to pay the rent nevertheless (hes making it really hard).

Anyways our boiler has had serious problems and doesnt work most of the time and when it does it makes a really loud banging noise, the landlord has been warned about this more then a month ago he said he would take action and nothing has been done so far.
    He has also came into the house got inside without any notice, to apparently show the house to possibly interested people.

So i was wondering if i could declare this as breach of contract and terminate the contract on the grounds that he has not made urgent repairs to the boiler and he has also invaded our privacy.

Thank You

when does you tenancy agreement actually end?

the repairs etc... are not grounds for terminating a tenancy early.

Comment

the contract ends in the end of june, but as me and my friend are unemployed we wont be able to pay the rent, that why we want to move.

Regarding the boiler, the thing is its been broken for 1 month and a half the landlord has been made aware of it when it broke and he hasnt fixed it yet, i think i read somewhere that you can terminate the contract earlier if repairs need doing and havent been done, since you dont have the required conditions for living.

I just wanted to make sure if this was possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Guizas View Post
        the contract ends in the end of june, but as me and my friend are unemployed we wont be able to pay the rent, that why we want to move.

Regarding the boiler, the thing is its been broken for 1 month and a half the landlord has been made aware of it when it broke and he hasnt fixed it yet, i think i read somewhere that you can terminate the contract earlier if repairs need doing and havent been done, since you dont have the required conditions for living.

I just wanted to make sure if this was possible.
        As littlemisslettings says, this would not normally be sufficient grounds to breach your contract - 2 wrongs don't make a right

You should be liaising with your local councils environmental health officer as they have the power to enforce certain repairs - this could be one of them as it falls within the remit of the 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act.

This advice may also be a route to a solution for your problem.
        http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad..._doing_repairs

Of course, you final option - and some would say most effective - would be to vote with both your feet and your wallet and leave in June (no notice required).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          Jcg76
          I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
          Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
          24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          Jcg76
          Thanks for the above info, especially the 20-30% info, I wanted to get an idea of the standard/reasonable amount.
          He does have permission, but we were not informed, although our lease stipulates that we cannot object to any of his building works. SO not a lot I can do about that.
          Can anyone...
          25-07-2017, 20:24 PM
        • Tenant application form
          Elum
          Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
          25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
        • Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
          aciduzzo
          I will have three guarantors as there are three (student) tenants. The agency has sent me a guarantee-of-deed sample, but i'm not sure whether i should send a separate one to all guarantors, or just have one listing all guarantors. What do others on here do?
          25-07-2017, 10:05 AM
        • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
          aciduzzo
          I've used landlordreferencing.co.uk for the referencing and RGI. They seem to think it's standard to ask the guarantors to guarantee the full amount. They weren't even sure whether they could provide RGI if the guarantors are only liable for 1/3 rent. So i have asked them to check with the underwriter...
          25-07-2017, 18:19 PM
        • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          Pb21
          Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
          25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
        • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          leaseholder64
          It is typically a condition of insurance that there be secure, morticed deadlock, at least for contents insurance....
          25-07-2017, 17:09 PM
        • AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
          scooter08
          Hi, Guys, I have posted a few threads on this forum now and although the section 21 notice is probably invalid I don't want to let the landlord know that yet.
          I'm after help with writing my landlord a letter. He wants us out on the 31/07/17 and keeps asking me how I intend to leave the keys for...
          25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
        • Reply to AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
          scooter08
          I hear you Wright76 we're stressed out as well. We have 3 kids all with additional needs so don't want any court action and definitely not bailiffs. My landlord doesn't understand why I'm being picky, with the needs my kids have they all need separate rooms. I haven't told the landlord this as it's...
          25-07-2017, 16:45 PM
        • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          Pb21
          Thanks for your reply jpkeates, although just so I am clear and for the avoidance of doubt is your statement that as there has been damage while we were responsible for the property we are, consequently, responsible for the damage, your opinion or a fact?
          25-07-2017, 16:17 PM
        Working...
        X