Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another S21 help request

Hello

I've been reading up on S.21 but my head hurts trying to fill the form in and hope some experienced people on here will help me get it correct.

I want to evict a tenant currently on a 6 month AST, in england, which started on the 14th Jan 2010. I find it difficult to get him to pay the rent on time and he's too messy so just want to get rid of him. He's not in arrears.

So on the form should I be ticking that I'm: serving the S21 whilst the tenancy is on fixed term and should the date of possession be: 15th June 2010?

Also is it good practice to just give a S.8 at the same time as the S.21 so help with getting the possession of the property faster if the tenant doesn't leave on the S.21 expiry date?

any help would be gratefully received

Originally posted by spicy_ View Post
    Hello

I've been reading up on S.21 but my head hurts trying to fill the form in and hope some experienced people on here will help me get it correct.

I want to evict a tenant currently on a 6 month AST, in england, which started on the 14th Jan 2010. I find it difficult to get him to pay the rent on time and he's too messy so just want to get rid of him. He's not in arrears.

So on the form should I be ticking that I'm: serving the S21 whilst the tenancy is on fixed term and should the date of possession be: 15th June 2010?

Also is it good practice to just give a S.8 at the same time as the S.21 so help with getting the possession of the property faster if the tenant doesn't leave on the S.21 expiry date?

any help would be gratefully received
    Why do you think the s21 can expire on 14th June when it is a six month fixed term beginning on 14th January?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

ahh sorry my fault, it's getting late. I mean't 15th July 2010 (that would be exactly 6 months after the AST start date)

Comment

You can serve a s21 (4) b to expire after 14th July or a s8 ground 11 (persistent late rent payment), but the s8 will not result in a mandatory possession order; it would be discretionary.

You could serve them both, but unless your T owes you at least the equivalent of two months' rent - in which case you can add ground 8 to your s8, which is mandatory grounds for possession- I doubt it will be worth it. There are costs associated with s8.

If he is paying his rent I am not sure why you are in such a hurry to 'evict' him?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          You can serve a s21 (4) b to expire after 14th July
          If tenancy started 14th Jan, then s21 would expire "after 13th July" and need to be served by 13th May

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            You can serve a s21 (4) b to expire after 14th July or a s8 ground 11 (persistent late rent payment), but the s8 will not result in a mandatory possession order; it would be discretionary.

You could serve them both, but unless your T owes you at least the equivalent of two months' rent - in which case you can add ground 8 to your s8, which is mandatory grounds for possession- I doubt it will be worth it. There are costs associated with s8.

If he is paying his rent I am not sure why you are in such a hurry to 'evict' him?
            Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            If tenancy started 14th Jan, then s21 would expire "after 13th July" and need to be served by 13th May
            A Notice served during the fixed term should comply with s.21(1)(b), not s.21(4)(a).
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
              by Forgetmeknot
              Thankyou for your replies.

Taking on board your comments but interested in how you think it is two separate things….?
              One action was the direct cause of another land if I’m in court disputing amount of money owed isn’t that the time to be arguing my case? Not to be receiving...
              19-05-2022, 08:32 AM
            • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
              by Forgetmeknot
              I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
              so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
              18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
            • Reply to Single parent renting
              by doobrey
              Certainly.

In my view, both sides must be free to choose. If you take away the right of businesses (which LLs are, whether they consider themselves to be or not) to assess risk and respond accordingly they will not be in business for very long. And if the LLs disappear then...
              19-05-2022, 08:18 AM
            • Single parent renting
              by Dct
              A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
              18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
              by Dct
              The UC is too help pay for childcare, so she can work ( and does work full time), therefore pay rent/bills etc etc. It just feels like some landlords make sweeping judgements as soon as they hear single parent in receipt of UC
              19-05-2022, 08:16 AM
            • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
              by DoricPixie
              You don't need to get the details from the Land Registry. The tenant can request, in writing, the letting agency to supply the landlord's contact details citing the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. I'm not sure how wise that would be if it could potentially hack off the landlord although I do wonder...
              19-05-2022, 08:09 AM
            • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
              by Renterthedragon
              I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
              18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
              by jpkeates
              Dct If the reason that your friend can't get a tenancy is because she's a woman or because she has children, it is probably discriminatory.
              Which is probably a reason no one is going to explain why she's being turned down.

Being on benefits isn't going to help either - because people...
              19-05-2022, 08:02 AM
              by jpkeates
              I can't tell you how hacked off I would be if one of my tenants did that.

The agreement has a price variation clause in it, the landlord and tenant have both agreed to it,...
              19-05-2022, 07:58 AM
              by theartfullodger
              Spend £3 with gov.uk land registry and get deeds which will get owner name and address then communicate directly
              Agree with above advice

Agent probably wants new agreement signed so they charge landlord fees....
              19-05-2022, 07:21 AM
            Working...
            X