Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advice if possible please

Hi

Not sure if anyone here will be able to help or if you would be willing to give a tenant some advice.

We moved into our lovely ground floor flat 10 months ago in a lovely quiet area and we thought everything was perfect. That was until we learnt we have a Godzilla living above us.

I've made numerous complaints to both the tenants upstairs and our landlord, and nothing has been resolved. We have to deal with slamming doors, stomping up the stairs, bellowing out of the front windows, smoking outside our front window with front door left open, loud conversations in the hallway, people round at all hours, children being cared for (one of them is a nanny) upstairs etc. We were never informed of any of these problems when we moved in, just that a couple lived upstairs. We've since found out that a couple and her sister live upstairs - the sister is the main issue.

As I've said I have complained to both them and the landlord. The couple seem more willing to be considerate but the sister is prone to throwing a hissy fit when ever I point things out to her.

All this has come to a head with us finding out we are paying for the hallway light which is constantly left on. I've grown tired of switching it off before I go to bed and have resulted to removing the lightbulb (and every one they put in there) which has resulted in more stomping. The landlord has said he will put in a motion sensor switch which will cut down on the time it is left on, but I worry this will end in more problems. I've reached the end of my tether with it all, but being both stubborn (and broke!) I refuse to move out. I consider myself a good tenant - pay rent early, tell the landlord when problems occur, nice to elderly neighbours etc but feel that I am being done over.

Please help me with some advice of where to go now with resolving these issues and making my house a home again.

Thanks

I am sorry to hear about the situation - it must be very frustrating for you.

Your first port of call should perhaps be the freeholder, who may be able to require their LL to enforce any clauses in their leases about quiet, etc.

What you also need to do is keep an accurate written log of the disturbances every time they occur: times, type of problem, any contact with the Noisy Ones. Keep a log for two weeks then if the freeholder/LL has had no success in getting them to be more considerate, contact your local council and make a complaint to the Environmental Health Officer or Noise Abatement dept. They can visit your upstairs neighbours and put pressure on them to be quieter.

If the LL for both flats is the same person then you could tell him that due to the unbearable levels of noise from the flat above, you are considering moving out as soon as your fixed term ends. If he has any sense he will serve notice on the upstairs tenants.

Also, if one of them is effectively running a childminding business from home, she is probably breaching the terms of her lease which will prohibit using the premises as a workplace. If she is or should be a registered childminder, the flat may be unsuitable anyway as there are a whole host of regulations (fire, safety etc) - standards which the property may not come up to. Tell the the freeholder and tell the council.

You might find this related thread interesting/useful:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=27174
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hello Doris, don't worry please about asking for advice on this forum. All individuals involved in letting property are welcome here be they tenants, landlords, property agents - and in at least one instance to my knowledge a practicing conveyancing solicitor! We are all happy to help anyone we can either with common sense advice based on our experiences in the property market and some of our contributors are property or legal professionals.

P.P.
      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Thank you for all the information - I am going to put the log advice into action this weekend!

Hopefully something can be sorted soon, but don't worry I will be back if they try something else

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Part Admission of Debt MCOL Help!
          nessa
          Hi, hoping someone can help.

First claim on mcol, so I’m finding my feet.

I have just received forms n9a and n9b from the court, regarding the defendants part admission to my claim started in mcol.

However that was all I have received, I received no other forms...
          24-01-2018, 06:15 AM
        • Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
          Sonofahod
          Hi There,

I am planning to move out of a shared rental property in March. Foxtons, the agency managing the property want to charge me a £300 "Change of Occupancy" administration fee as we have not reached the full term of the tenancy. I realise that the fee covers both me leaving...
          23-01-2018, 13:16 PM
        • Reply to Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
          mariner
          Your information is severely deficient,
          Of course a move out inspection can be chargedeven with no move in report.
          You accepted LA fees by proceeding with Application.
          Deposit ADR cannot be used to contest Agency fees.
          24-01-2018, 02:53 AM
        • Attending Court - Advice Please
          Muzza
          Hi there

I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
          12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
        • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
          Muzza
          Thank you, Ill take a look!
          24-01-2018, 02:31 AM
        • Broken Boiler
          andy967
          HI - our boiler broke yesterday - our landlord is currently waiting for a quote for a new boiler - however one of the problems we have is that she lives abroad. It consequently means she's able to speak to people in the uk about any sort of business matter for 3 hours in the afternoon. I'm wondering...
          23-01-2018, 13:55 PM
        • Reply to Broken Boiler
          Muzza
          I live in the US at the moment, 7 hours behind the UK, yes its difficult BUT when my boiler broke I had someone out within 2 days, one thing she should have in place is a boiler cover or she should have tradesmen lined up who she trusts so if something goes wrong she can get in touch with them immediately,...
          24-01-2018, 02:29 AM
        • Section 8 notice served, what next
          lakemk
          Hi section 8 notice was served for rent arrears last wk, it doesn’t look like the tenant is going to pay , my question is what should I do next to prepare me for the court as I never been.

I ve seen the post before abt the tenant may defend for disrepair, the house in fairly good condition...
          22-01-2018, 21:46 PM
        • Reply to Section 8 notice served, what next
          Muzza
          Hi - I attended court a few weeks ago, we used several grounds in the section 8, the mandatory one being the rent arrears, they didnt put a defence in, show up or pay so the judge just asked for proof I had served the section 8 (proof of postage receipts from the PO) and an up to date rent statement...
          24-01-2018, 02:24 AM
        • Leak into downstairs flat - advice
          Dberry
          Hi,

I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
          I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
          23-01-2018, 08:50 AM
        Working...
        X