My landlord has given me notice - but has he done it correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi again,

Firstly thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply.

I would like to give an update.

There is some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I have been offered a new job in another part of the country (which is more money so I'm very happy). This will mean a move anyway, complete with a relocation package so I will be able to move out in the timescales given, so am not too concerned about the incorrect notice being served as it saves me serving my own notice to leave.

The bad news is that my mum is currently in hospital. I have also been really busy at work due to it being the tax year end. At the moment I have been leaving the house at 6m, going to my mums to walk her dog then going to work. I've been leaving work at 2pm to visit my mum in hospital and go back to her house to walk the dog again, then going back to work to try and keep on top of things. Fortunatly my mum's neighbour is very kind and is walking the dog in the evenings for me and is keeping an eye on the house.

My employer is understanding and have said if I cannot relocate straight away due to my mum's situation, I can work from a local office here until she's better. If necessery I will stay at her house for a few weeks (although the doctor says she should be back to normal then). My sister will also be back from holiday next week so there will be another family member close by if there are any emergancies.

Due to the situation with my mum, and work, I have told the landlord he cannot carry out any viewings at the moment. I have said that I will allow viewings as soon as my mum is better or work is not as busy. But my family, work and finding somewhere to live in London take priorty over helping him to sell his house.

I have not mentioned the issues with the notice period or deposit at this stage. They are in reserve in case he causes me any more problems.

Hopefully he will be understanding and wait until I confirm what can happen next. But if not then I shall point out the issue with the deposit and also change the locks. And he can wait until I have vacated the property before letting anyone view.

Comment

Originally posted by Worried T View Post
      Thank you both.

However the conditions of him doing that are:

1) he either protects or returns my deposit immediatly

# Not a reasonable request. Why should he? Your tenancy would have stated details about deposits and this is not an issue for you to debate really. He should have protected it though in a suitable scheme and you can ask him why he has not done this and to get him to do it now...otherwise there is little he can do to remove you! So LL should agree to protect it now which is to your benefit and advisable.

2) that no photographs/viewings are to take place until the last month of my tenancy, and any such viewings should be arranged with 48 hours notice, at times specified by me and limited to not more than two occasions per week.

# Again why would you be unreasonable here? The LL wishes to sell up and probably has mortgage to pay off etc. After a good amount of time in this arrangement together why not part amicably? It is a reasonable request. Let them take pictures and market properly. You can dictate when the viewings are to be though. How about twice weekly - at time to suit you, e.g. Sat mornings 10-12pm and Wed Eves 6-9pm. The agent must give 24 hours notice that he intends to view as well. Fair?

How would I stand if a "For Sale" sign was erected? Last time I lived in a house with one of these, I was constantly getting callers at the door asking to view! Do I have any rights not to have a For Sale sign errected?
      Probably a decent request to not have a sign. LL should agree.
      Chas.

Comment

L as owner cannot be prohibited from erecting a 'For Sale' sign, and the Letting Agreement probably reserves a right to do this anyway.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          L as owner cannot be prohibited from erecting a 'For Sale' sign, and the Letting Agreement probably reserves a right to do this anyway.
          But if not in the agreement, does this not breach of tenants "exclusive occupation rights" which must surely encompass the external grounds where the sign will be erected.

Comment

Yes. L cannot enter the premises to erect a sign unless the right to do is reserved.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
              Yes, you can move out with a month's notice to end on the last day of a rent payment period.
              Make that: "...to end on the last or first day of a period of the tenancy."

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                Make that: "...to end on the last or first day of a period of the tenancy."
                Apologies. I don't know why I wrote that.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                  by DoricPixie
                  In the opening post you said there was 6 month fixed term AST with both your niece and her now-ex-partner named as joint tenants. Now you are saying there was never a tenancy agreement drawn up.

With the benefit of hindsight it would have been better if you'd had your niece pay money into...
                  27-10-2021, 06:33 AM
                • Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                  by Yorkie2020
                  Good evening all,

I wonder if I could get some advice on ending an AST tenancy in England.

Originally a 6 month AST last Sept between my niece and her partner, I foolishly listed both on the AST as joint tenants and didn't list him as a permitted, there was no deposit paid....
                  20-10-2021, 19:44 PM
                • Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                  by Yorkie2020
                  Guess I've been very lucky this time. My niece has informed her partner that she is ending the tenancy and signing up for a new one in her name only and he is ok with it. She did point out that he will no longer be responsible for any more rent or bills when it's totally in her name.
                  JPkeats,...
                  27-10-2021, 02:02 AM
                • Reply to Increasing rent
                  by jpkeates
                  There may be something on the NRLA website, but I don't know of a standard template.

To be honest that clause doesn't seem to help you a lot, it stops you using a s13 notice (I'd wrongly assumed that because it said "may" you'd be able to) but doesn't actually help you with an...
                  26-10-2021, 17:37 PM
                • Increasing rent
                  by Berlingogirl
                  Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
                  My tenancy agreement says
                  “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
                  Is there a specific form I should use?...
                  26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
                  by Berlingogirl
                  Thanks jpkeates, I looked at the form 13 but that’s for if you don’t have anything in your tenancy agreement with regard to a rent increase. Is there a pro forma for a rent increase if there is a condition in your TA?
                  26-10-2021, 17:05 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  If the tenancy is now an SPT, and you want to be ever so formal (and impose the increase without any agreement), search for form 13 (which is called something else on the government's tenancy forms page).

Otherwise, you just need to get the tenant to agree and start paying the new rent...
                  26-10-2021, 13:58 PM
                • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                  by jpkeates
                  It is quite likely that the 2 additional months might be seen as a deposit, unless the tenancy agreement is very specific about the initial payment being for months 1, 5 and 6.

If it is a deposit, you won't be able to use a s21 notice without returning it and the deposit will be unlawful...
                  26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
                • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                  by Shorif908
                  Hi All,

I have recently had new tenants move in.
                  the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
                  26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
                • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                  by Lesney Park
                  BUT to answer your question, yes the 3 months very much look like an unlawful deposit, being for a non-defined period (the last 3 months of a tenancy). If it is for a specific 3 months, its a bit lesss grey but then I'm wondering what you hope to achieve...
                  26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
                Working...
                X