Ants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ants

My tenants have reported an ant infestation. Apparently powder isn't doing the trick.

As landlord do I have an obligation to do anything to try and sort this out?

I don't know whether you have an obligation to do anything or not .. ants can get in anywhere so its not like you could have prevented it! you didn't say but I'm assuming its indoors?

They need to get some Nippon GEL (not powder) or a similar product that the ants take back to their nest and then get killed off in there .. it WILL take about a week - 10 days to see a result. It won't happen overnight.

If they put a little jam in a saucer along their path to entice them and smear the gel round the edge of the saucer and on top of the jam they will take it back to the nest and eventually kill off the colony. It needs to be done daily and gradually they will see a reduction in numbers.

Failing that tell them to ring the council (or you ring them) and get their advice.

I don't see what else you can do - sorry I can't be more helpful
    Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Originally posted by JNoles
      My tenants have reported an ant infestation. Apparently powder isn't doing the trick.

As landlord do I have an obligation to do anything to try and sort this out?
      Many council pest control departments do not deal with an ant infestation.I can only suggest that you us an approved pesticide(nippon).As you are a landlord you are not technically responsible for this type of pest.
      Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X