Landlord wanting access for viewings.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord wanting access for viewings.......

Hi, i'm new here. Been browsing the forum for a while so thought it was time to register

We have just given 2 months notice to our landlord that we want to move out.

Literally a couple of days later we were being bombarded with voicemails from estate agents saying that they have arranged viewings at a certain time without even checking if it's ok with us first! and that if we don't respond to the voicemails that they leave they will simply let themselves in with the key that the landlord has given them to use (the landlord didn't even inform us that they had given someone a set of keys to the property!)

My o.h is on night shift for 3 weeks and therefore sleeps in the day, which is not ideal when there are people wanting to let themselve in to view the house!

We raised these concerns with the landlord and simply got a reply stating that:
    a) it's not their fault that he has to sleep
    b) they have every right to enter the house as long as they give us notice that they are going to do so 24hrs in advance either by voicemail or other means.
    c) They have every right to access with 24 hours notice at all reasonable hours of the day 7 days a week in the last 2 months of the tenancy as in our tenancy agreement it states.......... '3.28 during the last 2 months of the tenancy to permit the landlord or their agent on reasonable notice to enter the property with prospective purchasers or tenants at all reasonable hours of the day to view the property'

We have explained our situation about being on night shift etc and have suggested alternative dates and times for viewings. The landlord's reply was that it is unacceptable and if we continue to deny access at all reasonable hours of the day they will look to recover any losses incured due to us denying them access and take legal action!!

My questions are:
    1) Does our right to have 'quiet enjoyment' of the property whilst we are still paying rent override the clause about allowing access at all reasonable times of the day?
    2) What is considered 'reasonable times'? as to us reasonable times on a night shift would be when my o.h is not asleep in bed!
    3) How will they be able to calculate any 'losses incured'?
    4) Are we within our rights to deny access completely as the 'viewings' are nothing to do with repairs or to inspect the state of the property by the landlord?
    5) Will any of this affect getting our deposit back at the end of our tenancy?

Sorry for the long read, just thought it'd make it easier to put as much detail in as possible! lol

Many Thanks in advance

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Objection to letting a garage
    steve-123
    I own a flat in a block that I rent out to a doctor.

I've been renting the flat's garage separately for the past two years to a builder who uses it to store work tools and equipment.

Another lease holder in the building has complained about this and is asking that the garage...
    16-09-2019, 20:26 PM
  • Reply to Objection to letting a garage
    leaseholder64
    There is probably also a clause not to sub-let any part, but even without that, I would agree that you are breaching the lease.
    16-09-2019, 20:34 PM
  • Repair costs after burglary my responsibility or not
    aco19
    Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago burglars broke into my rental property late evening. The tenants were not home. There was damage to the back door. The tenants called the police, who then called a repair man for the door. The tenants did call me, but it was 3am and I was asleep and did not...
    16-09-2019, 13:20 PM
  • Reply to Repair costs after burglary my responsibility or not
    AndrewDod
    I think we need more information from the OP to answer this at all. OP, what exactly was the condition of the entrance --

a) What was damaged exactly?
    b) What was repaired exactly?
    c) What was the minimum that could have been done to secure the door against intruders?
    16-09-2019, 20:30 PM
  • Problems with a Management Agency
    BlueMystery
    My son took a 6 month AST out in October 2018.

In March 2019, the management agency advised if he wanted to stay in the property he needed an extension to the agreement, and charged him £90 for the priviledge - although they gave him nothing in the form of new paperwork. He simply signed...
    11-09-2019, 13:32 PM
  • Reply to Problems with a Management Agency
    leaseholder64
    It's not illegal, or at least not based on recent legislation. There is a transition period in which exit charges still apply, if agreement was made before June.

There are cases where charges may be made because of exceptional arrangements, even when the new law is fully applied.
    16-09-2019, 20:23 PM
  • licensee vs tenant
    imjustbait
    i have been given 14 days notice -

i asked my friend for help and to sort things out if possible, as he works in lettings etc -

he said to be this is a licensee contract not an (AST) one - (i didnt know)

basically, i want to know what rights i have to...
    07-02-2019, 20:58 PM
  • Reply to licensee vs tenant
    imjustbait
    before this letter, I received a letter of order from the courts saying:

it is hereby heard in court that:

the licence agreement is in a different name to the claimant (or something like that)

im assuming it has something to do with the licence agreement and it...
    16-09-2019, 20:09 PM
  • Reply to Problems with a Management Agency
    BlueMystery
    As an update ** I would appreciate comments on the legality of the following statement received by my son in an email from the Agents today ***

They have listed the fees they want to levy on him from his deposit and have cited the following statement

"£50 + vat for XYZ...
    16-09-2019, 20:08 PM
  • Reply to licensee vs tenant
    KTC

How on earth did the landlord's claim get struck out when you didn't bother to turn up?

16-09-2019, 20:05 PM
Working...
X