Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deposit return and section 21

Hi,

I have a section 21 issued on a couple who are separating. One has given notice to end at the fixed term of an AST 31 of April. Mrs T is opted for a council house hence sec21 to run out 31 May. I have aprotected deposit in MR T name only. For the sec 21 to be valid on the 31 May when Mr T has gone, do I somehow need to get it into Mrs T name, after all Mr T has played by the rules so Im not evicting him after the 1st May, I will be evicting Mrs T only.

Originally posted by Mark1564 View Post
    Hi,

I have a section 21 issued on a couple who are separating. One has given notice to end at the fixed term of an AST 31 of April. Mrs T is opted for a council house hence sec21 to run out 31 May. I have aprotected deposit in MR T name only. For the sec 21 to be valid on the 31 May when Mr T has gone, do I somehow need to get it into Mrs T name, after all Mr T has played by the rules so Im not evicting him after the 1st May, I will be evicting Mrs T only.
    Presuming the tenancy is in Joint Names, then the responsibility will be joint & several - ie Mr T is responsible for the actions/debts of Mrs T and vice-versa.

The deposit is registered in only one name, but that is associated with the AST - which has 2 names.

There is no reason at all why you can't return the deposit to Mr T whan you want - but by doing so you are denying yourself access to the funds currently held by DPS once this saga is over.

Until the tenancy is over (ie both have left) there is no obligation upon you to do anything with the deposit.

Comment

Hi Snorkez,

The deposit is registered in one name who is on the AST, however now that Mr T (deposit holder has given me one months notice) he will be gone and therefore not part of the AST after the end of the fixed term even though his name remains on it. I just need to be sure so that when I go for a posession order my paper work is straight.

Comment

The deposit is registered in one name who is on the AST
        Just to be clear, are you saying that the only name on your ast is that of Mr T?

If that is correct, I think that information should have been given in your earlier threads, because it changes the advice that you have been given.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post
          Just to be clear, are you saying that the only name on your ast is that of Mr T?

If that is correct, I think that information should have been given in your earlier threads, because it changes the advice that you have been given.
          I agree with Mrs Mug, that would change your situation dramatically.

Comment

I think Ive confused you. It does say at the initial post of this thread that Mr T is the only one with his name on the protected deposit both Mr and mrs T names are on the AST, however Mr T has given notice to the end of the fixed term. Mrs T has not and therefore the only person I need to evict as Mr T will be gone.

Comment

In that case, Mr T gives notice on behalf of both (that's automatic) and if they don't both go, then the tenancy hasn't ended and the deposit does not NEED to be returned. As I said earlier - you can - but you would be giving away the opportunity to easily recover some of your costs etc.

Comment

Hi Snorkez,

The deposit is registered in one name who is on the AST, however now that Mr T (deposit holder has given me one months notice) he will be gone and therefore not part of the AST after the end of the fixed term even though his name remains on it. I just need to be sure so that when I go for a posession order my paper work is straight.
                He will remain part of the statutory periodic tenancy (and be jointly & severally liable) until either the tenancy ends or both tenants assign the tenancy just to Mrs T - this could not be done without your authorisation, which you would be well advised to withold.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                  Berlingogirl
                  This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
                  27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
                • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                  Berlingogirl
                  I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
                  27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
                • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                  BouwensPB
                  I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
                  26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
                • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                  Wright76
                  You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
                  27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
                • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                  theartfullodger
                  Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
                  27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                • Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
                  purpleangel
                  Our potential new landlady has 'approved us in principle' but wants to meet us at the house as the final part in the referencing process. Beside the obvious such as look smart, tidy and professional and warn the kids to behave, any particular tips for making sure this last hurdle goes smoothly?
                  26-07-2017, 10:11 AM
                • Reply to Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
                  Wright76
                  Some of the above comments are crazy!. If they have aleady done their referencing and credit checks then they likely just want to meet you.

As someone said above, they are trusting you with their very valuable asset.

As a landlord I couldn't care less what clothes someone...
                  27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                • Landlord Address
                  bsward
                  Hello,

Tenancy finished a couple of months ago. The landlord withheld part of the deposit for a variety of reasons. As the tenant, I disputed those deductions as incorrect - they contradict the Checkout Report which was completed by an agent of the Landlord but that's besides the point....
                  27-07-2017, 09:58 AM
                • Reply to Landlord Address
                  theartfullodger
                  As the tenancy has finished you have no right to his address from agent.

Have you spent £3 with land registry to get deeds of property & see who is listed as owner & what address?? (Landlord may not be owner... legal, no very uncommon...)
                  https://www.gov.uk/search-propert...
                  27-07-2017, 18:59 PM
                • Tenant's energy debt.
                  Gordonmrln
                  I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                  20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                Working...
                X