Continuing a tenancy when one tenant moves out

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Continuing a tenancy when one tenant moves out

    We have a flat which is currently let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy to two tenants and ends at the end of April. One of the tenants is moving out but the other wants to stay on and have the tenancy in his name only. We don't want to issue another AST in his name only as we are selling the flat and don't want to wait 6 months. We wanted to let it continue as a periodic tenancy but in his name only.

    Does anyone have any ideas how we could do this?

    The tenant knows we are hoping to sell and is happy with 2 months / 1 months notice

    Thanks very much

    Well, you can pick one of these options:
    1. New sole-name letting for T2.
    2. SPT in joint names of T1+T2.
    3. T1+T2 assign existing letting to T2.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


    Latest Activity