AST prepared by letting agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST prepared by letting agent

I have just let a property using a letting agent. They have signed the tenancy agreement but is it a requirement for me as the landlord to have signed the AST as well?

No, if you have instructed them as your agent then thats fine.

Comment

Originally posted by scribbler View Post
      is it a requirement for me as the landlord to have signed the AST as well?
      It is not a requirement, but surely you want to know what your tenants have signed, what it says about your obligations your agent has put on you.

Sub headings in the AST will, should or could include the following:

Tenant's obligations.
      e.g. to pay the council tax, water, t.v. licence etc. etc.
      Often they are told to keep the grass and hedges cut, even though a paid gardener may do this. ( silly agents !)
      Repairs
      e.g. Keep the property clean, tidy, etc
      e.g. To notify landlord of dry rot, infestations etc.
      e.g. not to block drains
      Landlords Obligations
      e.g. to have buildings insurance, Will not be liable for third party services etc, etc.
      Tenancy Deposit Protection Prescribed Information

Housing benefit
      etc etc

You realy NEED to know what the agent has said you are liable for.

The AST should include the following , as well.
      Perform and observe all valid obligations, a copy of which of which has been provided to the tenant, of any headlease ( Your lease ) or covenant on the property etc etc,
      So the tenants have to behave in the same manner that you have to, if you were living there.

The agents are paid by you, are your agents, you can ask for anything. And you want a copy of the lease they signed, no explanation as to why is needed.

The tenancy is between you and the tenant. The agents only act on your behalf, so get to see what you have said you are liable for in the AST.

R.a.M

Comment

R.a.M 's post is quite correct, though I would have thought such provisions should have been checked before any agreement was signed with the agency.

This is by no means criticism of OP if he didn't do so - I have failed to do so in the past - but just a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by scribbler View Post
          signed the AST as well?
          My Earlier post assumed you had not seen the AST, and apologies if you have seen it and studied it.
          The tenancy is between you and the tenant, but your agents are acting on your behalf and sign on your behalf.

always good for new Landlords to ask for copy of blank AST to check, and ask questions regarding items you don't understand. Such as giving your tenants notice to quit before they have moved in ! !

See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=27175

R.a.M.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
            by DoricPixie
            It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
            28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
          • Renting rooms
            by Luke
            I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
            I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
            I do not intend to live at the property
            Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
            As its...
            28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
          • Reply to Renting rooms
            by DoricPixie
            I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
            28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
          • Reply to Renting rooms
            by theartfullodger
            Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
            28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
          • Reply to Renting rooms
            by Hudson01
            If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
            28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by jpkeates
            That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
            The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
            28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
          • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by Piffy
            I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
            27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
          • Reply to Renting rooms
            by DoricPixie
            You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
            28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by DoricPixie
            I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
            28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
          Working...
          X