Tenant gives notice while in rent arrears!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant gives notice while in rent arrears!

Tenant is on housing benefits. Tenant is in rent rent arrears (more than 2 months), thus rent is paid directly to LL by the council.

Now, tenant has given "leaving" notice to our agents dated 24/03/10 that he will be leaving on 20/3/10.

Please advise.. can he move out leaving arrears? What action should I take, with such a short time (he has not even given 1 full month's notice). Telephoned the council and they do not know about his notice to leave. By the way, he is retired and has no earned income, all his children are relaxing full time at home, thus unemployed.
    Thanks. K.

Originally posted by kiran View Post
    Now, tenant has given "leaving" notice to our agents dated 24/03/10 that he will be leaving on 20/3/10.

Please check these dates - they don't seem to make sense.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

can he move out leaving arrears?
      Yes, he can. You can pursue him for the debt via the county court but as the tenant is on benefits he is unlikely to be able to pay you except in tiny installments. (I don't suppose you got a guarantor for the rent?)

(he has not even given 1 full month's notice).
      If the tenancy is a periodic AST then he must give you at least one month's notice, to expire at the end of the rental period. If the tenancy is still within the fixed term, T is liable for rent for the whole of the fixed term, and cannot give notice to end it earlier.

Comment

my error... notice dated 24/03/10 leaving on 20/04/10

Sorry, the notice is dated 24 March 10 and leaving date is stated as 20th of April 2010.

Comment

Thanks for your prompt reply W.

You are right, too slim chance to recover arrears. Also, can't see much point in disputing for 4 days short notice..

Thus, a tenant can build up any amount of arrears of rent and can leave when ever it suits him and make a fresh start, only to build up again fresh 8 weeks rent arrears with another poor landlord! Council should have some fair policy in place to stop him abusing "8 weeks" arrear rule. K.

Comment

I should think that if the LL is already getting the rent paid directly then the final cheque would be for the full month, unless the LL allows the early surrender. He can't stop the tenant leaving but he does not have to agree to the short notice period.

Please correct me if that's wrong.
            I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Council should have some fair policy in place to stop him abusing "8 weeks" arrear rule. K.
              See this link
              http://landlordlaw.blogspot.com/2009...rs-can-be.html

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
                I should think that if the LL is already getting the rent paid directly then the final cheque would be for the full month
                I believe that the local authority will only pay the rent for the time that the tenant is in occupation and so will chase the LL for any overppayment and the LL will have to take the tenant to court for any fulfillment of the contract, as the contract is between the LL and the tenant and not between the LL and the local authority

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Algae and Moss on Steps
                  SGB100
                  Our tenant occupies on an AST 6 month term, the flat is accessible only from rear concrete steps (they only serve their flat these steps do not provide access for other areas) and on inspection we found the steps to be covered in moss and algae whose responsibility is it to clean this?
                  16-01-2018, 15:20 PM
                • Reply to Algae and Moss on Steps
                  DPT57
                  This should really be covered by a clause in your tenancy agreement. If it isn't then draft an addendum now for use next time....
                  16-01-2018, 19:16 PM
                • Termination of Tenancy
                  janeygee
                  Hi,
                  looking for some practical advice here, first post.I shall try to hit the main points and be brief.
                  I have been renting my house to a couple whilst I have been out of the UK with a private rental contract, visiting the house once a year. They have been renting for 10 years , on a one...
                  15-01-2018, 15:34 PM
                • Reply to Termination of Tenancy
                  DPT57
                  As JPK says, let them leave before pressing some of the these issues. If you haven't served a proper s21 notice then they could make your life very difficult and make you wait before giving up possession....
                  16-01-2018, 19:14 PM
                • Periodic S21
                  royesjaffia
                  Good Day All,
                  I am a new landlord and as such decided to not undertake the task of all the nuances of letting so I hired a letting agency.

Things went smoothly until I wanted the tenant to leave. The date the tenant was to leave was the 13th of January. To date, he still has not left...
                  15-01-2018, 15:14 PM
                • Reply to Periodic S21
                  DPT57
                  Serve notice yourself and then assuming you instructed the Agent to serve notice on the tenant and they failed to do so, cancel the contract with them and report their incompetence to whichever redress scheme they are part of....
                  16-01-2018, 18:57 PM
                • Take agent or inventory company to court?
                  Spencerjdb
                  Summary:
                  Who is responsible for keys if they break 3hrs into tenancy by bending (poor metal) and later proven the 2nd copy of key I had was stiff (and lock has a "knack" and a "fraction") and was later given agency copy of keys which were better than my "stiff keys".
                  16-01-2018, 17:05 PM
                • Reply to Take agent or inventory company to court?
                  Wannadonnadoodah
                  So with the 2 hour clean you'll be taking court action over a dirty side of a bed and a key? Last time I had a key cut it was less than a fiver and it sounds like a 3 minute cleaning job to do down the side of the bed. It really does feel like a massive over reaction. Taking this into consideration...
                  16-01-2018, 18:40 PM
                • Notice period when subletting
                  peacelily
                  A bit of background to explain the situation- I am currently subletting a room from a tenant of a flat who is renting from a landlord.

I have now given my notice to move out.

Our original agreement (only by email, nothing signed or in writing) stated that the tenant would...
                  16-01-2018, 18:10 PM
                • Reply to Take agent or inventory company to court?
                  Spencerjdb
                  I want to take court action if I have to pay for a cleaner, because those responsible for the property will not.
                  I want to take court action as the agency I'm sure will take it from my deposit if I do not pay for a 2nd key to be cut.

I'm not a slave, nor a cleaner, nor do I have any...
                  16-01-2018, 17:49 PM
                Working...
                X