Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 weeks to be informed of deductions

Hi,

I'm just after some advise re the deposit for my old rented house. I've had a read of quite a few other posts, but i think my issue is subtly different.

Basically we moved out of the house on 10th Feb 2010. A check-out inspection was performed by a third party the LL sub-contracted that to and we received the results of the inspection about 1 week later via post.

The inspection reported a few problems which the inspector felt were worse than fair wear and tear (a check-in inspection was also carried out) - greasy oven, broken toothbrush holder, broken toilet handle, broken fridge door and a chip in the kitchen work top.

We phoned the LL to query these as the inspector never mentioned anything during the inspection. Basically,

- the oven was in the same state as when we moved in (the check-in inspection also noted the oven was greasy)
    - broken toilet handle - it just needs re-gluing
    - broken fridge door - we reported this during the interim inspection. The inspector informed the agent that an "urgent" fix was required. Nothing was done
    - chip in the kitchen work top - only a few millimeters in size

I accept that we broke the tooth brush holder. The check-out report also notes some of the improvements we made to the house - cleaned the washing machine, replace broken bulbs, etc.

After querying these with the agents, they email us on 22nd February 2010 to say the LL, "may look to claim for the cup holder but would let us know after they visited the property at the weekend".

The LL didn't visit the property until 19-20th March and we were informed today (24th March) that they were proposing to deduct £200 for the above items.

Firstly, £200 seems an aweful lot for some fairly trivial items. Are we entitled to ask the LL for proof of the quotes for these costs?

Secondly, our contract states, "the LL or agent shall inform the tenant within 10 working days of the end of the tenany if they propose to make any deductions". Clearly, informing me today that they are proposing to make deductions (6 weeks after the end of the tenancy) is in breach of the contract - except possibly for the toothbrush holder which was mentioned in the email on the 22nd Feb. Do I have a leg to stand on with this arguement if we go through the TDS?

Thirdly, the LL has the house on the market. Would this have any bearing on them trying to claim our deposit?

Finally, the agent never provided us with proof that our deposit was protected. When I first asked for the tenant UID code last week they said the TDS would provide this if i made a dispute. On clairifying this with the TDS, I informed the agent that they were legally required to provide the information within 14 days of the start of the tenancy. Upon sending this email, I miraculously received the TDS certificate within 30 mins!

Best regards and thanks in advance (and sorry for the long post)

Raise a dispute with the TDS and let their arbitrator decide. The onus of proof will be on your LL and it sounds as though he will struggle to justify deductions on that scale.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

You don't say in your post that your deposit was indeed protected. If it was then, as suggested above insist on either arbitration by the deposit protection agency holding your deposit or let the landlord propose court action. Either way, I doubt he will have much of a chance. If you have not received documentary evidence that your deposit has been protected however, then I suggest you point out to your landlord that he is breaking the law and that unless he returns your deposit within 14 days in full, then you will be taking him to court to claim it and a fine of 3x the deposit as well! There is plenty written elsewhere on this board about this.

P.P.
      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
        pdmalik
        Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
        23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
      • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
        wfd_property
        So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
        24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
      • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
        Manchesterlandlord
        hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
        24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
      • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
        wfd_property
        Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
        24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
        KTC
        "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
        24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
      • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
        Jcg76
        I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
        Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
        24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
        nukecad
        At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
        And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
        24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
        jpkeates
        Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
        Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
        Give them the deposit back and you're done....
        24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
      • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        JP23
        Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
        23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
      • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        jpkeates
        Unless the OP comes back to confirm whether the charge was pre-agreed and now regretted or simply sprung on them, we're a bit stuck.
        24-07-2017, 19:48 PM
      Working...
      X