Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue landlord & illegal eviction

Hi all

I have a friend who is a student and is renting a shared house (HMO) with three fellow students. They have been in the house for three months now and so far the landlord has not given them any tenancy agreement to sign, but they have been paying their rent. The problem now is that one fo the students has accidently damaged a fitting in the kitchen, and because of this the landlord has told them they all have 2 weeks to get out of the property.

I have told my friend that the LL cannot just tell them to get out and that he needs a court order for an eviction, but as they do not have ANYTHING in writing with regards to this tenancy I was wondering what action they should take next. I perhaps thought the housing department at the local authority would be able to help with this illegal attempt at eviction - and perhaps also check if the LL has the correct HMO licence etc - as I doubt that he does if he doesn't even provide tenancy agreements.

Where to these tenants stand in law, and where should they turn for help? Thanks for your advice.

Kind regards

Kaya

I would guess there's an accomodation office/officer at the college/uni? Talk to them. If there isn't one, then your friends should ask for the Tenant Relations Officer at the Council. They should be able to provide some support and talk to the LL to work things out.

You are right, the LL cannot evict without getting a court order.

Whilst there might not be a written agreement, there is an oral one created, as LL has been collecting rent. Your friends should sit tight and not be intimidated. Unfortunately, some LLs give the rest of us a bad name...

The property does not need mandatory licensing as an HMO, unless its on 3 floors and there are 5 or more occupants. However, certain amenity, space and fire standards still apply and must be met. You could also call the Environmental Office at the council to confirm if they know its an HMO or not, and if it requires a licence or not.

Comment

Thanks for your advice HavensRus

Originally posted by havensRus View Post
      Unfortunately, some LLs give the rest of us a bad name...
      I know! I am a LL myself and was shocked when my friend told me of his treatment!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        JP23
        Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
        23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
      • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        Lvkn
        Hello
        i am a landlord and have insurance based deposit protection (I hold the deposit in segregated client account and register it with My Deposits) every time a new contract is drawn up we have to pay £48. If a tenancy is renewed, we pay £48. If someone moves out of one of our multiple tenant...
        23-07-2017, 20:27 PM
      • Excessive estate agent fees
        Cml241
        I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
        21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
      • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
        Wright76
        If you have no ongoing contract with the agent and it was "find" only, they have no right to force you into a new AST.

Depending on the terms of your contract there's nothing to prevent you, if your feeling confident, in renewing the contract yourself and taking over.
        23-07-2017, 19:11 PM
      • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        jjlandlord
        Fees for 'renewing' will not be in the tenancy agreement because they are not fees of the tenancy and are freely negiotiated.

The landlord should simply charge an admin fee to renew and set it to include all his costs...
        23-07-2017, 19:02 PM
      • Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
        pdmalik
        Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
        23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
      • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
        mariner
        Make the owner an offer to purchase.
        23-07-2017, 18:46 PM
        Wright76
        There is no charge and it doesn't need reprotecting if it's in a custodial scheme. If it's in an insurance based scheme then landlord is holding it and can be claiming interest on it, it's therefore very cheeky but not illegal to pass the cost onto you.

Ask him if he can use a custodial...
        23-07-2017, 18:45 PM
        KTC
        Yes, but if we're talking renewal, then it'll inevitably be in it.

Is it insured or custodial. Insured, meh. Custodial, wholly unreasonable....
        23-07-2017, 18:33 PM
      • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
        scooter08
        Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
        England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
        AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
        12/04/2015
        21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
      Working...
      X