Leak from flat above

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak from flat above

I own a ground floor flat which is rented out. The tenant has made me aware of a big damp patch in the middle of the bedroom ceiling. Apparently, there has been a leak from the washing machine in the flat above which is rented out. My ceiling will need painting and redecoration. I contacted the Managing Agents for the flat above who have told me that I should claim on my contents insurance. Is this true? Is there a way I can pursue this further to ensure that the landlord of the flat above pays for painting costs? My insurance does not cover for leaks from the flat above but even if they did, why should I push up my premiums for a problem arising from someone else's flat??

Wrong forum. Please repost on LONG LEASEHOLD.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by rjey View Post
      I own a ground floor flat which is rented out.I contacted the Managing Agents for the flat above who have told me that I should claim on my contents insurance. Is this true?
      As your flat is "let out" ,then here may be the right forum.

Any damage caused by a flat above you, it is their responsibility to rectify any damage done to adjoining flats.
      Let THEM claim on THEIR building insurance or contents insurance, in order to pay for the rectification of your ceiling.
      Put in a claim to the flat above for inspection of the ceiling ( it may have to be re plastered,) but the leak has to be investigated, and you need an assurance that the leak has been fixed.

NO. - - negligence, poor maintenance, the act of allowing water from an appliance owned by another damaging your property, is not yours to bear the cost.

You will have a fight on your hands, it seems, but it is not unknown for insurers to have ceiling inspected, remove a central light fitting, and use endiscope thing to inspect the top of the hidden ceiling, then to supply industrial low heat fans to dry out the ceiling.

Building insurance should cover you ( assuming the building has insurance ). if all else fails.

Comment

A sub-let flat is owned leasehold by L doing the subletting-out; so the legal position is whatever the long lease says it is. The sub-letting is irrelevant.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
          pdmalik
          Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
          23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
        • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
          wfd_property
          So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
          24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
        • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
          Manchesterlandlord
          hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
          24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
        • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
          wfd_property
          Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
          24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
          KTC
          "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
          24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
        • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          Jcg76
          I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
          Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
          24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
          nukecad
          At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
          And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
          24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
          jpkeates
          Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
          Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
          Give them the deposit back and you're done....
          24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
        • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
          JP23
          Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
          23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
        • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
          jpkeates
          Unless the OP comes back to confirm whether the charge was pre-agreed and now regretted or simply sprung on them, we're a bit stuck.
          24-07-2017, 19:48 PM
        Working...
        X