Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST - Serving notice on joint tenants

Hi,

I am just about to serve notice on my two joint tenants because I want to sell my flat. I am using the notice on this site and it says:

"Where there are joint tenants, each tenant should be served notice"

Does this mean that I have to fill in two separate notice forms, one for each of them, or does it just mean that I have to put both names on one form?

Many thanks,

Helen
    Last edited by Shirty Girl; 22-03-2010, 23:30 PM. Reason: got a word wrong - it's late!

Originally posted by Shirty Girl View Post
    Hi,

I am just about to serve notice on my two joint tenants because I want to sell my flat. I am using the notice on this site and it says:

"Where there are joint tenants, each tenant should be served notice"

Does this mean that I have to fill in two separate notice forms, one for each of them, or does it just mean that I have to put both names on one form?

Many thanks,

Helen
    My understanding is that with joint tenants it is not strictly necessary to serve notice on them both separately, but some LLs do this to avoid one tenant claiming they did not receive/see the notice. It's up to you.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I would put both names on the Notice, just as it is on the AST, and send one copy to each person separately. And get free proof of posting from PO.

Comment

Originally posted by havensRus View Post
        I would put both names on the Notice, just as it is on the AST, and send one copy to each person separately. And get free proof of posting from PO.
        Yes. However, as both T1 and T2 reside at the premises, L could serve one joint-names Notice on both of them there.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          Yes. However, as both T1 and T2 reside at the premises, L could serve one joint-names Notice on both of them there.
          I would get them to both sign additional letter attached to Section 21 confirming 'receipt and acceptance of Section 21 Notice'. LL keeps this signed dated letter....no arguments then about who served or when etc. Water tight.
          Provided you live near bye. If not maybe get a local agent to do similar.
          Chas

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Attending Court - Advice Please
            Muzza
            Hi there

I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
            12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
          • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
            theartfullodger
            Well done: Hope someone got LOTS of evidence (eg photos) of tenant's departure, all belongings gone. You had questionable legal right to change locks: Until bailiffs "execute" the possession order there is still a tenancy, it's still the tenant's home, the tenant's property. Hopefully enough...
            22-01-2018, 19:44 PM
          • Section 21 query
            manchester89
            Hi.

I was looking for some advice in regards to a Section 21 served.

A 6-month tenancy was originally granted in September 2015. Upon expiry a new 1-year fixed term tenancy was signed. Is this a new tenancy or a replacement?

In September the EPC and GSC was given...
            22-01-2018, 12:51 PM
          • Reply to Section 21 query
            manchester89
            I just wanted to make sure my landlord had done things right cause there are lots of things on the internet so its confusing but thank you i have as i don't want to be going through the eviction process with a small child id rather be out as soon as possible....
            22-01-2018, 19:36 PM
          • Invalid section 21 and limiting LL access
            poppyla
            Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you can help me with my issues with my LL. Apologies for the long post, but I’m going through a very stressful time.

My landlord tried to increase my rent “illegally” in Sept/Oct and wanted me to sign a backdated agreement and requested...
            22-01-2018, 15:27 PM
          • Reply to Invalid section 21 and limiting LL access
            theartfullodger
            All very well but realistically you can simply refuse access, change locks, say it's not convenient then. Yes they may have a contractual right but to enforce it they'd need a court order, which would take about as long as evicting you.

And which potential purchaser is going to await a...
            22-01-2018, 18:36 PM
          • Possession claim 'struck out' what can i do next
            lislog
            I filed a section 8 notice (correctly i believe) then a possession claim on line. The court hearing was 6th Dec - in stupidity or naivety having had no experience with the law before, i did not realise i had to attend the court hearing for a straightforward case of rental arrears (tenant owes £3000...
            10-01-2018, 09:22 AM
          • Reply to Possession claim 'struck out' what can i do next
            Muzza
            Id try and get it reinstated, if she didnt show the first time or make arrangments to pay its unlikely she will the second time, I recently had to fly back from the US to attend court on a section 8 and was in and out in 15 minutes - good luck to you.
            22-01-2018, 18:22 PM
          • Reply to Invalid section 21 and limiting LL access
            poppyla
            Yeah, i read all 33 pages of the thread... it is difficult though to understand exactly where i stand when it's so personal, rather than theoretical question!

They already pointed out which clauses say they can come in. There's one that says the landlord, his agent and any person authorised...
            22-01-2018, 18:09 PM
          • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
            Muzza
            UPDATE

Ok I flew home to attend court on 4th January, I was in and out in 15 minutes, possession was granted on rent arrears alone and anyone living in the house was given 14 days to leave, the tenant was also ordered to pay all arrears and court fee.

This meant they had to...
            22-01-2018, 18:05 PM
          Working...
          X