Post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Post

    Hi my previous tenants who vacated almost 3 months ago still have loads of mail coming to my flat - I think they are still using my address for correspondence. They keep emailing me to forward the mail to them but i am suspicious and have written return to sender on the envelopes because i dont know why they can't have their mail redirected to where they currently live. When i once visited the flat the girl did say that no one knew where she was moving to and wouldnt be able to trace her but i did not think anything of her comment. Is there anyway i can find out if my address has been blacklisted? Also how can i inform those writing to her that she has moved?

  • #2
    Why don't you give Royal Mail a call and ask if and how they can stop mail coming to your door? They also might know if you're blacklisted. The other option would be to write the former tenant an email, saying you will keep all mail in a box for her. She can pick it up until the end of X. If she does not come, you throw it away. She cannot aks you to redirect mail to her on your expense.

    Comment


    • #3
      To be honest I do not want to give her the mail because I am not sure if she if using my address as hers - I have a feeling she has debt and does not want to be traced.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well I would contact the Royal Mail and ask them if it's possible not to get her letters. Plus I would go to a Citizen Advice Bureau, and get some legal advice.

        The other thing I would do is: take all the letter for her, write in large letters: ADDRESS UNKNOWN on them and put them in the next post box. Do not pay P&P for them, of course.

        Comment


        • #5
          I am assuming that if i, return to sender, the post will stop.

          Comment


          • #6
            At risk of being shouted at by some people here, I would "accidentally" be opening some and seeing what she is up to. In error of course (forgot my glasses etc) Knowledge is power.
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sheri1000 View Post
              I am assuming that if i, return to sender, the post will stop.
              In the best of cases, it will.

              Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
              At risk of being shouted at by some people here, I would "accidentally" be opening some and seeing what she is up to. In error of course (forgot my glasses etc) Knowledge is power.
              I second that.

              Comment


              • #8
                Most likely the letters are from creditors - it's usually pretty obvious from the outside. If that's the case she (a) won't want them forwarding and (b) won't want the creditors to know her new address.

                Eitherway, there's no reason why she can't pay X to the Royal Mail to redirect her mail, and no reason why you should be inconvenienced by having to do it for her. Tell her to get organised pronto or you'll simply put it back in the post marked 'gone away - return to sender'. That will probably eventually stop the flow for all but creditor letters, who will not take that at face value for obvious reasons. See many previous threads for strategies on dealing with that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                  Most likely the letters are from creditors - it's usually pretty obvious from the outside. If that's the case she (a) won't want them forwarding and (b) won't want the creditors to know her new address.

                  Eitherway, there's no reason why she can't pay X to the Royal Mail to redirect her mail, and no reason why you should be inconvenienced by having to do it for her. Tell her to get organised pronto or you'll simply put it back in the post marked 'gone away - return to sender'. That will probably eventually stop the flow for all but creditor letters, who will not take that at face value for obvious reasons. See many previous threads for strategies on dealing with that.
                  I do have her relative's address who she claims to be living with. Her boyfriend claims to be living with his mother and gave me an address. I could inform her creditors of her new address. I was surprised when she said if i dont forward her letters to her she will take action against me. Not sure what action she is referring to.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Rest assured, she cannot take action against you. It is HER responsibility to redirect her mail after moving house. It's not your duty to do that. There are no grounds for actions against you.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hello,

                      I had a similiar problem when I first moved into the house I am currently living in. I wrote "Moved - return to sender" on all envelopes and put them back in the post. I would not bother doing anything for this woman, sheri, it is a waste of your time and you're not responsible for sorting her mail out.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Eilean View Post
                        I had a similiar problem when I first moved into the house I am currently living in. I wrote "Moved - return to sender" on all envelopes and put them back in the post. I would not bother doing anything for this woman, sheri, it is a waste of your time and you're not responsible for sorting her mail out.
                        I agree. I'd not open any of them but simply stick them back in the letter-box to return to sender. Keep out of the disputes!
                        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                          I agree. I'd not open any of them but simply stick them back in the letter-box to return to sender. Keep out of the disputes!
                          True. Hopefully her and her problems will go away soon.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by sheri1000 View Post
                            Is there anyway i can find out if my address has been blacklisted?
                            Credit ratings are attached to people, not to addresses. Your property will not be 'blacklisted'.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              p.s. if any of the mail is unsolicited junk mail, then register the ex-tenant's name with the Mail Preference Service.

                              http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X