LL does not keep his word

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LL does not keep his word

So here is the problem: I have rented this pretty worn-down house. It needed painting, redecorating and a good load of cleaning. The LL does not really care about the house much as he's only the legal guardian of the girl, who owns the house by heritage. Anyhow, the agreement was that I do all the repainting, cleaning, gardening, etc - the whole decorative stuff. I pay for it, I do it. His part of the agreement was to put new floors in, as the carpets are all worn down and downright manky. I am planning on moving house 2nd April - and the carpet fitter still has not received the money from the LL. I am running on a quite tight schedule, and I do not really know what to do. I call the estate agent on a daily basis and bother them, but all they can do is chase him down and ask for the money.

What am I supposed to do? I need advice!

Are you sure that the supposed L is legally competent to let? This sounds rather worrying; you need more information.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Well, as far as the letting agency is concerned he is. I have asked them before we rented the house, and they sais he is. He administrates the property until the girl is of legal age to do it herself.

Comment

Anyone with some advice please?

Comment

Originally posted by SMG1979 View Post
          His part of the agreement was to put new floors in, as the carpets are all worn down and downright manky. I am planning on moving house 2nd April - and the carpet fitter still has not received the money from the LL. I am running on a quite tight schedule, and I do not really know what to do. I call the estate agent on a daily basis and bother them, but all they can do is chase him down and ask for the money.

What am I supposed to do? I need advice!
          I don't understand the situation. Were carpets ordered by you, in your name, on the understanding that the LL would pay the bill? Or did LL order the carpets in his name - in which case why are you bothered whether he pays or not?

Was any of this agreement for you to pay £x and LL to pay £x in writing?

And why are you moving out after having spent loads of money doing up the property? Did you do it in lieu of paying a cash rent?

Comment

The story is: I am about to move IN the house i have done up over the past 3 weeks. The agreement with the LL was I do it up (painting, redecorating, gardening) and in return he orders new carpets, pays for them, and has a carpet fitter come to the property to put them in.
            I have fulfilled my part of the agreement. He has not. The carpet fitter will not do anyhting until the bill's paid. Understandable. So he is waiting for the payment. This payment has not been made. So until the LL has not paid, I will not get the carpets. It's as easy as that. So now I am sitting here and nothing happens. My move-in date is drawing closer, and I cannot move in without the carpets.

Comment

You haven't answered my question.
              Originally posted by westminster View Post

Was any of this agreement for you to pay £x and LL to pay £x in writing?

Comment

Sorry, for the confusion. I DO NOT pay anything. And yes, the agreement that he puts in new carpets is noted in the files.

Comment

Sorry, for the confusion. I DO NOT pay anything. And yes, the agreement that he puts in new carpets is noted in the files.
                  ...but not part of any contractual Agreement with you?
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Yes it is in the contract

Comment

Yes it is in the contract
                      You mean the tenancy contract, signed by the landlord?

What does it actually say - the exact words in the contract about the landlord installing/paying for carpets?

Comment

Yes, that one. I do not know what it says word by word. I do not have my copy of the agreement with me.

Comment

Well you need to get it and read it, because the answer to your question is in there!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                            BlueMystery
                            I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
                            26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
                          • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                            KTC
                            That ....
                            26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
                          • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                            Paul4321
                            Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
                            20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
                          • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                            KTC
                            A tenancy of more than 3 years to be executed as deed (Law of Property Act 1925).

A tenancy of less than 7 years - landlord's repairing obligations (Landlord and Tenant Act 1985).

A tenancy of more than 7 years - registration with the Land Registry.

If you're going...
                            26-07-2017, 21:39 PM
                          • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                            MrShed
                            I dont see a benefit in Section 8 in this circumstance as the grounds are discretionary not compulsory (is my reading of the situation anyway).

Its worth issuing it anyway but then proceed down S21 when it expires?
                            26-07-2017, 21:14 PM
                          • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                            IoIo
                            Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
                            26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
                          • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                            MrShed
                            Yes I cant agree with JK on this one, although I agree its an elegant solution in theory. A few issues with it though:
                            - Subletting
                            - The previous tenant in effect remains a tenant (in the eyes of the law)
                            - Any damage that has been caused up to now should in fact be deducted three...
                            26-07-2017, 21:08 PM
                          • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                            Logical.Lean
                            I would make a list of the improvements / repairs which are required and get some ball park quotes for the work from trades(wo)men in the area.
                            Then I would offer a 6 month rolling tenancy, at a fair rent. I would ask the tenant to quote for a few of the simple jobs, and pay him once completed....
                            26-07-2017, 21:06 PM
                          • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                            Wright76
                            I can't see the departing tenant agreeing to withdraw their notice and nor should they simply to get their deposit back.

They are ALL responsible. The tenancy Is ending for all of them and they are jointly responsible for any damage.

I'm amused by your insistence for a professional...
                            26-07-2017, 20:43 PM
                          • Ending tenancy early / returning advance rent
                            purpleangel
                            Landlord has served me with S21 to leave property by 10 September. 12 month AST in England. Tenancy has been difficult last few months, major delays in repairs and I am still waiting to be refunded for a locksmith call out a month ago. I paid 12 months rent in advance due to having CCJs.

25-07-2017, 21:35 PM
                          Working...
                          X