X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract break question

Hello
    My situation is as follow:
    i have a 1 year contract with a landlord with break clause agreement from month 6. I'm in the second month but want to break it right now. I paid 1 month deposit.

I understood, when i signed the contract, that only my deposit was engaged if i didn't respect the clauses. Now the landlord tells me that i have to pay the whole 6 months, i can't withdraw, which is something i was not aware.

Is it really something legal? i come from france where a such contract couldn't be possible (i mean, if a tenant want to leave without respecting the notice period, the renter keep the deposit and that's all).

What happens if i give back the keys now, can they sue me?
    Have you got any advice?
    Thanks a lot for your help

You signed for twelve months. You knew that the only break-right was at six months. Why should you not be compelled to do what you agreed to do?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

La reponse (ci-dessus) est bonne. Tu la comprends? Sinon, message-moi et j'essayerai de te l'expliquer !
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        La reponse (ci-dessus) est bonne. Tu la comprends? Sinon, message-moi et j'essayerai de te l'expliquer !
        Oo La La! - Thats the limit of my French, and I suspect that is spelled incorrectly (like much of my English)

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
          Oo La La! - Thats the limit of my French, and I suspect that is spelled incorrectly (like much of my English)
          I hate to rain on your parade, as they say, but I can honestly say I have never once heard a French person say 'Ooh, la la'! They may do, I suppose. I think it may be akin to the way some French people think all English men walk around in bowler hats. And that is nothing compared to some of the bizarre and unhelpful stereotypes my pupils cherish of the French...
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

His version omitted the h. That explains why you've never heard the 'ooh', only the 'oo'.
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              His version omitted the h. That explains why you've never heard the 'ooh', only the 'oo'.
              That explains everything.

That's where the h went from 'eighths' in the other thread. Transmigration of aspirants! The guv'mint should do sumfin.

Comment

because of unexpected facts of course (i had 1 day only to find accomodation and i'm finaly too far from my new job). I thought i would stay but I would never have signed if i had understood that whatever happens i would have to pay the 6 months.

Comment

I understand; but the landlord cannot be compelled to take account of your personal circumstances.

Comment

That explains everything.

That's where the h went from 'eighths' in the other thread. Transmigration of aspirants! The guv'mint should do sumfin.
                    Free french lesson for any useful answer !

Comment

Originally posted by breivilo View Post
                      because of unexpected facts of course (i had 1 day only to find accomodation and i'm finaly too far from my new job). I thought i would stay but I would never have signed if i had understood that whatever happens i would have to pay the 6 months.
                      I understand, but I'm sorry, a contract is legally binding. Your landlord must let you have the accommodation for the entire six months and you must pay the rent for the entire 6 months.

You could ask him to let you go earlier if you find a replacement tenant (try accommodationforstudents - lots of students and young profesisonal workers look on it to find a room/flat).

Good luck.

Comment

I understand, but I'm sorry, a contract is legally binding. Your landlord must let you have the accommodation for the entire six months and you must pay the rent for the entire 6 months.

You could ask him to let you go earlier if you find a replacement tenant (try accommodationforstudents - lots of students and young profesisonal workers look on it to find a room/flat).

Good luck.
                        I will try this - Thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X