Gas check not done ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas check not done ??

The annual gas check was allegedly carried out with the LL and his gas man when i was in hospital. The certificate left states my neighbours address and not mine. Am I within my rights to demand that another one is carried out instead of them just issuing a new certificate?
    Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

What's the issue here - do you seriously believe that the gas check was carried out on next door's property by mistake? There's no way a CORGI inspector is going to issue a certificate for a property he hasn't inspected, so you can safely assume that if he provides a new (correct) certficate, he will have inspected your property.

Presumably it's just a clerical error on behalf of the CORGI who filled in the form? Providing you are now issued with a correct certificate, I think you'll get right up your landlord's nose for no good reason if you expect him to organise and pay for a new inspection.
    Last edited by Ericthelobster; 07-06-2006, 11:59 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Perhaps my original query was misworded ... As a reasonable tenant, I have naturally already brought this to the Agent and Corgi inspectors attention separately and requested a correct certificate already and not recieved one so how can I be certain that the nspection has been carried out?

Originally posted by Ericthelobster
      What's the issue here - do you seriously believe that the gas check was carried out on next door's property by mistake? All 4 properties were supposed to have been checked at the same time. There's no way a CORGI inspector is going to issue a certificate for a property he hasn't inspected, so you can safely assume that if he provides a new (correct) certficate, he will have inspected your property. I have already asked for and NOT recieved a replacement after having spoken to both the Agent AND the Corgi inspector

Presumably it's just a clerical error on behalf of the CORGI who filled in the form? If this is the case, I have to ask myself why the reluctance to issue a correct certificate hence leading me to raise this query!!! Providing you are now issued with a correct certificate, I think you'll get right up your landlord's nose for no good reason if you expect him to organise and pay for a new inspection. Surely, if they don't issue a new(correct) certificate, I have every legal right to ask this if only to prompt them into SOME action. Whether it gets up his nose or not is surely irrelevant if I am missing something that he is legally obliged to produce?
      Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Originally posted by pippay
        Perhaps my original query was misworded
        Well it does certainly seem a rather different scenario, given the extra information! Especially as since the neighbouring property in question was inspected at the same time, there is a genuine possibility yours could have been overlooked? I should point out to the agent that you should receive a correct gas certificate and if that he doesn't organise one in a timely fashion you'll go and speak to the Environmental Health Officer (and do so if none is forthcoming).

I suppose how bolshy you want to be about it depends on whether you genuinely feel that no inspection was carried out (do you actually know?) or whether it was just a clerical error!

Comment

I've genuinely got no idea whether one was carried out or not as I was in hospital at the time. I'd like to think it was a clerical error but who knows !!

I dread to think that the inspection was overlooked and something went horribly wrong !! I can hardly sue him from heaven, can I? Although I suppose I coud haunt him ....

I don't want to get bolshy but "assertive" may be called for !! Would you say 14 days is a "reasonable" time to allow?

Originally posted by Ericthelobster
          Well it does certainly seem a rather different scenario, given the extra information! Especially as since the neighbouring property in question was inspected at the same time, there is a genuine possibility yours could have been overlooked? I should point out to the agent that you should receive a correct gas certificate and if that he doesn't organise one in a timely fashion you'll go and speak to the Environmental Health Officer (and do so if none is forthcoming).

I suppose how bolshy you want to be about it depends on whether you genuinely feel that no inspection was carried out (do you actually know?) or whether it was just a clerical error!

Comment

It has the Type, make and model but no serial no of the appliance - only a serial no (preprinted) which I assume to be the Certificate no ..-- nor is there anywhere on the form for an appliance serial number!

So unfortunately no help to me cos I know for a fact that the neighbour (whose address is on the certificate) had exactly the same boiler. He's now moved and the property is empty so I have absolutely no way of checking to see if he has my certificate.

Back to square one - good job I don't work - I've got a virtual career in letter writing

But many thanks to all for their input !

Originally posted by Wickerman
            The gas check should have make and model numbers of appliances - do these match the items in the house?

Contrary to previous posts gas checks can be done at the wrong address (I have heard of a council corgi person visiting a private house by mistake -the private owner got a free gas fire and back boiler service!!!) but in all honesty it is a bit unlikely, however I would still check the basics as above.

Comment

Originally posted by pippay
              It has the Type, make and model but no serial no of the appliance - only a serial no (preprinted) which I assume to be the Certificate no ..-- nor is there anywhere on the form for an appliance serial number!

So unfortunately no help to me cos I know for a fact that the neighbour (whose address is on the certificate) had exactly the same boiler. He's now moved and the property is empty so I have absolutely no way of checking to see if he has my certificate.

Back to square one - good job I don't work - I've got a virtual career in letter writing

But many thanks to all for their input !
              Unless the form is a CP12 it isn't valid
              Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Originally posted by pms
                Unless the form is a CP12 it isn't valid
                A CP12 is only the product code from CORGI-Direct, as long as its a Landlords Gas Safety Record it is valid. There are other organisations such as Gasafe UK who do safety record pads which are valid.

Its quite simple pippay, write (again) to the agent and inform them that under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, section 36(5) which places a duty on the landlord/agent to make a copy of the LGSR be made available for inspection upon reasonable notice by the person in lawful occupation of the premises.

You also consider that since the landlords gas safety record hasn't been completed correctly, i.e, it has the wrong address on it, it maybe viewed as having an inherent defect on it. As this is the case it has to be assumed that the appliance/s haven't been safety check as required by the Gas Safety Regulations and as such you would like them to come and carry out their legal obligations placed on them.

Although I suspect that the CORGI installer has just placed the wrong address on it, there is now no documentation to say the appliance/s in your flat have been checked which is unacceptable.

Comment

Thanks Red40 - very informative indeed .. I'll be able to use your post virtually word for word - saves me thinking

Originally posted by red40
                  A CP12 is only the product code from CORGI-Direct, as long as its a Landlords Gas Safety Record it is valid. There are other organisations such as Gasafe UK who do safety record pads which are valid.

Its quite simple pippay, write (again) to the agent and inform them that under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, section 36(5) which places a duty on the landlord/agent to make a copy of the LGSR be made available for inspection upon reasonable notice by the person in lawful occupation of the premises.

You also consider that since the landlords gas safety record hasn't been completed correctly, i.e, it has the wrong address on it, it maybe viewed as having an inherent defect on it. As this is the case it has to be assumed that the appliance/s haven't been safety check as required by the Gas Safety Regulations and as such you would like them to come and carry out their legal obligations placed on them.

Although I suspect that the CORGI installer has just placed the wrong address on it, there is now no documentation to say the appliance/s in your flat have been checked which is unacceptable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X