Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent Increases

Hi

I have (had) a shorthold tenancy agreement with my landlord for six months which ran out on the 22/7/05. (started 22/01/05)

We saw no reason really to sign a new one as there had been no problems between us.

Having been in the property for over a year - my landlord began saying that she was going to increase the rent. She first discussed this with me on the 2nd of feb.

She then sent me written notice of the rent increase on the 20th of April, and being a good tenant, despite her not completing repairs to which had been agreed, I decided to pay her the increased rent from 20th May.

My Landlord has sent me a letter saying I owe £300 in rent arrears. Because she wrote in her letter that the rent went up from 1st of Feb!

Obviously this is wrong - but I now would like to know exactly where we stand.

Many thanks in advance for any replys.

J

Originally posted by inogen
    I have (had) a shorthold tenancy agreement with my landlord for six months which ran out on the 22/7/05. (started 22/01/05). We saw no reason really to sign a new one as there had been no problems between us.
    Doesn't actually make any difference in that the terms of your original agreement are still in force - you are now on a 'periodic tenancy'.

Originally posted by inogen
    Having been in the property for over a year - my landlord began saying that she was going to increase the rent. She first discussed this with me on the 2nd of feb.

She then sent me written notice of the rent increase on the 20th of April, and being a good tenant, despite her not completing repairs to which had been agreed, I decided to pay her the increased rent from 20th May.

My Landlord has sent me a letter saying I owe £300 in rent arrears. Because she wrote in her letter that the rent went up from 1st of Feb!
    Well, she has to notify you of the increase in writing, and in fact she is supposed to do so using a special form (no doubt she hasn't), and which has various stipulations about what's permitted etc, and your rights (eg consulting a rent tribunal). So in theory you could I suppose decline to pay the increase until she provides you with the correct documentation. She's certainly out of order asking for a backdated rent increase.

Bear in mind of course that however you choose to play this, she can issue you with 2 months' notice to quit without giving a reason, so if you are going to get up her nose, consider how badly you want to remain in the property!

Comment

Hi Eric - thanks for advice.

We're actually thinking about moving anyway. Nothing ever gets fixed. When I told her the TV aerial was broken she told me to fix it myself or get sky! Apparently she doesn't need a tv aerial on a house in which she doesn't live...

She did not provide the correct documents.

Does anyone know exactly how much notice must be served on a rent increase on a periodic tenancy borne from a 6 month shorthold?

Also - if she needs to give 2 months notice of termination - how long do we have to give?

I'm also concerned that if we give notice - she may keep this £300 out of our deposit.

Cheers

J
      Last edited by inogen; 07-06-2006, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Landlord must give 2 months, tenant one, both to end on the last day of a rent period. If she tries to keep any or all of the deposit, she needs a reason, was there an inventory, if not, she can't keep anything for repairs, are there any rent arrears and if so, is it in the tenancy agreement that she can deduct these from the deposit? Again, if not, she can't. If she tries, tell her you will take her to court, if she ignores that, do it, it is very easy online.

Comment

Thanks MrWolf

There's no inventory (of which I know) and nothing in our contract about rent arrears.

Is there any other reason they could withhold our deposit?

If they were to withhold this £300 pounds, and we took them to court, would they bear the total cost?

Many thanks

J

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X