• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice period for Common Law tenancy

Hi Guys

I wonder if i can pick your brains on this forum

My wife and i have a contractual lease which is now periodic

The original tenancy was fixed for one year and we have since carried over into a peridoic state for the past 3 years.

Our landlord has decided he now wishes to sell and so has served us a 'notice to quit' under the protection from eviction act 1977 giving us 4 weeks to vacate

My query is that we pay the rent quarterly in advance and as such under common law is the landlord not required to give us 3 months notice?

I queried this with the landlord, but he replied that under statute he was only obligated to serve 4 weeks notice. I spoke with the letting agent and they are not sure and have told me to seek advice

I would be grateful for any positive replies please

Many thanks

Originally posted by Jayfer View Post

The original tenancy was fixed for one year and we have since carried over into a periodic state for the past 3 years.
    What do you mean by a contractual lease? When it was it granted, was it an AST/SAT? If it was outside the Housing Act 1988, the original term cannot have continued- there would be no statutory continuation rights.

Our landlord has decided he now wishes to sell and so has served us a 'notice to quit' under the protection from eviction act 1977 giving us 4 weeks to vacate...Is the landlord not required to give us 3 months notice?

I queried this with the landlord, but he replied that under statute he was only obligated to serve 4 weeks notice.
    That would be valid only if:
    a. the letting is a common-law contractual tenancy; and
    b. rent is payable every four weeks- which it's not, as:

we pay the rent quarterly in advance
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

More: the periodic letting is new, and it is wholly dissociated from the fixed term that expired.

So nothing in the fixed-term Letting Agreement now applies. If T pays rent quarterly in advance and L accepts that, it's a quarterly periodic tenancy. Any NTQ served by L must therefore run for at least a quarter and then up to & inc. a periodic tenancy quarter's end.
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Many thanks for prompt reply

The rent is over 25k per annum so the lease we originally signed was for a common law tenancy - my apologies

The rent is paid quarterly in advance.......

Many thanks

Comment

Perfect, that answers my question entirely

Many thanks for your speedy advice, it is greatly appreciated

Rgds

Comment

OK- so, as I expected, L is wrong. The confusion stems from the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 (which does apply even to a common-law contractual tenancy). In that Act, s.5(1)(b) mentions 'four weeks'- see below- but says 'not less than...' which means that it can be longer if the periodicity is longer.

5. Validity of notices to quit.
            (1) Subject to subsection (1B) below no notice by a landlord or a tenant to quit any premises let (whether before or after the commencement of this Act) as a dwelling shall be valid unless:
            (a) it is in writing and contains such information as may be prescribed, and
            (b) it is given not less than 4 weeks before the date on which it is to take effect.

(1A) Subject to subsection (1B) below, no notice by a licensor or a licensee to determine a periodic licence to occupy premises as a dwelling (whether the licence was granted before or after the passing of this Act) shall be valid unless:
            (a) it is in writing and contains such information as may be prescribed, and
            (b) it is given not less than 4 weeks before the date on which it is to take effect.

(1B) Nothing in subsection (1) or subsection (1A) above applies to:
            (a) premises let on an excluded tenancy which is entered into on or after the date on which the Housing Act 1988 came into force unless it is entered into pursuant to a contract made before that date; or
            (b) premises occupied under an excluded licence.

(2) In this section “prescribed” means prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State by statutory instrument, and a statutory instrument containing any such regulations shall be subject to annulment in pursuance of a resolution of either House of Parliament.

(3) Regulations under this section may make different provision in relation to different descriptions of lettings and different circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              More: the periodic letting is new, and it is wholly dissociated from the fixed term that expired.
              It will be a new tenancy unless there was a provision in the original agreement to the effect that the letting would continue as a periodic tenancy once the initial fixed term had expired.

Does your agreement say anthing on this issue?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                JP23
                Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
              • Claiming for protected deposit
                mandm
                This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                I served the...
                21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                mariner
                Not protecting deposit correctly can deprive T of access to DPS & ADR.
                Providing T with DPS Cert. only is not LL providing full PI
                Many LLs cannot even serve a valid s21!

By all means let Ts police the scheme but limit their return to return of full deposit with 1-3x Penalty...
                23-07-2017, 03:16 AM
              • Referencing question
                kangoo1
                A couple wants to rent from me, she is on maternity leave and will not be returning to her previous employment, he is permanently employed and moving due to a job transfer. I have referenced him for the full rent and his guarantor has been successfully referenced.
                I am going to prepare the ast...
                22-07-2017, 17:19 PM
              • Reply to Referencing question
                mariner
                Ref both for the full rent. Is the G a house/property owner?
                23-07-2017, 02:38 AM
              • Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
                aciduzzo
                Tenants are moving out today and i am doing the final inspection later; however, last time i was at the flat i noticed the bathroom was in a poor state.

What is the general opinion on black mould that has formed inside bathroom silicone? Is it considered wear and tear? Also, the seal...
                03-07-2017, 08:07 AM
              • Reply to Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
                mystic08
                You might like to gift your new tenants some Kilrock mould cleaner which is magic in a bottle! Cheapest in the Pound shop or The Range but supermarkets sell it too. Works brilliantly on algae too. Garden pots, patios, headstones etc.
                22-07-2017, 20:52 PM
              • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                MrShed
                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                jjlandlord
                That's the exemption that allows sending data outside of the EEA, which is the issue discussed.

No, because of that very exemption....
                22-07-2017, 19:19 PM
              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                JK0
                I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to get into one of JPK's interminable arguments.
                22-07-2017, 16:28 PM
              Working...
              X