Court Possesion Order Granted - 14 days!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Court Possesion Order Granted - 14 days!

Hi, my landlord has now been granted possession of our rented house within 14 days and need some advice again please!

Due to pretty crap financial circumstances, we had to go to the council for help when the LL served a section 21 (served as he wishes to sell not because of arrears), they advised us not to move and wait until the LL applies for possession to the court. They did this last month and it was originally 'struck out' as they did not word the section 21 correctly.

Now I have just received a letter saying that ruling has been overturned and possession has been granted within 14 days (even though I defended it as we have extenuating circs and this was granted 8 days ago as well). Have gone straight back to council and have now been told to ignore the court order and wait until the LL has instructed bailiffs!! FFS this is getting quite stressful. Anyone know how long it takes to arrange for bailiffs to evict and also will they turn up announced ? Should I inform our letting agent that we have advised to stay put again so they don't turn up at the door on the 14th day telling us to get out?

Have been informed by our local advice centre that we will obviously be responsible for all the costs incurred by the LL so will be landed with a massive bill as well. We have not made ourselves intentionally homeless but can't afford to rent anywhere else due to deposit etc, and agency fees (husband does work btw). Any advice on how to deal with the council's lack of help??

Standard response from the council for you to wait until baliffs arrive. It is there way of ensuring they only help those in desparate need and hope people will sort themselves out before that time.

You are in a no win situation, either you wait until the baliffs arrive and then be liable for all the landlords costs, or you sort yourselves out a private rental. Does your council offer a bond scheme for those without deposits?

Comment

Originally posted by andies View Post
      .......... but can't afford to rent anywhere else due to deposit etc, and agency fees (husband does work btw). Any advice on how to deal with the council's lack of help??
      But, if you have looked after your present property carefully you should get your deposit back in full shortly after leaving. A short term bank overdraft would enable you to pay a deposit on another rental property. Also, you don't necessarily need to use agents when renting a property. Dealing directly with the LL will reduce your costs considerably.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Money Claim Telephone Hearing
        by rapid111111
        Checked on the PCOL and it looks like the defendants are being responsive and sending in statements. So I guess they'll be attending the hearing. If that's the case, is it possible to ask the courts for an address from the defendants?
        17-10-2021, 09:07 AM
      • Money Claim Telephone Hearing
        by rapid111111
        S21 was issued, tenants left, has 9 months rent arrears amounting to over 10k+. The hearing review (which I wasn't called for or required to attend) progressed onto a money claim telephone hearing which is coming up as there was no longer a need for a possession claim. So I guess that means everything...
        12-10-2021, 09:55 AM
      • Reply to Unauthorized door replacement
        by landlord-man
        Only one question for you.

When the tenant is locked in the bathroom due to a broken catch on the door in your property, how does the tenant phone you or the agent to ask if they can replace the front door not yet damaged?

We all know 999 or 101 but the LAs 24/7 helpline number?...
        17-10-2021, 09:05 AM
      • Unauthorized door replacement
        by bms9nmh
        Hello,
        I heard through the agency that manages my property that the tenant had become locked in the bathroom at around 05:30 in the morning and called the fire service, who proceeded to knock down the front door to the flat, and let him out of the bathroom. The tenant did not call the agencies...
        16-10-2021, 19:19 PM
        by bms9nmh
        I'm not sure, but I guess I should request the fire service report if such a thing exists....
        17-10-2021, 09:02 AM
        by Section20z
        Would the fire brigade really break a door down on the strength of a phone call with no imminent danger to life ? Surely such a policy would be open to abuse from malicious ex-wifes or tenants.
        Wouldn't they just say "ring your landlord"?
        17-10-2021, 08:56 AM
        by jpkeates
        The phone is simple, people carry them everywhere all the time.
        And, in an emergency, it would be handy.

I'm not sure how a door lock can "come off", but I'd probably decline to pay for the door that wasn't fitted as it should have been.
        I can understand why the tenant...
        17-10-2021, 08:51 AM
      • Reply to Curtain Rails
        by jpkeates
        I'd suggest to the agent that you'll pay someone to do the work (someone like hilariy's blinds so the landlord can have a guarantee) and deduct the cost from the rent.
        The landlord can't simply decide not to do something they've agreed to do, and the agent should be telling them that, particularly...
        17-10-2021, 08:44 AM
      • Curtain Rails
        by Myb91
        Hi All,

Hope your all well!

I have recently started to rent a place, before moving in/signing of papers the Estate Agent showed it to us virtually (2nd September) because it was not ready yet for potential tenants to view (the Building was not complete), We instantly liked...
        17-10-2021, 02:01 AM
        by bms9nmh
        Apparently the lock on the inside came off in his hand. I have no idea why he would have the phone with him in the bathroom at this hour. It's very strange....
        17-10-2021, 08:44 AM
      Working...
      X