Nightmare Tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightmare Tenant

Hello. Any advice gratefully received. Briefly i have a tenant who has been in propertyfor 5 years. 14 months ago he lost his job and rent payments became sporadic. I met with him on 4 occassions and he promised to try to make good arrears - each time the meeting and agreed action confirmed by me in recorded letter. It never happened.
    He is now 4 1/2 month behind with rent. Over last two weeks he has been seen gradually moving belongings out. Today I visited development to see a friend and saw he was moving large items out. I approached him and asked if he was moving out. No he said but his wife is!
    I asked what he was going to do but he was unsure. He then accussed me of harrassment and racism. He is african. At no time was I ever racist- I've been too understanding if anything.
    He is on "held over" tenancy from a six month assured shorthold. Any ideas most welcome.

Originally posted by StRicardo View Post
    Hello. Any advice gratefully received. Briefly i have a tenant who has been in propertyfor 5 years. 14 months ago he lost his job and rent payments became sporadic. I met with him on 4 occassions and he promised to try to make good arrears - each time the meeting and agreed action confirmed by me in recorded letter. It never happened.
    He is now 4 1/2 month behind with rent. Over last two weeks he has been seen gradually moving belongings out. Today I visited development to see a friend and saw he was moving large items out. I approached him and asked if he was moving out. No he said but his wife is!
    I asked what he was going to do but he was unsure. He then accussed me of harrassment and racism. He is african. At no time was I ever racist- I've been too understanding if anything.
    He is on "held over" tenancy from a six month assured shorthold. Any ideas most welcome.
    Are he and his wife both named on the tenancy agreement, or just him?

What exactly do you want ideas about - how to repossess your property, or how to get the money he owes you, or both?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

His name only on tenancy. I thing getting any money is out of the question given value of previous promises. A swift repossession is my objective.

Comment

His name only on tenancy. I thing getting any money is out of the question given value of previous promises. A swift repossession is my objective.
        I am assuming this is an AST in England or Wales.

In that case, serve a section 8, grounds 8, 10 and 11 notice and seek a court order for possession if he fails to pay up or move out by the expiry of the notice. You can download one from the Agreements section of this site.

This site might also be useful:http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-fac...-8-notice.html

If there is a tenancy deposit, is it protected, by the way?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Yes it is an AST in England. There is a deposit - approx 30% of outstanding rent. Thanks for your help. When I do follow the suggested route - tomorrow - any idea how long it will take for him to leave?

Comment

Yes it is an AST in England. There is a deposit - approx 30% of outstanding rent. Thanks for your help. When I do follow the suggested route - tomorrow - any idea how long it will take for him to leave?
            Yes, serve it tomorrow - it gives him 14 days. If he doesn't leave after the 14 days, apply for a court order. That will take a few weeks. If he still doesn't move out you have to instruct bailiffs - another couple of weeks.

I have personally never had to evict anyone so I am not very familiar with the exact time scale. I understand that to some extent it depends on how busy/efficient your local courts are. I'm sure others will post more help on this in the morning.

Be aware that if he does bring the rent owing down to less than two months' worth by the time of the court hearing, you will not be granted a possession order mandatorily - it would be discretionary.

Comment

Many thanks. I will study the paperwork over the cornflakes tomorrow and prepare documents accordingly. As a complete amateur this is a very challenging experience. What I have learnt is to do it "by the book" and not to be taken in again.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                If there is a tenancy deposit, is it protected, by the way?
                It may not need to be. Is the current letting one that began pre- 6 April 2007?
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Letting began in 2005. It is not "protected".

Comment

Letting began in 2005. It is not "protected".
                    Right; so the same Letting Agreement is still running. On expiry of its original six-month fixed term, T acquired and still holds a Statutory Periodic Tenancy. Deposit protection is inapplicable to a pre-6 April 2007 AST. As a result, you (L) can use s.21 without having the need to protect the deposit. Serve T under s.21(4)(a) as well as under s.8.
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

The tenant signed 6 month AST in 2005. I never got another signed as was told that after six months tenancy was "held over". I understood this to mean 2 months notice on both sides. I'll do s full read through at breakfast. Thanks for help.

Comment

No. It's:
                        a. one month's Notice To Quit, if served by T; or
                        b. two months' s.21(4)(a) Notice Seeking Possession, if served by you (L).
                        In each case, the Notice period must run-on to expire when an SPT month expires (i.e. not part-way through a tenancy month).

Comment

That's clearer. As a secondary question I suspect my tenant hasn't been paying his council tax/utility bills. Am I liable in anyway and if so is there anything I can do about this?

Comment

That's clearer. As a secondary question I suspect my tenant hasn't been paying his council tax/utility bills. Am I liable in anyway and if so is there anything I can do about this?
                            As long as the T's name is on the bills then no, you cannot be held liable for them. You may like to give the T's forwarding address to the council/utility companies, however.

Comment

If there's anyway I can get a forwarding address I'll be delighted to circulate it to all interested parties.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for Non protected deposit
                                charliesugar
                                This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
                                She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
                                27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
                              • Reply to Claiming for Non protected deposit
                                mariner
                                [QUOTE=charliesugar;n998575]To DIY she would need to pay a £305 court fee up front ( or I would have to lend it to her!) then there is the hassle of a court date etc NWNF at least gives her the support of someone who knows what they are doing[QUOTE]

Really?

AFAIK
                                win...
                                21-07-2017, 01:01 AM
                              • Help. Scam/ fraud letting
                                Hayleydenice93
                                Hiya

i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
                                20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
                              • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
                                mariner
                                So who owns the Freehold?
                                IMO there cannot be a freehold TENANCY.
                                21-07-2017, 00:24 AM
                              • Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
                                Jenny7
                                Hi, hope you can offer some insight, we are looking to move rental property due to new job starting in September in a new location.
                                So thankfully we've a window to shop around to find a new place.
                                We've found one suitable spot but we're still looking around, the new place has asked for credit...
                                17-07-2017, 12:10 PM
                              • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
                                MrShed
                                Couldn't agree more. How shortsighted. Unless they assume a tenant would leave with no notice and no forwarding address...
                                20-07-2017, 22:47 PM
                              • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
                                KTC
                                Going back to the OP.

This makes zero sense. Why would the LA/LL want a notice to quit from a tenant who they don't otherwise have a problem with. The longer until the tenant provide the notice, the longer the tenant is liable for rent. The notice period given now say, or given a month...
                                20-07-2017, 22:46 PM
                              • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                MrShed
                                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                MrShed
                                I'm not sure that calling someone's career driven information "nonsense" could be classed as anything other than an insult....
                                20-07-2017, 22:41 PM
                              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                JK0
                                Not intended to be an insult. Just sad that some are so frightened of TPTB....
                                20-07-2017, 22:39 PM
                              Working...
                              X