Joint tenancy agreement

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Joint tenancy agreement

    Hi there,

    I came across this website while doing a search on google. I know this is for landlords but thought I'd post this question because you may be able to help.

    Basically, myself and four others are going back home for easter holiday (we live in a student house) but as the house we live in is currently for sale, the letting agency is wanting to have the property viewed whilst we are away, which means handing our keys over and giving them access to our rooms. This wouldn't be a problem if they would, in the past, lock our bedroom doors on their way out and just generally act a in a professional manner, but they haven't.

    What I want to know is where we stand? We don't want to give them our keys and just want them to start the viewings when we come back (after approx 4 weeks). Can we actually turn around and say "no"? We're worried that they may go behind our backs and ask the landlord for keys whilst we are away.

    You may refuse access, however, a better approach would be to come to a compromise, e.g. to allow access when you are present for viewings.

    Read this thread for a legal perspective: A landlord's right of access
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .


      Is there any sort of legal document that can back that assertion up?


        No. It's simply a consequence of:
        a. the Tenancy Agreement (probably containing an inbuilt consent clause);
        b. T's revocation of consent;
        c. L's obligation to give T 'quiet enjoyment' during the tenancy; and
        d. the law on harassment.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


        Latest Activity


        • tenancy agreement and co-owner
          If only one co-owner one can sign the tenancy agreement does this mean that this implies that the other agree to it. And what happens if only one co-owner signs a tenancy agreement and the other does not agree does it make the tenancy agreement invalid and what happens to the tenants who has already...
          21-10-2018, 09:43 AM
        • Reply to tenancy agreement and co-owner
          The landlord of a lease is whoever is named as the landlord on the tenancy agreement if there is one, if there isn't it depends on to whom rent is paid. The landlord doesn't have to own the property they are letting, so who owns the property doesn't affect who is the landlord.

          If one co-owner...
          21-10-2018, 10:23 AM
        • Tenant's boyfriend
          So, for the last year and a half we've had a young woman as a model tenant. She's improved the house no end and keeps it immaculate and only rarely raises very minimal and perfectly acceptable maintenance requests. Very pleasant lady all round.

          The other day, our agent told us that she'd...
          29-09-2018, 08:08 AM
        • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
          If he's not causing a problem, then as the man said;...
          21-10-2018, 09:37 AM
        • Files over 6 Years Old...
          I've been doing a tidy up of my old files.
          I have invoice folders for my estate agency from 2010/2011/2012.
          Should i be disposing of everything older than 6 years?
          Should i keep soft copies?
          Regarding ASTs and rent statements, should i be getting rid of everything over 6 years,...
          21-10-2018, 06:21 AM
        • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
          Keep everything IIWY.

          HMRC can go back as long as they like if they suspect criminality. How will you prove you aren't a criminal if you don't have the papers?
          21-10-2018, 09:36 AM
        • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
          Don't think you "have to give permission".

          Consider tenant who doesn't pay rent one month. You don't have to give permission for this (or not..), they remain liable to eviction under s8g10. Or one who fails to pay rent 3 months in a row then starts again, but still 3 months...
          21-10-2018, 09:31 AM
        • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
          In reality, I can't see a s8 notice on that basis alone resulting in repossession, on the basis that a) it's disproportionate to be made homeless for a breach of that nature and b) that courts don't want to make people homeless if they can avoid it.

          The term should probably be "which...
          21-10-2018, 09:30 AM
        • DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
          Have I missed something, or is it impossible for joint landlords to be recorded in the DPS Custodial Scheme in the way that joint tenants are separately identified? Does anyone think that a problem could arise over deposit protection issues where the record shows the identity of only one of two joint...
          19-10-2018, 15:34 PM
        • Reply to DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
          It used to, but not any more (last time I used it was March - custodial scheme - so basing it on that date)....
          21-10-2018, 09:21 AM