Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint tenancy agreement

Hi there,

I came across this website while doing a search on google. I know this is for landlords but thought I'd post this question because you may be able to help.

Basically, myself and four others are going back home for easter holiday (we live in a student house) but as the house we live in is currently for sale, the letting agency is wanting to have the property viewed whilst we are away, which means handing our keys over and giving them access to our rooms. This wouldn't be a problem if they would, in the past, lock our bedroom doors on their way out and just generally act a in a professional manner, but they haven't.

What I want to know is where we stand? We don't want to give them our keys and just want them to start the viewings when we come back (after approx 4 weeks). Can we actually turn around and say "no"? We're worried that they may go behind our backs and ask the landlord for keys whilst we are away.

You may refuse access, however, a better approach would be to come to a compromise, e.g. to allow access when you are present for viewings.

Read this thread for a legal perspective: A landlord's right of access
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Is there any sort of legal document that can back that assertion up?

Comment

No. It's simply a consequence of:
        a. the Tenancy Agreement (probably containing an inbuilt consent clause);
        b. T's revocation of consent;
        c. L's obligation to give T 'quiet enjoyment' during the tenancy; and
        d. the law on harassment.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pets causing eviction
          Wiffle
          Hi everyone,

Bit of background to start with.

We are new tenants of a rental property and told not only our letting agent but our landlord that we were the owners of two dogs.

The letting agent checked with the landlord that dogs were ok and they agreed as long...
          17-06-2019, 17:15 PM
        • Reply to Pets causing eviction
          KTC
          They can't actually force you to give up your dogs. They can (attempt to) evict you.
          17-06-2019, 22:32 PM
          Wiffle
          You join us and the letting agent in the same thought, does anyone know if there's a set limit of time they can request or is it something they can just make up as they go?

I can echo that, my kids are all grown up now but my mediocre DIY skills have been called upon many more times for...
          17-06-2019, 22:08 PM
        • Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
          RichH
          Hi,
          Fence at rear of property severely damaged by the strong winds a couple of nights back.
          Informed landlord by phone & also sent photos of damage by email. I have made emergency repairs to stop them going completely, but they are beyond repair.
          Landlord says they were put...
          10-03-2016, 19:01 PM
        • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
          tenant83
          2 million+ rented homes in the UK, 14,782 surveyed by an insurance company is just pee in the ocean. You also referenced figures which were obviously in the landlords' favour, we can all do that which is why polls are useless. I can easily say almost half of tenants are unhappy with their landlords...
          17-06-2019, 21:32 PM
          Wainwright
          At any rate it's a tad unreasonable to give someone 2 weeks to rehome their dogs.

I don't know, but I'd be happier to let to people with pets (within reason, of course) than to those with children!! In my experience and those of other landlords I know, the latter have been far more problematic...
          17-06-2019, 21:18 PM
          Wainwright
          Ah! This is exactly what I was thinking as well....
          17-06-2019, 21:12 PM
        • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
          boletus
          [QUOTE=tenant83;n1070209]

I didn't state any particular survey but 14,782 is quite some heavy weighting.

Why do you think that is?

Which is one of the lowest percentages of empty homes in Europe
          -or any other comparable...
          17-06-2019, 21:10 PM
        • Locking Building Doors At Night
          ivand
          Hi everyone, I live in a block of flats (some rented, some owned) with no entry system. The factor want to install a simple lock on the only entry to the building and lock it at night at a set time and give residents a key to get in. I think this is dangerous because it restricts entry by emergency...
          14-06-2019, 17:42 PM
        • Reply to Locking Building Doors At Night
          MdeB
          We have had this discussion for our block of flats.

The argument for no locks includes "the police advise that having a lock can make gaining entry a challenge to groups under the influence on a Saturday night, but hey are likely to pass on by if it is unlocked".

17-06-2019, 21:06 PM
        Working...
        X