Is it a criminal offence to absond without paying rent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a criminal offence to absond without paying rent?

I'm aware that it is a statutory offence if a tenant fails to pay rent. But if that tenant absconds without paying, is that offence then criminal?

Try getting the Police interested even if it is! (which I do not believe it is anyway)
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

It is a civil matter Sir.

No CRIMINAL offence is committed by not paying your bills, unless its council tax or income tax or TV or Road Tax where non payment is a specific offence.

Comment

Civil.

It is difficult to summarise the difference - but in over-simplified terms, a criminal offence is an offence against society, where the crown or state will be involved, a civil offence is against an individual, where the individual has to take the actions.

Comment

Originally posted by neveradullmoment View Post
          I'm aware that it is a statutory offence if a tenant fails to pay rent.
          No, it's a breach of contract.

Comment

I'm aware that it is a statutory offence if a tenant fails to pay rent.
            No, it's not. As others have posted, it's a breach of contract.
            But if that tenant absconds without paying, is that offence then criminal?
            No, again. Other than the existence of unpaid rent, what made you ask? Are you L or T?
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

AFAIK if someone intends not to pay for rent beforehand, that would constitute obtaining goods or services by deception. Proving that would of course be tricky

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X