Tenant eviction live-in landlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant eviction live-in landlord

I am a live in landlord and have a problem tenant who myself and my wife are not getting on with, we have had noise issues and he is very confrontational. We are also wanting to sell our property so for these reasons would like him out as soon as possible. I have given notice to the tenant to leave on 24th April in writting and sent a copy to the housing dept. of our local council who housed him with us originally. He is claiming housing benefit which is paid to me directly. I am getting conflicting information about how I should go about this, I read somewere that as a live in landlord I do not need to give a section21 notice? so have given written notice instead. The council say they are trying to re-home him but I believe they may be waiting for him to be evicted.
    Do I have to wait until after 24th April and get a court order to evict him? As a live in landlord can I evict him myself?.

If you are in England/Wales, and the 'tenant' lives with you in your principal home, he is a lodger, a.k.a. excluded occupier. He is not an assured shorthold tenant.

To evict him, you must give him 'reasonable' notice. It doesn't have to be in writing, and s.21 notices apply only to assured shorthold tenancies, not to lodgers.

Over a month's notice is more than reasonable.

If he doesn't or won't leave by then, then you are entitled to change the locks while he is out to prevent him gaining access. You do not need a court order. (NB You are obviously not entitled to use any physical force to evict). It is advisable to have a witness present in case of any unpleasant confrontation (or later false allegations) when the lodger returns and tries to get it, not realizing the locks have changed. Call the police if the situation turns nasty.

Keep any remaining belongings in a safe place. If the lodger wishes to collect them, do not allow him access for this, take them outside, lock the door behind you, and hand them over.

Comment

See also
      http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...uded_occupiers

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
        by theartfullodger
        Many many tenants leave when served s21 , more when court papers served etc etc. Any tidal wave/tsunami may become visible later than now, if at all.
        21-05-2022, 12:04 PM
      • Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
        by jpkeates
        The latest government figures for possession claims have been published, which cover January through March 2022.
        That's post Covid restrictions and would probably include most of the last of the Covid backlog.

And there's no sign of the massive wave of evictions and resulting mass...
        19-05-2022, 10:46 AM
      • Reply to Ending contracts
        by theartfullodger
        Depends on what the agreement you have between you and agent or the terms and conditions they sent you when you started the relationship. Sadly can't read it from here.

See what it says, if you can't find anything ask agent to provide copy of such terms you agreed to.....and how/where...
        21-05-2022, 12:02 PM
      • Ending contracts
        by Pineapple288
        2 questions. I rent my BTL property through a letting agent. The current tenant has handed notice in. Am I right in saying I can now leave this letting agent?

Second question, the.reason I'm leaving the agent is because a very good friend of mine would like to rent he property. If she wants...
        21-05-2022, 11:59 AM
      • Reply to Noise from rented property
        by zcacogp
        Thanks for the help everyone. We've made (indirect) contact with the landlord who has been helpful, which is great. The council will be the next port of call if things don't sort themselves out.

Interestingly, the local university (Alma Mater of the students in question) seems to take...
        21-05-2022, 10:50 AM
      • Noise from rented property
        by zcacogp
        Hi,

I have a question to which I suspect I know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway.

We live in a house whose garden backs onto other gardens. One of those houses is let to a group of students.

The students are given to making noise in their garden, particularly...
        18-05-2022, 11:36 AM
      • Reply to Checks foe a Newbie
        by boletus
        List here (I've not checked if it's accurate or up to date e.g EICR);

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...the-first-time
        21-05-2022, 10:49 AM
      • Checks foe a Newbie
        by AVJ113
        Hello good people. I am currently in the process of buying my first BTL house. There is already a tenant, so I don't need to find one.

Can any anyone point me to a check list of 'must do legally', and also 'highly advised', please? I 've done my research but there's nothing like hearing...
        20-05-2022, 16:33 PM
        by AVJ113
        Is there no one here who is prepared to present a list of a landlord's obligations (and highly advisable actions) upon a new tenancy, based on there own experience?

As I said I am already buying a house and there is a tenant in situ....
        21-05-2022, 10:44 AM
        by Another Fine Mess
        Fortunately in the Uk (Scotland may be different) any house purchase is "Subject to Contract" which means that at any time you can change your mind. so if you have second thoughts you can back out.
        I would also say that even if you have signed a contract, and before completion, you...
        21-05-2022, 10:24 AM
      Working...
      X