No heating for 3 months, what can we do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    It is; but earlier wording suggested that, for L to use g8, T would have to owe two whole months' rent (i.e. rent of two whole months) which is not so.
    Another 'through a glass, darkly' moment.

westminster, I think the most useful wording is 'two whole months' worth of rent'. The difference is as a drop of dew on the toenail of a troll.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Actually, the best is just what the Act says (with my underlining):

Ground 8
      Both at the date of the service of the notice under section 8 of this Act relating to the proceedings for possession and at the date of the hearing:
      (a) if rent is payable weekly or fortnightly, at least eight weeks’ rent is unpaid;
      (b) if rent is payable monthly, at least two months’ rent is unpaid;
      (c) if rent is payable quarterly, at least one quarter’s rent is more than three months in arrears; and
      (d) if rent is payable yearly, at least three months’ rent is more than three months in arrears;
      and for the purpose of this ground “rent” means rent lawfully due from the tenant.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Actually, the best is just what the Act says (with my underlining):
        unpaid;
        (b) if rent is payable monthly, at least two months’ rent is unpaid;
        Er...isn't that semantically the same as what westminster said the first time?
        Originally posted by westminster View Post
        you would have to owe 2 whole months' rent ...
        Please note : the question above is purely rhetorical
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

No. It's that unbased reference to 'whole' that misleads people.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

I cannot imagine how anyone could be misled by it.

Comment

No. It's that unbased reference to 'whole' that misleads people.
              It's a colloquialism, not intended as a legal term.

Le sigh.

Comment

Le sigh...is that a gallic shrug?
                Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                  No, it's a lump of wood used to bludgeon pedants with (in a metaphorical sort of way, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                    Yes, pretty much. It originates from the Pepe Le Pew cartoon character skunk, who was always love-struck, so the sigh was one of romantic yearning. Now used to express mild frustration with life.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                      I cannot imagine how anyone could be misled by it.
                      Your lack of imagination is to blame.

Comment

Your lack of imagination is to blame.
                        ...that, from the James Joyce of conveyancing

(not]

Comment

That from someone who never sleeps- more awake than Finnegan.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X