Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

give notice after being given notice

Hi,
    we are on a periodic tenancy (month by month) and the period starts on the 15th of the month. We have been given 2 month notice by the landlord because is going to sell the house, so we need to be out by the 14th of May. Do we need to give one month notice anyway? Today we found another house. We sent an email and also a first class letter today giving him notice. It's a Saturday so the landlord will not receive it before Monday the 15th. Does this mean we have to pay for the entire 2 months? Is our notice by email valid? Does the notice need to be given before the 15th or can we give it anytime within the 2 months period? Thanks

Originally posted by patrikc View Post
    Hi,
    we are on a periodic tenancy (month by month) and the period starts on the 15th of the month. We have been given 2 month notice by the landlord because is going to sell the house, so we need to be out by the 14th of May. Do we need to give one month notice anyway? Today we found another house. We sent an email and also a first class letter today giving him notice. It's a Saturday so the landlord will not receive it before Monday the 15th. Does this mean we have to pay for the entire 2 months? Is our notice by email valid? Does the notice need to be given before the 15th or can we give it anytime within the 2 months period? Thanks
    Are you saying that you would prefer to leave on 14th April?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      Are you saying that you would prefer to leave on 14th April?
      Yes, within the 14 of April (the last day of my period). I sent notice today, but he will not receive the letter before the 15th (I don't know if the email I sent him today is legal). I also left a copy at the estate agency but they close earlier so they'll find it on Manday I just want to know if I have to pay till the 14th of April, or if I have to pay till the 14th of May.

Comment

Yes, within the 14 of April (the last day of my period). I sent notice today, but he will not receive the letter before the 15th (I don't know if the email I sent him today is legal). I also left a copy at the estate agency but they close earlier so they'll find it on Manday I just want to know if I have to pay till the 14th of April, or if I have to pay till the 14th of May.
        I think it will depend on whether they accept your notice or not. Technically if it does not arrive until 15th, then they are not obliged to, unless there is a clause in your TA establishing that emails may be used for serving notice.

However if they are hoping to sell the property they may be amenable to accepting it a day late. Why don't you ring the LL tomorrow and ask?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I think it will depend on whether they accept your notice or not. Technically if it does not arrive until 15th, then they are not obliged to, unless there is a clause in your TA establishing that emails may be used for serving notice.

However if they are hoping to sell the property they may be amenable to accepting it a day late. Why don't you ring the LL tomorrow and ask?
          Thanks.
          so, you can't move before the end of the 2 months notice period,even if you find a house, without paying the 2 full months?

Comment

Thanks.
            so, you can't move before the end of the 2 months notice period,even if you find a house, without paying the 2 full months?
            Yes, you can - by serving one month's notice yourself, but it must in your case be served in time to expire on 14th April (i.e. the last day of a rent period) and as you have explained, that may not be possible. You may end up missing the 14th April and going for 15th May instead - which is the same expiry date as your LL's notice in any case...unless your LL agrees to accept your notice. Get his agreement in writing.

Comment

Yes, you can - by serving one month's notice yourself, but it must in your case be served in time to expire on 14th April (i.e. the last day of a rent period) and as you have explained, that may not be possible. You may end up missing the 14th April and going for 15th May instead - which is the same expiry date as your LL's notice in any case...unless your LL agrees to accept your notice. Get his agreement in writing.
              thanks, clear explanation

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Buy to let research
                michael.blackmore
                Hello fellow LandlordZone members,

I am working on a product/platform that will give buy to let landlords/property investors increased control and financial clarity over their portfolios. There is limited research into the actual behaviour and knowledge within this area and I would therefore...
                22-01-2018, 09:19 AM
              • Competitive rent cuts
                JK0
                I'm still trying to let the flat with the green tiles. This was let in its un-renovated state for £700 in 2010, so I think £850 is reasonable now. Trouble is that there is an equivalent flat here in Reading that has been on the market since November for £795. Another one has just gone on the market...
                21-01-2018, 00:24 AM
              • Reply to Competitive rent cuts
                Interlaken
                Is that a storage heater in the hallway? I don't see the favoured words GFCH in the details - this could well be the problem of having it on the market in January.
                Could last tenants have left because they could not face another winter there?
                22-01-2018, 09:10 AM
              • Reply to Competitive rent cuts
                MisterB
                lol. I recently completed a complete refurb in magnolia, only for the boss to decide (in collusion with the 'selected' tenant) that it all needed to be shades of grey and a pink bedroom for her daughter,

of course I did as I was told, grumbling all the way, BUT to be honest (and as she...
                22-01-2018, 09:01 AM
              • Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
                Katelydstep
                late Rent after only 3 months (just after Xmas - odd that!) and my LA firstly didn’t inform me, and now say that it’s because the tenants have had their bank account hacked.
                would it be confrontational for me to ask for a letter of confirmation from the bank re the hacking issue?. Have had...
                10-01-2018, 11:19 AM
              • Reply to Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
                tatemono
                if you're in the northeast of England or northwest London, please PM me the agent's name... otherwise, thanks for sharing!
                22-01-2018, 08:51 AM
              • Reply to Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
                islandgirl
                I did check with a solicitor. The advice was that until I was out of pocket I could do nothing. The AST stood. If tenants had not paid rent and I had made some form of loss I could sue agent for it. I was not happy at the time. Fortunately tenant was OK. I now tell everyone locally never ever to use...
                22-01-2018, 08:46 AM
              • Partner as Permitted occupier worries
                Lauren 1234
                Hi all

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere but u have looked everywhere and can' find an answer!!

My current landlord is selling their property so I have put an app in for a new one. I have been renting on my own for three years and not caused any problems my credit...
                21-01-2018, 12:28 PM
              • Reply to Partner as Permitted occupier worries
                mariner
                Credit ref checks are only required for signatory Ts or Guarantor, but as LL I would credit ref anyone wishing to reside in my property. Explain to LL/LA in writng (dated) that you apply as sole T, but you wish your named partner/bf as permtted occupier. LL can reject your T applicaiion.
                22-01-2018, 01:49 AM
              • tenant hasn't paid last months rent
                ferrari-airwolf
                Hi there I am in a bit of a weird situation. Basically, 1 month ago I handed my section 21 notice to the tenant to leave the property. the T should be moving out of the property mid February. The T has always paid on time and kept the house in a good and clean condition. However when I checked to see...
                21-01-2018, 13:25 PM
              Working...
              X