Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

give notice after being given notice

Hi,
    we are on a periodic tenancy (month by month) and the period starts on the 15th of the month. We have been given 2 month notice by the landlord because is going to sell the house, so we need to be out by the 14th of May. Do we need to give one month notice anyway? Today we found another house. We sent an email and also a first class letter today giving him notice. It's a Saturday so the landlord will not receive it before Monday the 15th. Does this mean we have to pay for the entire 2 months? Is our notice by email valid? Does the notice need to be given before the 15th or can we give it anytime within the 2 months period? Thanks

Originally posted by patrikc View Post
    Hi,
    we are on a periodic tenancy (month by month) and the period starts on the 15th of the month. We have been given 2 month notice by the landlord because is going to sell the house, so we need to be out by the 14th of May. Do we need to give one month notice anyway? Today we found another house. We sent an email and also a first class letter today giving him notice. It's a Saturday so the landlord will not receive it before Monday the 15th. Does this mean we have to pay for the entire 2 months? Is our notice by email valid? Does the notice need to be given before the 15th or can we give it anytime within the 2 months period? Thanks
    Are you saying that you would prefer to leave on 14th April?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      Are you saying that you would prefer to leave on 14th April?
      Yes, within the 14 of April (the last day of my period). I sent notice today, but he will not receive the letter before the 15th (I don't know if the email I sent him today is legal). I also left a copy at the estate agency but they close earlier so they'll find it on Manday I just want to know if I have to pay till the 14th of April, or if I have to pay till the 14th of May.

Comment

Yes, within the 14 of April (the last day of my period). I sent notice today, but he will not receive the letter before the 15th (I don't know if the email I sent him today is legal). I also left a copy at the estate agency but they close earlier so they'll find it on Manday I just want to know if I have to pay till the 14th of April, or if I have to pay till the 14th of May.
        I think it will depend on whether they accept your notice or not. Technically if it does not arrive until 15th, then they are not obliged to, unless there is a clause in your TA establishing that emails may be used for serving notice.

However if they are hoping to sell the property they may be amenable to accepting it a day late. Why don't you ring the LL tomorrow and ask?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I think it will depend on whether they accept your notice or not. Technically if it does not arrive until 15th, then they are not obliged to, unless there is a clause in your TA establishing that emails may be used for serving notice.

However if they are hoping to sell the property they may be amenable to accepting it a day late. Why don't you ring the LL tomorrow and ask?
          Thanks.
          so, you can't move before the end of the 2 months notice period,even if you find a house, without paying the 2 full months?

Comment

Thanks.
            so, you can't move before the end of the 2 months notice period,even if you find a house, without paying the 2 full months?
            Yes, you can - by serving one month's notice yourself, but it must in your case be served in time to expire on 14th April (i.e. the last day of a rent period) and as you have explained, that may not be possible. You may end up missing the 14th April and going for 15th May instead - which is the same expiry date as your LL's notice in any case...unless your LL agrees to accept your notice. Get his agreement in writing.

Comment

Yes, you can - by serving one month's notice yourself, but it must in your case be served in time to expire on 14th April (i.e. the last day of a rent period) and as you have explained, that may not be possible. You may end up missing the 14th April and going for 15th May instead - which is the same expiry date as your LL's notice in any case...unless your LL agrees to accept your notice. Get his agreement in writing.
              thanks, clear explanation

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Money Claim Telephone Hearing
                by OS7
                Thanks so much. The defendants are already throwing in a lot of rubbish at me now, I can’t wait to see what they will say in front of the judge. I will probably keep my mouth shut and ignore whatever they are spinning.

when you explained the case, did the Judge ask for any clarifications....
                18-10-2021, 20:41 PM
              • Money Claim Telephone Hearing
                by rapid111111
                S21 was issued, tenants left, has 9 months rent arrears amounting to over 10k+. The hearing review (which I wasn't called for or required to attend) progressed onto a money claim telephone hearing which is coming up as there was no longer a need for a possession claim. So I guess that means everything...
                12-10-2021, 09:55 AM
              • Reply to Rent Increase
                by Ted.E.Bear
                Things have been very volatile lately, I suspect partly due to the uncertainty amongst students over the summer having a knock-on effect.
                Rents were much lower a couple of months ago, then shot up near the start of term, they may not stay as high.

You may get £800, for 3 months,...
                18-10-2021, 20:38 PM
              • Rent Increase
                by TREK
                I am a landlord and have been letting a property out to tenants for £600 PCM for 4 years with no rent increases, i have not had my eye on the ball for 18 months and have just found out that very similar properties in the area are going for £800 PCM. What is the maximum i could raise the rent at the...
                18-10-2021, 17:22 PM
              • Reply to Rent Increase
                by landlord-man
                But you'd still be doing yourself out of £1,800 per year.

You're going to waste another 3 years after that getting to todays market rent of £800 - which by then will probably be £900+

You're missing out on a few nice holidays or the cost in redecorating, recarpeting your...
                18-10-2021, 20:30 PM
              • Reply to TDS requiring court order
                by landlord-man
                If they vacated in March, isnt mid October a little late to be asking for help.

I take it you have new tenants now.

YOU made the mistake (which we all do) but you should just accept it, learn from it and move on.

By all means offer them 50% of their deposit...
                18-10-2021, 20:20 PM
              • TDS requiring court order
                by memkad
                Hello all,

As an amateur landlord, I have made quite a big mistake.

I’ve let a house to a limited company and used an AST template from the Law Society, not realising that the document is not valid for use with companies.

All was well until March this year when...
                18-10-2021, 18:15 PM
              • Reply to Rent Increase
                by TREK
                I have no intention of evicting my tenants but funny you should mention £50 per month as i thought that would be a reasonable amount as well....
                18-10-2021, 20:07 PM
              • Reply to Rent Increase
                by jpucng62
                I would suggest you might get away with £50 pcm increase with an explanation that a rent has not gone up for 4 years so there needs to be a significant rent rise. Then £25 cpm each year until you have caught up bit. Seems unfair to evict tenants for you taking you eye off the ball!
                18-10-2021, 19:59 PM
              • Reply to Rent Increase
                by TREK
                Landlords are actually getting £800 as there is a massive demand in the area as very few properties available for rent, the market has gone crazy, £1200 for a 3 bed semi in Liverpool....
                18-10-2021, 19:19 PM
              Working...
              X