• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


    one of my tenants has left without paying their rent

    i have her solicitors details

    can i chase her rent by writing to her solicitor as i dont know her future address

    can i get a CCJ on her? someone told me the CCJ will be on her name at the property she was at! is this true? or will the CCJ remain with her wherever she goes until she pays her rent arrears?


    Firstly, there is no DUTY on a solicitor to reveal his client's current address. There is also no duty to accept service of any document by the solicitor for his client. You could try asking them if they will forward a letter from you to their client but its doubful they will in a debt-collection situation.

    The CCJ remains listed for 6 years at the property at which you sue her, or another property which she lists as one she is living at if you serve on the old address and she gets it forwarded to her new address and subsequently loses the claim you make against her.
    It does not follow the debtor around otherwise.


      out of interest, would anyone on landlord zone bother to chase someone for lost rent after they have left their property?

      is it worth it?


        Originally posted by Evergreen View Post
        out of interest, would anyone on landlord zone bother to chase someone for lost rent after they have left their property?
        In principle yes - but it depends on a combination of many factors such as how much they owe; whether you know their whereabouts and if not, how hard/expensive it will be to locate them; and their actual ability to pay once you've caught up with them.


          If they are not working and have no savings or shares that can be siezed - its throwing good money after bad.

          If they are employed - attach earnings. If they subsequently own a property, Charging Order and potentially Order for Sale.

          No point in throwing good money after bad - main thing is to get them out of your house if they are not paying rent.


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Tenant in situ
            by Interlaken
            Agree with above but if the property is in poor condition and the tenant elderly (or could be child of tenant who may be middle aged) then steer clear. I would definitely speak with the tenant.
            24-01-2022, 13:30 PM
          • Tenant in situ
            by Bridge2020
            I’m looking at buying another property to rent out. The one I’m looking at has a tenant in situ. I have seen a copy of the AST and payments to the agents.
            Anyone have any experience of this please ?...
            20-01-2022, 08:29 AM
          • Reply to How to track down landlord
            by kelbol
            Emailing means the person may or may not receive it, and if they do, they may or may not reply. I didn't want to wait around to find out if I do get a reply. I wanted to get a phone number.
            In any case, I managed to get hold of the Landlord via the business. The ball is now in his court.
            24-01-2022, 13:15 PM
          • How to track down landlord
            by kelbol
            Next door property is being rented out and had the roof redone. Mine got damaged in the process.
            I'd like to contact the landlord/owner of the property next door to let him know and get his roofers back but I don't have his contact details.
            He's British but lives abroad. The phone number...
            21-01-2022, 20:27 PM
          • Reply to Tenant in situ
            by jpucng62
            If the property appears to be in good condition and the tenant has been in less than a year you should be able to avoid many of the possible problems.

            Ideally you would want the tenant to sign a new tenancy with you so you can be certain all documentation has been served correctly. If they...
            24-01-2022, 12:43 PM
          • Reply to Tenant in situ
            by Bridge2020
            The tenant has been in less than a year....
            24-01-2022, 12:32 PM
          • Reply to Mould, rent arrears
            by allzone
            Thanks to those who have responded. There is only one eviction specialist in LLZ directory based in north London. Would it be recommended to get a eviction specialist more local? Property in Sussex. Any recommendations welcome via direct message
            24-01-2022, 12:14 PM
          • Mould, rent arrears
            by allzone
            I have a tenant who I would describe as problematic, difficult. Generally raising minor plumbing, electrical, maintenance issues which most DIYers could easily rectify, I try to resolve these in a reasonable timeframe but often have issues as tenant makes it difficult for me to gain access.
            17-01-2022, 09:07 AM
          • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
            by DPT57
            Its an interesting point though. In all the TV programmes I've watched about Police forcing entry, I've never seen them break in the front door to a block of flats, just the individual flat door, as they usually try to persuade another flat occupier to let them in. If this failed and they did break...
            24-01-2022, 12:00 PM
          • Property damaged. Advice please
            by minorbark
            Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

            TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
            18-01-2022, 21:55 PM