X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ccj

one of my tenants has left without paying their rent

i have her solicitors details

can i chase her rent by writing to her solicitor as i dont know her future address

can i get a CCJ on her? someone told me the CCJ will be on her name at the property she was at! is this true? or will the CCJ remain with her wherever she goes until she pays her rent arrears?

thanks

Firstly, there is no DUTY on a solicitor to reveal his client's current address. There is also no duty to accept service of any document by the solicitor for his client. You could try asking them if they will forward a letter from you to their client but its doubful they will in a debt-collection situation.

The CCJ remains listed for 6 years at the property at which you sue her, or another property which she lists as one she is living at if you serve on the old address and she gets it forwarded to her new address and subsequently loses the claim you make against her.
    It does not follow the debtor around otherwise.

Comment

out of interest, would anyone on landlord zone bother to chase someone for lost rent after they have left their property?

is it worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by Evergreen View Post
        out of interest, would anyone on landlord zone bother to chase someone for lost rent after they have left their property?
        In principle yes - but it depends on a combination of many factors such as how much they owe; whether you know their whereabouts and if not, how hard/expensive it will be to locate them; and their actual ability to pay once you've caught up with them.

Comment

If they are not working and have no savings or shares that can be siezed - its throwing good money after bad.

If they are employed - attach earnings. If they subsequently own a property, Charging Order and potentially Order for Sale.

No point in throwing good money after bad - main thing is to get them out of your house if they are not paying rent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
            BouwensPB
            I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
            26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
          • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
            Galatea
            I have experienced far more dificult cases than that from my neighbour's tenants with my front window and my flat door window cracked.

Make an offer she cannot refuse. Carrots work better.

Local Authorities are slow moving because shortage of housing is a problem.
            27-07-2017, 22:25 PM
          • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Pb21
            Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
            25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
          • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Galatea
            Since the Yale was broken it proves the tenants took responsible measures for the security: they locked the door.
            The yale is necessary for security. It is sufficient and safe to use in case of a fire because you could get out quickly operating the lock with the thump ie you don't want to be looking...
            27-07-2017, 22:13 PM
          • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
            IoIo
            Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
            26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
          • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
            IoIo
            Thank you all for your comments. Very useful, informative and much appreciated.

The tenants are "moving out" on the last day of the current tenancy i.e. at the end of the term. My understanding is that if they're all listed as the "Tenant" then if one gives notice it's...
            27-07-2017, 21:23 PM
          • This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
            Berlingogirl
            This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
            27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
          • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
            Berlingogirl
            I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
            27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
            Wright76
            You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
            27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
            theartfullodger
            Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
            27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
          Working...
          X