• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


    one of my tenants has left without paying their rent

    i have her solicitors details

    can i chase her rent by writing to her solicitor as i dont know her future address

    can i get a CCJ on her? someone told me the CCJ will be on her name at the property she was at! is this true? or will the CCJ remain with her wherever she goes until she pays her rent arrears?


    Firstly, there is no DUTY on a solicitor to reveal his client's current address. There is also no duty to accept service of any document by the solicitor for his client. You could try asking them if they will forward a letter from you to their client but its doubful they will in a debt-collection situation.

    The CCJ remains listed for 6 years at the property at which you sue her, or another property which she lists as one she is living at if you serve on the old address and she gets it forwarded to her new address and subsequently loses the claim you make against her.
    It does not follow the debtor around otherwise.


      out of interest, would anyone on landlord zone bother to chase someone for lost rent after they have left their property?

      is it worth it?


        Originally posted by Evergreen View Post
        out of interest, would anyone on landlord zone bother to chase someone for lost rent after they have left their property?
        In principle yes - but it depends on a combination of many factors such as how much they owe; whether you know their whereabouts and if not, how hard/expensive it will be to locate them; and their actual ability to pay once you've caught up with them.


          If they are not working and have no savings or shares that can be siezed - its throwing good money after bad.

          If they are employed - attach earnings. If they subsequently own a property, Charging Order and potentially Order for Sale.

          No point in throwing good money after bad - main thing is to get them out of your house if they are not paying rent.


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by doobrey
            Sound advice indeed.
            25-01-2022, 10:00 AM
          • Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by AVJ113
            Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
            20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
          • Reply to compensation for no heating or hot water for 2 weeks in winter?
            by jpucng62
            Providing heaters and a cash sum to pay for the extra cost running them will incur might take the sting out of the situation. I cannot imagine being without heating and hot water for 2 weeks!
            25-01-2022, 09:09 AM
          • Reply to Water Damage
            by Hudson01
            If i am honest i feel they have a point, they rented a bedroom not a lounge to keep moving their bedding in and out of for a couple of weeks, if you do give a rent reduction then add this onto the bill for the insurers. I assume that the lounge is shared by them all so what if the tenant who's bedroom...
            25-01-2022, 09:05 AM
          • Reply to Water Damage
            by jpucng62
            Put yourself in their shoes - they have lost their lounge and the tenant using it as a bedroom has lost their privacy. They are paying for something they are not getting and although it isn’t your fault it is not their fault either.

            I would offer them something and try to get it back...
            25-01-2022, 09:03 AM
          • Reply to Regulated Tenancy
            by AndrewDod
            Well everything has a price. The price discount here may be to purchase at about 10% of the price of a similar non-problematical property if you want to take a punt on possible a very long term benefit versus a long term loss....
            25-01-2022, 08:44 AM
          • Reply to Water Damage
            by DoricPixie
            Keeping a soaking wet carpet in-situ until such time as the council can come out and inspect doesn’t sound ideal for either the tenants or your property. Have you contacted your own insurers?...
            25-01-2022, 08:42 AM
          • Reply to Water Damage
            by DoricPixie
            And if you don’t meet their demands by the deadline what exactly are the tenants going to do?...
            25-01-2022, 08:37 AM
          • Water Damage
            by Cheetah
            I have three 20-somethings in an ex-council flat in a block of six. A week ago they reported that the carpet and the furniture legs in the small bedroom had been damaged by water ingress. The tenant in that room had to move into the lounge. The council have accepted responsibility for the damage as...
            25-01-2022, 08:34 AM
          • Reply to What to do at the end of an AST period?
            by jtufty
            An update:

            The tenant's partner has spoken to his support worker and theyve confirmed he will lose all his benefits if he moves in. So the tenant has decided to leave things as they are and wants to go into another 6 month AST.

            Rather than continuing on a Periodic Tenancy,...
            25-01-2022, 07:56 AM