Section 21 in periodic tennancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 21 in periodic tennancy

If after a six month AST fixed term tennancy came to and end and a periodic tenancy then started can you serve a section 21(4)(a), or would it have too be a section 8 as it is in the first six month protected period?

or does the initial fixed term tenancy count as the six month protected period?

Thankyou

Section 8 and section 21 are entirely distinct procedures. You need to familiarise yourself with them.
    After the fixed term has expired, L can serve T under s.21(4)(a). The initial six months has ended, so the 'six-month' rule no longer applies.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks

I realise this just i'm doing a course and the wording is a little confusing

"However the advantage of an AST to the landlord is that at the end of the term (or at any time during a periodic tenancy after the first six month protected period) they only need to serve notice under section 21 of the HA1988"

Does this mean periodic tenancy's have a protected six month period just as fixed term does? and so back to my original questions if they do would you then need too serve a section 8 instead of 21 after an AST had turned into a periodic tenancy,

o and just a quick one how does the Landlord and tenant know whether an AST would turn into a periodic tenancy after the fixed term, is it whatever is agreed in the tenancy agreement, or does the landlord need too ask the tenant etc?

Comment

No. The wording quoted accurately states that s.21 can be used during an SPT as long as it's at least six months since the fixed term began.
        A fixed term can continue into an SPT by operation of law [s.5 of 1988 Act] without any action by the parties.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Thankyou one again just the woridng didnt use the word "began" which would have been a bit more clear.

As for the SPT coming into effect by law, have i not read on here that tenants do not need too do anything to end the tenancy i.e they can just pack up and leave? or do they need too inform the LL they do not wish too continue into an SPT

Comment

T can leave:
            a. on fixed-term expiry, without giving to L any Notice at all (even if the Letting Agreement seems to require one); or
            b. during the SPT, by giving to L at least one month's Notice [assuming monthly SPT] running up to & inc. a month end.

Comment

So if for example a tenant's fixed term expiry ended on december the 5th say and he just pakced up and left by this date, why could the LL not presume it had turned into a periodic tenancy if he had not heard anything either way fromn the T? :s

Comment

Originally posted by BL5 View Post
                why could the LL not presume it had turned into a periodic tenancy if he had not heard anything either way fromn the T?
                Because if the tenant has left by the expiry date, he has complied with the contract that he has signed. I.e. to rent the property from X date to Y date.

Comment

Originally posted by BL5 View Post
                  So if for example a tenant's fixed term expiry ended on december the 5th say and he just pakced up and left by this date, why could the LL not presume it had turned into a periodic tenancy if he had not heard anything either way fromn the T? :s
                  No. If T leaves, it ceases to be an AST or SAT [s.1(1)]; so the Act does not apply; so it cannot become an SPT.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                    pdmalik
                    Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
                    23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
                  • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                    wfd_property
                    So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
                    24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                  • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                    Manchesterlandlord
                    hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
                    24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
                  • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                    wfd_property
                    Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
                    24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
                    KTC
                    "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
                    24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
                  • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                    Jcg76
                    I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                    Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                    24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                    nukecad
                    At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
                    And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
                    24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
                    jpkeates
                    Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
                    Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
                    Give them the deposit back and you're done....
                    24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
                  • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                    JP23
                    Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                    23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                  • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                    jpkeates
                    Unless the OP comes back to confirm whether the charge was pre-agreed and now regretted or simply sprung on them, we're a bit stuck.
                    24-07-2017, 19:48 PM
                  Working...
                  X