Housemate leaves before end of contract.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housemate leaves before end of contract.

Hi LandordZone forumites. I need your advice please.

I rented a room out in my house. My housemate signed up for 6 months but disappeared just before the second months rent was due.
    He still as the house keys.

I sent and received a text message yesterday enquiring about his where abouts because I had not seen him for a few days. He replied saying...

"Not left yet. Back in yorkshire at the minute. Doubt i'll be coming back to be honest so will post the keys to u. Got too much **** going on and no disrespect but being treated like a kid sometimes in the house just winds me up more. You will get the keys by post in the next couple of days but u can re-advertise the room now."

I'm not sure exactly what he meant by being treated like a kid. But chatting with my other house mate as revealed the fact that she told him to be quiet at 1am in the morning when he came in drunk and loud and woke her up on a few occasions and on one occasion she told him to hurry up in the bathroom one morning because she needed to go to the toilet whilst he was in the shower.

This seems rather petty reasons for reneging on the houseshare contract he signed with me.

My question is how do I make him fulfil is contractual obligations regarding the legally binding 6 month contract he signed ?

Thanks Dave

1. As you reside there, this is not a tenancy covered by the 1988 Act but, at most, either a licence or an excluded tenancy.
    2. He is, however, bound by his contractual obligations.
    3. Does he have any assets? Verify this before deciding if it's worth suing him.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

No he doesn't have any assets. He could not even afford to pay his share of the bills last month. He had to borrow some money off a friend.

He is working though so he as a regular income. I'm not sure wether to go to the courts but I feel he should be made to pay the remaining rent on his contract until I find someone to take his room, otherwise what is point of having a contract ?

I also noticed yesterday when cleaning his room that he as broken the coat hook off the back of the bedroom door and taken the duvet cover, bottom sheet and pillow cases.

He as still not returned the keys so I'm going to have to replace locks and get new keys cut.

Comment

Attachment of Earnings?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord (me) or agent to register deposit - pros & cons
          123Landlord
          Hello,

I'm writing my ideal specification for employing an agent - I'm a very optimistic person!

So this is hypothetical ... I'm trying to work out if it's better to get an agent to register a deposit or register it myself (even if I pay for a fully managed service).
          18-09-2017, 19:40 PM
        • Reply to Landlord (me) or agent to register deposit - pros & cons
          tatemono
          okay... let me spell that out then to see if there are any gaps in my knowledge
          1. I'd have to make sure that the AST contains a clause that allows notices/PI/etc to be served by email.
          2. They'd pay me the deposit via bank transfer.
          3. I'd place the deposit with DPS.
          4. I'd send them the PI via email along
          20-09-2017, 09:24 AM
        • Wording on AST Renewal
          MYork
          I have been in this property for 14 months now (15/7/16). In at the end of April I received a letter regarding renewal of my tenancy agreement. When reading the letter it states if I wish to renew or alternatively if I wish to vacate the property so I was under the assumption that these were the only...
          19-09-2017, 19:37 PM
        • Reply to Wording on AST Renewal
          tatemono
          It is not illegal (currently) for LA's to charge an admin fee for renewal of an AST. Nor is it illegal for a LL to insist that a tenancy does not go periodic but is renewed with a further fixed term. It may not be what you want and you may be right to think it's not fair, but it's not illegal.
          20-09-2017, 09:20 AM
        • Taking on a lodger and interpreting mortgage terms
          Eigentum
          Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to the world of property investment. I've recently purchased a second property on a residential mortgage for the purposes of being closer to my workplace for most of the week and also to ease myself into understanding the world of property investment. It's...
          19-09-2017, 22:02 PM
        • Reply to Taking on a lodger and interpreting mortgage terms
          jpkeates
          For tax purposes, you will have to select which of the two properties you own is your main residence (as CGT is payable on the other one).

Your mortgage terms may not allow the situation anyway, as normally a residential mortgage is assumed to be on your main residence, not somewhere you...
          20-09-2017, 09:02 AM
          ilovelettingagents
          I'm referring to Letting Agents that present your options as being "sign a new fixed term and pay the fee" or "move out". This is clearly misleading, as the third option of a statutory periodic tenancy is not put forward. The tenant is in no position to negotiate anything - you either...
          20-09-2017, 09:01 AM
        • How early do you start advertising?
          PollyW
          I manage my own properties and have always waited until I have a vacant flat which is ready for letting before I start advertising.

I have a tenant due to leave in one month and I am concerned that the later I leave the advertising, the harder it will be to fill the flat, given the time...
          19-09-2017, 08:19 AM
        • Reply to How early do you start advertising?
          boletus
          One month before, usually have a waiting list by the time it is empty....
          20-09-2017, 08:54 AM
          security2
          Yeah, it's shocking isn't it. You sign a legal contract, under UK law, and the least you'd expect is to be able to walk away from it and for any of the terms that you agreed to and signed up for to be just ridden roughshod over...

Some people need to take responsibility for their own actions!...
          20-09-2017, 08:18 AM
        Working...
        X