Landlord applied for accelerated possession - advice please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord applied for accelerated possession - advice please!

We have been renting a property for almost 2 years now and the landlord decided he wanted to sell around 6 months ago. We allowed viewings even though it stated in the contract that we did not have to do so until the last 28 days of the tenancy and we had not had a section 21 issued at that stage.

Anyway after a few months of this we got fed up and said we would not be allowing any more viewings until we were given notice so the letting agency then immediately served us with a section 21 but did so 5 days after the rent due day not on the exact date they should have done.

Due to us finding it extremely difficult to find somewhere else to live (4 children, husband made redundant last October), we went to the council for advice and they told us not to leave when the section 21 expired and stay put until the landlord took us to court and got a possession date. We were not happy about this as we did not want to cause any trouble but had no other option.

Now last week, the court 'struck out' the accelerated possession application due to the section 21 not being served on the correct date. So am I right in assuming the landlord will now have to serve another section 21 on the next rent due date and go through the process all over again or will the original section 21 which was served over 3 months ago still be valid so he can just put another application in for possession? Really would like to know where we stand as have no idea how much longer we will be in limbo and the council will not do anything to help rehouse us until we have the bailiffs knocking down the door to evict us .

The new section 21 should give you at least two clear months' notice ending on a rent payment day. Then LL must apply for a court order which will take several weeks at least (you will be given a court date in advance).

If you do not move out on that date, he will have to instruct bailiffs. How quickly he can do that will depend on how busy the bailiffs are.

Perhaps other can give a clearer time scale, but I'd guess you will have at least three or four months before you are required to move out - could be longer.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for Non protected deposit
      charliesugar
      This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
      She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
      27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
    • Reply to Claiming for Non protected deposit
      mariner
      [QUOTE=charliesugar;n998575]To DIY she would need to pay a £305 court fee up front ( or I would have to lend it to her!) then there is the hassle of a court date etc NWNF at least gives her the support of someone who knows what they are doing[QUOTE]

Really?

AFAIK
      win...
      21-07-2017, 01:01 AM
    • Help. Scam/ fraud letting
      Hayleydenice93
      Hiya

i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
      20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
    • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
      mariner
      So who owns the Freehold?
      IMO there cannot be a freehold TENANCY.
      21-07-2017, 00:24 AM
    • Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
      Jenny7
      Hi, hope you can offer some insight, we are looking to move rental property due to new job starting in September in a new location.
      So thankfully we've a window to shop around to find a new place.
      We've found one suitable spot but we're still looking around, the new place has asked for credit...
      17-07-2017, 12:10 PM
    • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
      MrShed
      Couldn't agree more. How shortsighted. Unless they assume a tenant would leave with no notice and no forwarding address...
      20-07-2017, 22:47 PM
    • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
      KTC
      Going back to the OP.

This makes zero sense. Why would the LA/LL want a notice to quit from a tenant who they don't otherwise have a problem with. The longer until the tenant provide the notice, the longer the tenant is liable for rent. The notice period given now say, or given a month...
      20-07-2017, 22:46 PM
    • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      MrShed
      I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
      20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
    • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      MrShed
      I'm not sure that calling someone's career driven information "nonsense" could be classed as anything other than an insult....
      20-07-2017, 22:41 PM
    • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      JK0
      Not intended to be an insult. Just sad that some are so frightened of TPTB....
      20-07-2017, 22:39 PM
    Working...
    X