Inexperienced landlord!! I need help!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexperienced landlord!! I need help!!!

Hi was wondering if you more experienced than me people could advise?
    I have been renting out my property for a few years now with not too much hassle, but the tenant has just moved out and left a bit of a mess?? I'm sure it's not as bad as it cud have been but I'm still not happy! Rooms have been started in one colour and finished in another not matching at all ?? Carpets all marked ( ie not wear and tear big blackcurrent juice stain/cream carpet) not clean at all whole house is really dirty!! Can I take money from the bond for these things??? I'm just inexperienced really and not sure of what I can and can't do?? Which leads me to another problem? When I got the bond from the tenant I wasn't aware of the deposit scheme thing?? However I just put the bond in a bank account that I opened just to keep the bond in and have not touched it the whole time? So it's just sitting there?? How do I go about all of this? And to top it off there wase expecting my old tenant to leave it exactly as it was (as stated in the agreement) so that someone else could just move in? I have a new tenant going in in 3 days time arghhhhhh!!

Please help me

Originally posted by Babs30 View Post
    Hi was wondering if you more experienced than me people could advise?
    I have been renting out my property for a few years now with not too much hassle, but the tenant has just moved out and left a bit of a mess?? I'm sure it's not as bad as it cud have been but I'm still not happy! Rooms have been started in one colour and finished in another not matching at all ?? Carpets all marked ( ie not wear and tear big blackcurrent juice stain/cream carpet) not clean at all whole house is really dirty!! Can I take money from the bond for these things??? I'm just inexperienced really and not sure of what I can and can't do?? Which leads me to another problem? When I got the bond from the tenant I wasn't aware of the deposit scheme thing?? However I just put the bond in a bank account that I opened just to keep the bond in and have not touched it the whole time? So it's just sitting there?? How do I go about all of this? And to top it off there wase expecting my old tenant to leave it exactly as it was (as stated in the agreement) so that someone else could just move in? I have a new tenant going in in 3 days time arghhhhhh!!

Please help me
    I am assuming this is an AST and that it began, or has been renewed, after 6 April 2007?

If so, then your tenant's deposit should have been protected in a scheme. You need to return it immediately (i.e. today or first thing tomorrow) without deducting anything. Otherwise your tenant may discover that he can sue your for its full return plus 3x the deposit, which is the penalty for non-compliance with deposit protection legislation.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
      mandm
      This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
      Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
      I served the...
      21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
    • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
      theartfullodger
      You don't mention PI so should we assume you can't prove you served it?...
      21-07-2017, 10:35 AM
      jpkeates
      I don't think the solicitor is chancing their arm or that the allegation is false.
      The tenant has identified that you didn't give them the prescribed information and the solicitor is acting on that.

The penalty is likely to be on the low side (1 x the deposit perhaps - even though...
      21-07-2017, 10:35 AM
    • what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
      daxu
      Hi,
      I have a one bed flat that is let out at the moment. I asked an electrician to change the fusebox to a consumer unit and asked him for a cost of changing my battery smoke alarm to a main conntected one.

What he told me is that I need two alarms, one smoke alarm and one heat alarm...
      21-07-2017, 10:02 AM
    • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
      MrShed
      What a load of rubbish this sparky is spinning to you!!

A single battery operated smoke alarm on a single floor is absolutely fine.
      21-07-2017, 10:23 AM
      MrShed
      To be fair, allowing DPS to send the email is even worse, as this doesnt help you prove that they received it.

In fairness it doesnt sound like you did in fact give them the prescribed information...
      21-07-2017, 10:18 AM
      mandm
      Thanks Guys for your immediate response, i will write and will attach the confirmation email from the DPS to the solicitor.
      @AndrewDod I did not send them email, DPS did, i also asked them to post the confirmation to tenants but they said due to DPA, tenants needs to request that!
      Is there...
      21-07-2017, 10:03 AM
    • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      MrShed
      I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
      20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
    • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      MrShed
      Depends on the storage provider. The other problem is though that in a disaster recovery position, they usually fail this to somewhere else, out of EU - which puts you in breach
      21-07-2017, 09:50 AM
    • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
      jjlandlord
      Cloud storage providers let you choose where to store data for this very reason.

It is OK to send data to the US under the so-called "Privacy Shield" as far as I know.
      21-07-2017, 09:46 AM
    Working...
    X