Ex Moved Out- Concerned about rent/ bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ex Moved Out- Concerned about rent/ bills

I have recently split up with my partner. We signed a fixed term joint tenancy agreement in September 09 which is due to end in September 2010.

My ex went to stay with his mum for a week while he was 'deliberating' and is now in the process of moving out (I put all his stuff in the spare room so I didn't have to be around it and he is gradually collecting it). I'm pretty sure he expected me to move out and I've scuppered his plans by telling him I want to stay in the flat. He has a key and can come and go as he pleases. I would never attempt to stop him.

He has told me that he has friends who would like to move into the flat and that if I agreed to this he would not expect me to pay any rent/ bills. I said no as I don't want to move out of my home.

My concern is that he will now refuse to pay his half of the remaining 5 months rent, although he won't currently talk to me about it at all. I understand that as far as the landlord is concerned, I'm liable to pay the whole lot. I can afford to do this so I'm not worried about arrears, but it would substantially eat into the deposit for the house I intend to buy once this tenancy ends. If he did refuse, is there any way I could go about claiming the money from him? I have bank statements which show that each month he transferred half the rent into my account, from which the whole lot was paid by standing order.

As far as bills are concerned, I intend to suggest that he pays half of all "standing" charges (water and council tax), but I will pay all metered utilities seeing as it is only me using them. Does this seem fair and could I enforce this?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by fairy1006 View Post
    He has told me that he has friends who would like to move into the flat and that if I agreed to this he would not expect me to pay any rent/ bills. I said no as I don't want to move out of my home.
    Aside from this, the tenancy agreement will almost certainly say that you cannot sublet. You would need the LL's consent and cooperation to install brand new tenants, and the 'friends' may not pass LL's credit/reference checks.

My concern is that he will now refuse to pay his half of the remaining 5 months rent... I understand that as far as the landlord is concerned, I'm liable to pay the whole lot. I can afford to do this so I'm not worried about arrears... If he did refuse, is there any way I could go about claiming the money from him? I have bank statements which show that each month he transferred half the rent into my account, from which the whole lot was paid by standing order.
    As far as the landlord is concerned, you are both individually and jointly liable to pay the whole rent. Your BF's liability to LL does not end just because he moved out.

From your POV, if you have evidence (such as your bank statements) showing that you had an agreement with your BF for him to pay a portion of the rent, then you should have a case to claim against him in the county court. For a sum less than £5,000 it would be allocated to the small claims track, which is designed to be accessible to the litigant-in-person.

As far as bills are concerned, I intend to suggest that he pays half of all "standing" charges (water and council tax), but I will pay all metered utilities seeing as it is only me using them. Does this seem fair and could I enforce this?
    Not sure about council tax - wouldn't you get a reduction for living there alone?

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
      Not sure about council tax - wouldn't you get a reduction for living there alone?
      Yes. A sole occupant receives a 25% discount.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Using a rental guarantee agency
        by Luke
        The agency guy made me an offer which was quite below the market rate , I was considering the offer and two days later he asked me what I have decided to do . I apologized for not replying earlier as I had been busy sorting my tenancy agreement out .
        He replied "You MISUNDERSTOOD I gave...
        24-09-2021, 08:34 AM
      • Using a rental guarantee agency
        by Luke
        I am the LL to a three bedroom property in London which is currently empty as the previous tenants moved out .
        I am having difficulty getting back to the U.K at the moment because I am abroad in a Covid red zone Country ,
        I have contacted an agency who have visited the property and given...
        22-09-2021, 11:54 AM
      • Reply to S21 served expired EPC!
        by Worriednow
        Unfortunately I simply renewed the tenancy like I have been on a yearly basis. So when I last renewed with them I didn't give a EPC, we just renewed amicably. It's only since serving the S21 notice that I realised I should have given them the EPC when they renewed last year, except it had already expired...
        24-09-2021, 08:25 AM
      • S21 served expired EPC!
        by Worriednow
        Hi All
        Hope you can help. I served a S21 notice on my tenants giving them 6 months notice to leave. The actual tenancy expired in August 2021 but with the Covid rules i had to give 6 months notice which means they have to be out by November.

The notice was served May this year but...
        23-09-2021, 20:02 PM
      • Reply to Utilities Account Manager
        by michaelwgroves
        I was with Spark for my home for several years, now park of OVO. I remember it was fine. I might call them to see what they can do...
        24-09-2021, 08:20 AM
      • Utilities Account Manager
        by michaelwgroves
        I have a large portfolio, I got tired of spending ours on the phone each week managing utilities between tenancies. I found a utility company that gave me a dedicated account team. I simply email the tenancy change and it gets sorted. However, there are a few challenges they are struggling to overcome,...
        22-09-2021, 07:15 AM
      • Reply to Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?
        by Hooper
        Sounds like a poor LL. But if the damage is not noted on check-in and is listed on check out, then rightly or wrongly the evidence is in LL favour, surely?

If there was damage at check-in and it was not noted on the report, then it is the tenant's responsibility to have the report amended....
        24-09-2021, 08:08 AM
      • Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?
        by kankan
        Hello everyone,

After signing the contract, but before moving in, the flat suffered some flood damage. 3 rooms needed repainting because of water stains and paint falling off.
        We were promised that this will be taken care of after moving in. We followed up several times, but the repairs...
        22-09-2021, 19:26 PM
      • Reply to S21 served expired EPC!
        by KTC
        Did you give them a copy of it while it was valid, or only after it expired when you served the s21?

"The relevant person must ensure that a valid energy performance certificate has been given free of charge to the person who ultimately becomes the buyer or tenant."
        24-09-2021, 07:58 AM
      • Reply to What to do if letting agent stops to pay out
        by jpkeates
        Amended version....
        24-09-2021, 07:58 AM
      Working...
      X