Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I claim anything back for this?

Hi

My tenants moved out last week. I have had a report from the agent managing this for me as I am not in the UK at the minute. Amongst other things the T's have repainted (badly) one room and touched up several others leaving it like a patchwork quilt! They have badly dented a freezer door (4 years old), had sky tv fitted to 2 rooms without permission and the wiring is a mess inside and out. Am I able to claim for the cost of redecorating the rooms that need it. removing the wiring etc from sky and anything for the freezer?

Thanks in advance.

Short answer is yes to repainting and removing wiring and making good. Maybe a bit for the freezer but only to repair or replace with one of similar age, not to replace with new.

Slightly longer answer - whether you get it will depend on how good your inventory going in and coming out is. If you can't prove the damage you will have difficulty recovering the money.

One tip re. the redocorating, if the tenant objects do not agree to using the deposit protection scheme arbitration as the tenant will say 'I redecorated the place is improved' and you will say 'He did but did such a poor job it has to be redone', from what I have seen the arbitrators tend to come down on tenants side in these circumstances insist on going to court. In any event make sure you take a ton of photos to back up your version before doing any of hte repairs.

Comment

Agree 100% with fletchj. Claim via the court, especially if the deposit does not cover the cost of repairs/repainting. Good before/after evidence of condition is essential to your success, ideally including check-in/out inventories, and high res photos showing details of poor workmanship. It won't necessarily show up enough in a general 'room view' shot.

Comment

Thanks for you advice.

Unfortunately my check in/out inventory doesn't seem to be that good. I have only just seen the them both which the letting agent completed, the check in inventory seems to be very basic although doesn't mention any marks to paintwork or freezer. I am obtaining quotes for work required, fingers crossed they won't dispute it!!!

Have you any idea what I could claim for the freezer? I have also discovered the fridge is also scratched, could I claim for this too?

Sorry lots of questins again!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
          BlueMystery
          I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
          26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
        • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
          KTC
          That ....
          26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
        • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
          Paul4321
          Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
          20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
        • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
          KTC
          A tenancy of more than 3 years to be executed as deed (Law of Property Act 1925).

A tenancy of less than 7 years - landlord's repairing obligations (Landlord and Tenant Act 1985).

A tenancy of more than 7 years - registration with the Land Registry.

If you're going...
          26-07-2017, 21:39 PM
        • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
          MrShed
          I dont see a benefit in Section 8 in this circumstance as the grounds are discretionary not compulsory (is my reading of the situation anyway).

Its worth issuing it anyway but then proceed down S21 when it expires?
          26-07-2017, 21:14 PM
        • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
          IoIo
          Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
          26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
        • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
          MrShed
          Yes I cant agree with JK on this one, although I agree its an elegant solution in theory. A few issues with it though:
          - Subletting
          - The previous tenant in effect remains a tenant (in the eyes of the law)
          - Any damage that has been caused up to now should in fact be deducted three...
          26-07-2017, 21:08 PM
        • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
          Logical.Lean
          I would make a list of the improvements / repairs which are required and get some ball park quotes for the work from trades(wo)men in the area.
          Then I would offer a 6 month rolling tenancy, at a fair rent. I would ask the tenant to quote for a few of the simple jobs, and pay him once completed....
          26-07-2017, 21:06 PM
        • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
          Wright76
          I can't see the departing tenant agreeing to withdraw their notice and nor should they simply to get their deposit back.

They are ALL responsible. The tenancy Is ending for all of them and they are jointly responsible for any damage.

I'm amused by your insistence for a professional...
          26-07-2017, 20:43 PM
        • Ending tenancy early / returning advance rent
          purpleangel
          Landlord has served me with S21 to leave property by 10 September. 12 month AST in England. Tenancy has been difficult last few months, major delays in repairs and I am still waiting to be refunded for a locksmith call out a month ago. I paid 12 months rent in advance due to having CCJs.

25-07-2017, 21:35 PM
        Working...
        X