Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Notice and Deposit Scheme

Hi all

I am coming up to the end of my 12 month assured shorthold lease, I am planning on moving out on the 31st of March. I spoke to my landlord last night and he assures me that I have to give 2 months notice? This is not written into the contract and as far as I was aware it was only mandority outside the fixed-term.

Could someone please verifiy/correct me?

Also I didn't receive details regarding which deposit scheme I was with, which I read is required within 14 days.

One last thing, in the 1st year the contract stated the landlord will pay the water rates, he did not. This was changed in the 2nd year contract. Is this something I can bring up?

I'd normally let these small things go, but if he's going to make it difficult...

Thanks

You don't have to give notice to end a fixed term tenancy; you are entitled to leave on or before the last day of the fixed term. You are not liable for any further rent beyond the end of the fixed term unless you remain in occupation.

If you have an assured shorthold tenancy, in England/Wales, with rent less than £2,083.33 pcm, commencing after 6th April 2007, then the landlord should have protected the deposit. Write to the landlord requesting details of the scheme.

If you paid the water rates for year 1, all you can do is write and ask for a refund, give a deadline to pay, failing which issue a claim against the landlord using Money Claim Online.

With all letters to LL, keep copies, send first class with a free certificate of posting, and file together with the copy.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply westminster, much appreciated.

Seems like you have confirmed my thoughts (and lowered my stress levels!).

Comment

Regarding the letter asking for a refund, is there a standard template I could follow? I've had a search but didn't find much... I have just noticed the copy of the first contract we have isn't signed

I found snorkerz extremely helpful deposit form last night so have filled that out, and sent the letter to the LL asking him which scheme we have been "put on".

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
          Berlingogirl
          This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
          27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
        • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
          Berlingogirl
          I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
          27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
        • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
          BouwensPB
          I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
          26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
        • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
          Wright76
          You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
          27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
        • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
          theartfullodger
          Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
          27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
        • Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
          purpleangel
          Our potential new landlady has 'approved us in principle' but wants to meet us at the house as the final part in the referencing process. Beside the obvious such as look smart, tidy and professional and warn the kids to behave, any particular tips for making sure this last hurdle goes smoothly?
          26-07-2017, 10:11 AM
        • Reply to Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
          Wright76
          Some of the above comments are crazy!. If they have aleady done their referencing and credit checks then they likely just want to meet you.

As someone said above, they are trusting you with their very valuable asset.

As a landlord I couldn't care less what clothes someone...
          27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
        • Landlord Address
          bsward
          Hello,

Tenancy finished a couple of months ago. The landlord withheld part of the deposit for a variety of reasons. As the tenant, I disputed those deductions as incorrect - they contradict the Checkout Report which was completed by an agent of the Landlord but that's besides the point....
          27-07-2017, 09:58 AM
        • Reply to Landlord Address
          theartfullodger
          As the tenancy has finished you have no right to his address from agent.

Have you spent £3 with land registry to get deeds of property & see who is listed as owner & what address?? (Landlord may not be owner... legal, no very uncommon...)
          https://www.gov.uk/search-propert...
          27-07-2017, 18:59 PM
        • Tenant's energy debt.
          Gordonmrln
          I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
          20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
        Working...
        X