X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve C
    started a topic Tenants staying on after end of tenancy

Tenants staying on after end of tenancy

Knowing that I am a landlord, a couple approached me for some advice. I can give them some of the answers to their questions, but don't feel confident to answer all of their questions in full, with any degree of certainty. They are both clearly feeling very distressed, so I thought I would post on here with the hope that somebody may answer their queries with a little more certainty than I can, so that I can then pass on the answers to them.

They are at present renting and have given notice to end the tenancy so that they can move into a house being bought on a part ownership basis with a housing association. The end date for the tenancy is 13th March, ie about 10 days time. Landlord has somebody sorted to move in on 16th March.

It appears that there is a problem at the land registry and the couple's solicitors have advised that the sale may not go through in time. There could be a delay of a week or two at most. If this does happen the couple has nowhere to live. They also have a 2 year old child.

I have told them that if they stayed beyond next week, there is nothing that the landlord could legally do in the near future to remove them. I do not believe that a section 21 had been issued and even if it had the landlord would not get a court date before they had moved out anyway. I have neither suggested that they move out nor stay. I know exactly how I would feel if I were their landlord, but on the other hand I feel for the young couple who are clearly struggling and could end up without anywhere to stay.

The problem I have is answering their questions about what the subsequent consequences would be.

Would they lose all of their deposit, or just a pro-rata amount for the extra week or so?

Would the landlord have rise to make a claim for any other damages? What for instance would happen if the landlord lost the new tenants due to move in on 16th March

Even knowing that the extension was a temporary one, if the landlord decided he wanted to start the removal process using for instance a solicitor, would the couple be liable for these costs? If the answer to this is yes, I presume the landlord would need to sue through the small claims court.

• Steve C
    replied
    Thanks for replies. Have passed comments to the couple and they have asked me to pass on their thanks. They have said that they have spoken to landlord and he has said they can stay until house purchase completes.

Leave a comment:

• Steve C
    replied
    Originally posted by Telometer View Post
    That'll soon stretch to a month or two.
    Not sure why that would be the case.

Leave a comment:

• Telometer
    replied
    There could be a delay of a week or two at most.
    That'll soon stretch to a month or two.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by havensRus View Post
    jeffrey, seeing as it's the T that gave notice, and now not leaving on due date, does the Distress for Rent Act not come in then? meaning they'd be liable to pay double rent until they leave?
    Yes, possibly.

Originally posted by havensRus View Post
    In theory maybe. But the LL found new T on the basis of notice given by T, so why should T not be liable for the loss suffered by LL if the new T can't move in?
    Yes, possibly.

Leave a comment:

• havensRus
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    This does not affect the deposit, although further rent is of course due at the same rate as during the fixed term.
    jeffrey, seeing as it's the T that gave notice, and now not leaving on due date, does the Distress for Rent Act not come in then? meaning they'd be liable to pay double rent until they leave?

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    That their L has contracted to re-let at once is his problem, not theirs.
    In theory maybe. But the LL found new T on the basis of notice given by T, so why should T not be liable for the loss suffered by LL if the new T can't move in??

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    If T stays-on, it's usually on a statutory continuation of the fixed-term tenancy. This does not affect the deposit, although further rent is of course due at the same rate as during the fixed term. That their L has contracted to re-let at once is his problem, not theirs.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pets causing eviction
    Wiffle
    Hi everyone,

Bit of background to start with.

We are new tenants of a rental property and told not only our letting agent but our landlord that we were the owners of two dogs.

The letting agent checked with the landlord that dogs were ok and they agreed as long...
    17-06-2019, 17:15 PM
  • Reply to Pets causing eviction
    KTC
    They can't actually force you to give up your dogs. They can (attempt to) evict you.
    17-06-2019, 22:32 PM
    Wiffle
    You join us and the letting agent in the same thought, does anyone know if there's a set limit of time they can request or is it something they can just make up as they go?

I can echo that, my kids are all grown up now but my mediocre DIY skills have been called upon many more times for...
    17-06-2019, 22:08 PM
  • Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
    RichH
    Hi,
    Fence at rear of property severely damaged by the strong winds a couple of nights back.
    Informed landlord by phone & also sent photos of damage by email. I have made emergency repairs to stop them going completely, but they are beyond repair.
    Landlord says they were put...
    10-03-2016, 19:01 PM
  • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
    tenant83
    2 million+ rented homes in the UK, 14,782 surveyed by an insurance company is just pee in the ocean. You also referenced figures which were obviously in the landlords' favour, we can all do that which is why polls are useless. I can easily say almost half of tenants are unhappy with their landlords...
    17-06-2019, 21:32 PM
    Wainwright
    At any rate it's a tad unreasonable to give someone 2 weeks to rehome their dogs.

I don't know, but I'd be happier to let to people with pets (within reason, of course) than to those with children!! In my experience and those of other landlords I know, the latter have been far more problematic...
    17-06-2019, 21:18 PM
    Wainwright
    Ah! This is exactly what I was thinking as well....
    17-06-2019, 21:12 PM
  • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
    boletus
    [QUOTE=tenant83;n1070209]

I didn't state any particular survey but 14,782 is quite some heavy weighting.

Why do you think that is?

Which is one of the lowest percentages of empty homes in Europe
    -or any other comparable...
    17-06-2019, 21:10 PM
  • Locking Building Doors At Night
    ivand
    Hi everyone, I live in a block of flats (some rented, some owned) with no entry system. The factor want to install a simple lock on the only entry to the building and lock it at night at a set time and give residents a key to get in. I think this is dangerous because it restricts entry by emergency...
    14-06-2019, 17:42 PM
  • Reply to Locking Building Doors At Night
    MdeB
    We have had this discussion for our block of flats.

The argument for no locks includes "the police advise that having a lock can make gaining entry a challenge to groups under the influence on a Saturday night, but hey are likely to pass on by if it is unlocked".

17-06-2019, 21:06 PM
Working...
X