Tenants staying on after end of tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants staying on after end of tenancy

Knowing that I am a landlord, a couple approached me for some advice. I can give them some of the answers to their questions, but don't feel confident to answer all of their questions in full, with any degree of certainty. They are both clearly feeling very distressed, so I thought I would post on here with the hope that somebody may answer their queries with a little more certainty than I can, so that I can then pass on the answers to them.

They are at present renting and have given notice to end the tenancy so that they can move into a house being bought on a part ownership basis with a housing association. The end date for the tenancy is 13th March, ie about 10 days time. Landlord has somebody sorted to move in on 16th March.

It appears that there is a problem at the land registry and the couple's solicitors have advised that the sale may not go through in time. There could be a delay of a week or two at most. If this does happen the couple has nowhere to live. They also have a 2 year old child.

I have told them that if they stayed beyond next week, there is nothing that the landlord could legally do in the near future to remove them. I do not believe that a section 21 had been issued and even if it had the landlord would not get a court date before they had moved out anyway. I have neither suggested that they move out nor stay. I know exactly how I would feel if I were their landlord, but on the other hand I feel for the young couple who are clearly struggling and could end up without anywhere to stay.

The problem I have is answering their questions about what the subsequent consequences would be.

Would they lose all of their deposit, or just a pro-rata amount for the extra week or so?

Would the landlord have rise to make a claim for any other damages? What for instance would happen if the landlord lost the new tenants due to move in on 16th March

Even knowing that the extension was a temporary one, if the landlord decided he wanted to start the removal process using for instance a solicitor, would the couple be liable for these costs? If the answer to this is yes, I presume the landlord would need to sue through the small claims court.

If T stays-on, it's usually on a statutory continuation of the fixed-term tenancy. This does not affect the deposit, although further rent is of course due at the same rate as during the fixed term. That their L has contracted to re-let at once is his problem, not theirs.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      This does not affect the deposit, although further rent is of course due at the same rate as during the fixed term.
      jeffrey, seeing as it's the T that gave notice, and now not leaving on due date, does the Distress for Rent Act not come in then? meaning they'd be liable to pay double rent until they leave?

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      That their L has contracted to re-let at once is his problem, not theirs.
      In theory maybe. But the LL found new T on the basis of notice given by T, so why should T not be liable for the loss suffered by LL if the new T can't move in??

Comment

Originally posted by havensRus View Post
        jeffrey, seeing as it's the T that gave notice, and now not leaving on due date, does the Distress for Rent Act not come in then? meaning they'd be liable to pay double rent until they leave?
        Yes, possibly.

Originally posted by havensRus View Post
        In theory maybe. But the LL found new T on the basis of notice given by T, so why should T not be liable for the loss suffered by LL if the new T can't move in?
        Yes, possibly.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

There could be a delay of a week or two at most.
          That'll soon stretch to a month or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
            That'll soon stretch to a month or two.
            Not sure why that would be the case.

Comment

Thanks for replies. Have passed comments to the couple and they have asked me to pass on their thanks. They have said that they have spoken to landlord and he has said they can stay until house purchase completes.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Referencing question
                kangoo1
                A couple wants to rent from me, she is on maternity leave and will not be returning to her previous employment, he is permanently employed and moving due to a job transfer. I have referenced him for the full rent and his guarantor has been successfully referenced.
                I am going to prepare the ast...
                22-07-2017, 17:19 PM
              • Claiming for protected deposit
                mandm
                This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                I served the...
                21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                JK0
                I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to get into one of JPK's interminable arguments.
                22-07-2017, 16:28 PM
              • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                MrShed
                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                jpkeates
                That's simply one of the Schedule 2 exemptions which, if met, allows a process using personal data at all - all the other principles still apply in parallel (where it can be stored, be not excessive, kept up to date etc).

So, while it might be OK because it relates to a contract, there...
                22-07-2017, 15:22 PM
              • Excessive estate agent fees
                Cml241
                I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
                21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
              • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                mariner
                A new 12 month fixed term does provide LL & T with extra security but can lead to complications for either if their resp circumstances/legislation change during the new AST.
                Personally, I would prefer if a orig AST was for a fixed 6 month term, followed by an SPT that required both LL &...
                22-07-2017, 14:09 PM
                jjlandlord
                In this case there should be no problem because:...
                22-07-2017, 12:30 PM
              • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                jpkeates
                I'm not sure they're "lying", they're just making some assumptions.

The agent can't decide if something is "too" risky or not - there are upsides and downsides to having a new fixed term agreement, and they're right to point out, for example, that the income would be...
                22-07-2017, 12:28 PM
                jpkeates
                Unless the tenant has given consent for the data to be used in this way, probably.

There's a grey area with this kind of data, because it's obviously been obtained for a purpose (which is to facilitate the renting of a property) and that's what it's being used for.
                There's usually...
                22-07-2017, 12:23 PM
              Working...
              X