Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking shower - landlord obligations

Hi,

My tenants have reported a shower that is leaking from the back of the electric unit only when it's on. My agent obtained a quote to repair this and it has come to 500 pounds which is quite pricey in my mind. This is to replace the unit and the RCD unit.

What are my obligations to repair this considering the tenants can still shower OK despite a leak from the back of the shower?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Manic View Post
    My tenants have reported a shower that is leaking from the back of the electric unit only when it's on. My agent obtained a quote to repair this and it has come to 500 pounds which is quite pricey in my mind. This is to replace the unit and the RCD unit.

What are my obligations to repair this considering the tenants can still shower OK despite a leak from the back of the shower?
    Are you for real? How much do you think it will cost you when the leak sudenly gets worse and electrocutes your tenant?

That said, £500 sounds a ridiculously large sum for a replacment shower - sounds more like a cost to fit a new one from scratch, ie including new pipework and running new cable back to the consumer unit - is that what's being quoted for and if so, why? Where/what is the RCD unit and why is that being replaced for a leak?

Comment

Hi

The repairing of an over the bath shower is not an obligation under section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, the main legislation relating to landlord's repairing obligations. However, you may still have an obligation in contract. In other words, did you promise (explicitly or by implication) at the start of the tenancy that you would maintain the shower?

To help answer that question, a little more detail might be useful. For example, what does the tenancy agreement say? What was said when the tenant viewed the property? Did you make it clear that there were some appliances that you would not repair?

By the way if I recall correctly when carrying out a repair to the shower unit the electrician will need to check that it is properly earth bonded, that the RCD is functioning correctly and that the unit itself (or any replacement unit) is installed fully in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions (which may also require an RCD of a particular specification, amongst other things). I recently had similar work carried out at one of my properties. Quotes varied between around £120 and over £700. I went for the cheapest and the electrician did a fine job.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
        Hi
        To help answer that question, a little more detail might be useful. For example, what does the tenancy agreement say? What was said when the tenant viewed the property? Did you make it clear that there were some appliances that you would not repair?

By the way if I recall correctly when carrying out a repair to the shower unit the electrician will need to check that it is properly earth bonded, that the RCD is functioning correctly and that the unit itself (or any replacement unit) is installed fully in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions (which may also require an RCD of a particular specification, amongst other things). I recently had similar work carried out at one of my properties. Quotes varied between around £120 and over £700. I went for the cheapest and the electrician did a fine job.
        Good point, my contract does say its the LL's responsibility to 'ensure that at the start of and during the tenancy all mechanical and electrical items ... are in repair and proper working order unless the lack of repair is due to the negligence or misuse of the tenant...'

It's probably best that I get a few more quotes as the proposed solution was to install a new shower unit and RCD. When i last replaced it I just replaced the shower unit with the same model for 60 quid!

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
          Are you for real? How much do you think it will cost you when the leak sudenly gets worse and electrocutes your tenant?

That said, £500 sounds a ridiculously large sum for a replacment shower - sounds more like a cost to fit a new one from scratch, ie including new pipework and running new cable back to the consumer unit - is that what's being quoted for and if so, why? Where/what is the RCD unit and why is that being replaced for a leak?
          Very good point. I'll probe the contractor about the new RCD unit and ask about other options. Thanks.

Comment

Would recommend you ask the tenants not to use the shower as there is a high risk of electrocution. I have replaced showers where the leaking water was pouring over of the cable connection and it would only need the flow to go over the live, not the neutral and the tenant to reach for the soap and bang. Also older shower instalation were often not placed on an RCD as the current draw was so high.

A cheap new eletrical shower should cost you GBP 60 see http://www.screwfix.com/prods/52753/...lectric-Shower

A retrofit RCB in the meter box GBP 35 http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20793/...e-B-Curve-RCBO

It should take an 1-2 hours to install depending on whether the plumber needs to move pipes or extend wiring, (sometimes the new shower may have the inlets in different locations and as sure as eggs are eggs the wiring for the old unit will have been cut to fit)

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
              When i last replaced it I just replaced the shower unit with the same model for 60 quid!
              You will no doubt be aware of your obligations under Part P of the building regs (if you DIY a shower change then you need approval from the council buildings regs people).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
                by HobbitShire
                Sorry but I must reitterate that she DID provide all documents which were initially requested before both parties signed the lease. This new, rigid requirement for a utility bill only came a day before the agreed move-in date.

This is not a case of a prospective tenant having no paper trail....
                20-01-2022, 01:28 AM
              • Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
                by HobbitShire
                My partner has recently signed a lease through a well known property agent in London.

The lease was also signed by the landlord. References from current + previous employer, landlord, etc, and proof of address were requested before signing, and provided.

Upon signing the lease...
                20-01-2022, 00:57 AM
                by HobbitShire
                Firstly, she already provided the previous lease, along with a document from the municipality of Amsterdam stating that she was registered as living there. I paid the bills as we were living together, and she has closed her Dutch bank account (as is required when you are no longer a resident). I'm sure...
                20-01-2022, 01:11 AM
                by Jon66
                No bank statements with the old address on? These are available freely from your online account, or previous utility bills, council tax bills etc. I find it difficult to accept that they are unable to provide something. I would have concerns if you were my prospective tenant. You need to provide the...
                20-01-2022, 01:02 AM
              • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
                by minorbark
                When you put it like that I'm more inclined to edge towards the S21 route regardless. As much as part of me feels some compassion for the guy and doesn't want to lump more stress on top of someone who appears to be struggling already, as has been said before, none of us are acting as a charity.
                19-01-2022, 22:51 PM
              • Property damaged. Advice please
                by minorbark
                Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
                18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
                by minorbark
                Thank you.

My initial contact with the police was just a phone call to the local station. As I almost half expected they wouldn't give up much info, I didn't particularly push back when they said as much and I left it at that. A formal complaint might fill in a few blanks in the story but...
                19-01-2022, 22:37 PM
                by Hudson01
                A back door way into finding out what did happen (or more info than you have now), is to ask for a callback from the local PCSO who covers the beat area where the tenant lives (go online and start a live chat), he or she will know far more about your tenant that a faceless comms operator at HQ or anyone...
                19-01-2022, 22:17 PM
                by DoricPixie
                Just because someone knocks on your door, even if it crescendos to them banging loudly on your door, it doesn’t mean you have to answer it or have to go and investigate.

If the tenant suffers from mental health issues and the police were sent round because someone thought the tenant’s...
                19-01-2022, 21:47 PM
                by WebLand
                From painful personal experience of this issue... You should formally contact the police, ask them why they broke the door down and ask for compensation. Their lawyer will then write to you with some information which may be useful for you to know (but not giving very much detail). I expect they'll...
                19-01-2022, 21:31 PM
              Working...
              X