Bathroom fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom fire

A tenant contacted me to let me know there'd been a fire in the bathroom and she'd inhaled a lot of smoke. The bathroom is smoke damaged but structurally ok. Apparently she turned the heater on the in bathroom then went to bed leaving it on. Somehow the heater fell of the wall and set light to a wooden picture frame. Went round there today and she's ok and i said why didn't the smoke alarms go off? Tried it and it wasnt working and looked inside and she'd taken the battery out. Obviously this is very worrying as she could have died. I'm getting my electrician down tomorrow to check out the rest of the wiring but i'm confident it's all ok and he's suggested he could fit mains powered smoke alarms to prevent this happening again. My concerns are what else can i do and how can i protect myself from this sort of thing? She went to bed leaving the fire on and had removed the smoke alarm batteries which seems completely outside of my control. Obviously she wants the smoke damage repaired and am gonna ring my insurance company on monday but will this be covered under buildings insurance as the actual structure is ok. Also, removing the batteries etc sounds like bad news and i'm not going to lie to insurance company as i would put myself in the frame for fraud.

any advice welcomes,

thanks.

Originally posted by jackboy View Post
    She went to bed leaving the fire on and had removed the smoke alarm batteries which seems completely outside of my control.
    Whilst T's safety is of the utmost concern, T has caused the danger of a fire risk herself, by:
    (1) making the smoke alarm ineffective, and;
    (2) leaving the fire on and going to sleep.

Without knowing the full facts*, one option may be to ask T to pay for the damage (unless it can be proven that the fire was faulty in some way).

* e.g. not sure how a fire can fall off a wall on it's own, unless it was loose in the first place.
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mice in the flat - what to do?
      JP23
      We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
      26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
    • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
      Jcg76
      I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
      Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
      24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
    • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
      Jcg76
      Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
      I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
      26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
    • Tenant application form
      Elum
      Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
      25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
    • Reply to Tenant application form
      AndrewDod
      You really need two forms.
      a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
      b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
      25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
    • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
      leaseholder64
      I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
      25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
    • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
      Stybdmy
      Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
      24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
    • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
      KTC
      If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
      25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
    • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
      Pb21
      Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
      25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
    • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
      bergerac
      Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
      25-07-2017, 22:07 PM
    Working...
    X