Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is liable for what?

Good Morning,

I’ve scoured the recent posts and not quite found the information that I need although I’m sure that one of your well advised users can help me out.

I’m a landlord.
    2 bedroomed flat with 2 couples – all signed up on one AST. Each couple paying half of the monthly rent. Bills sorted out between them.
    Couple A leaves so just couple B remain.
    Couple B want to stay but are reluctant to sign up to a new AST until they find replacements for couple A.
    As B have the run of the flat am I correct to think that they are liable for the whole of the rent? They do currently take responsibility for all of the bills.
    It does seem at the moment that B are quite comfortable with the current arrangements and are not very progressive with finding flatmates.
    I don’t want to subject them to sharing with tenants of my choice as that may not work out as well but I am reluctant to keep things going as present indefinitely and am considering repossession.

Hope that makes sense and I look forward to your guidance.

Thanks - TT

As they signed one AST they are liable for the whole rent as they were Jointly and Severally liable with couple A. Notify them of this fact and ensure you charge them the whole rent. Advise them that if rent arrears accumulate to 8 weeks you will issue notice.... that may give them a rocket up their behinds to find new flat mates!!
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

You say they all signed one agreement. That means, unless you provided otherwise, that each person who signed is liable for the whole rent. I think that if you tell them they are liable for the whole it will encourage them to find replacements.

Comment

Wow - thank you both very much
        My first posting and 2 replys within 31 minutes
        Keep up the good work for a fairer system for all

Comment

Hello, back again, all is not as simple as I had thought – or am I getting my knickers in a twist?

As a precautionary measure I am looking at serving a section 21 (a) notice and note that “all tenants must be named”

As both couples A and B have signed original AST do I serve notice on them both but not hold them both liable for rental income from the date one pair left.
          OR
          Do I just serve written notice on remaining tenants?

Tenants that left gave one months notice to all concerned and left 4 weeks ago if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance oh wise ones.

TT

Comment

Just to confirm: When notice was give was the tenancy periodic, i.e. had the fixed term expired?

Comment

yes - 6 month AST had expired
              now periodic
              thanks

Comment

Originally posted by timothytaylor View Post
                yes - 6 month AST had expired
                now periodic
                thanks
                1. What was the date of the last day of the fixed term?
                2. Was rent paid monthly?
                3. What date did couple A give notice?
                4. What date did couple A move out?
                5. Did couple A & B pay a deposit and was it protected?

Comment

AST began 1st May2009. Ran until 31st October.
                  Monthly rent – due on the first of every calendar month. Paid erratically but I show a level of leniency to accommodate tenants work regime.
                  Notice given 10th January.
                  Moved out 31st January – I know it’s not the full months notice but was mutually acceptable. – Yes I am too lenient as a landlord but I think the benefit of a good Landlord/Tenant relationship pays dividends in the long run.
                  No deposit taken – I make sure that I know my tenants so find the threat/use of small claims ensures eventual payment.

TT

Comment

Originally posted by timothytaylor View Post
                    Notice given 10th January.
                    Moved out 31st January – I know it’s not the full months notice but was mutually acceptable.
                    Technically, the earliest couple A's notice could expire is 28th February 2010 (notice served in periodic tenancy must be at least one month and also end at the end of a rental period, in this case the periods run 1st to last day of the month).

As far as I know, couple A's notice ends the whole tenancy, on 28th February 2010. If couple B remain in occupation, they will, I think, become trespassers. I don't know enough to advise you further on what to do next.

Comment

Yes. Where joint tenants hold anything, they form one party- so it's impossible to end part of it without ending all of it.
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                        Yes. Where joint tenants hold anything, they form one party- so it's impossible to end part of it without ending all of it.
                        Does that mean OP can apply for a possession order to evict the trespassers (aka couple B) on or after 1st March? (assuming OP has evidence that notice was given by couple A). And will couple B be liable for any sort of rent-type payment while they remain in occupation?

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                          Does that mean OP can apply for a possession order to evict the trespassers (aka couple B) on or after 1st March? (assuming OP has evidence that notice was given by couple A). And will couple B be liable for any sort of rent-type payment while they remain in occupation?
                          Both couples- A1/A2 and B1/B2- are joint tenants; so no-one's a trespasser.
                          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

So back to square 1 – but a bit wiser.
                            If only tenants B1/B2 remain by choice as tenants, not trespassers – are they liable for the full rent whilst they remain in situ?
                            AND
                            If I do issue a section 21(a) – [more than anything to encourage B1/B2 to find replacements for A1/A2 and/or to put pressure on B1/B2 to sign a new AST]– do I just issue to B1/B2 (which seems to make sense) or do I have to search out both A1/A2 as well – they being on the original AST which I wish to curtail.
                            Thanks a lot for now

TT

Comment

Both couples- A1/A2 and B1/B2- are joint tenants; so no-one's a trespasser.
                              I don't understand. Couple A gave notice to end the tenancy. This happened after the tenancy had become periodic. Couple A's notice, given on 10th Jan, has to expire 28th Feb. Surely that ends the joint tenancy of couple A & B as per your first comment.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                JP23
                                Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                                23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                              • Claiming for protected deposit
                                mandm
                                This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                                Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                                I served the...
                                21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                                mariner
                                Not protecting deposit correctly can deprive T of access to DPS & ADR.
                                Providing T with DPS Cert. only is not LL providing full PI
                                Many LLs cannot even serve a valid s21!

By all means let Ts police the scheme but limit their return to return of full deposit with 1-3x Penalty...
                                23-07-2017, 03:16 AM
                              • Referencing question
                                kangoo1
                                A couple wants to rent from me, she is on maternity leave and will not be returning to her previous employment, he is permanently employed and moving due to a job transfer. I have referenced him for the full rent and his guarantor has been successfully referenced.
                                I am going to prepare the ast...
                                22-07-2017, 17:19 PM
                              • Reply to Referencing question
                                mariner
                                Ref both for the full rent. Is the G a house/property owner?
                                23-07-2017, 02:38 AM
                              • Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
                                aciduzzo
                                Tenants are moving out today and i am doing the final inspection later; however, last time i was at the flat i noticed the bathroom was in a poor state.

What is the general opinion on black mould that has formed inside bathroom silicone? Is it considered wear and tear? Also, the seal...
                                03-07-2017, 08:07 AM
                              • Reply to Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
                                mystic08
                                You might like to gift your new tenants some Kilrock mould cleaner which is magic in a bottle! Cheapest in the Pound shop or The Range but supermarkets sell it too. Works brilliantly on algae too. Garden pots, patios, headstones etc.
                                22-07-2017, 20:52 PM
                              • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                MrShed
                                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                jjlandlord
                                That's the exemption that allows sending data outside of the EEA, which is the issue discussed.

No, because of that very exemption....
                                22-07-2017, 19:19 PM
                              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                                JK0
                                I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to get into one of JPK's interminable arguments.
                                22-07-2017, 16:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X