Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving notice

Hi

I moved into a reted house last nov on a 6 mth tenancy, have always paid rent on time. I have had a few issues with the property which the landlord has not always been good at sorting. Last night I recieved a note through the letterbox saying " This letter is to confirm that as from 6th May we will not be renewing your tenancy " I thought I had to be issued with a section 21 notice.
    So my query, is this legal and right and also if I find alternative accommadation before 6th May when the 6 mths is up do I still have to pay rent till then even if I move out before.
    Thanks for your help.

Unless you can come to some arrangement with your Landlord, yes you will have to pay rent for the full six months.

Comment

Originally posted by katrinahale View Post
      Hi

I moved into a reted house last nov on a 6 mth tenancy, have always paid rent on time. I have had a few issues with the property which the landlord has not always been good at sorting. Last night I recieved a note through the letterbox saying " This letter is to confirm that as from 6th May we will not be renewing your tenancy " I thought I had to be issued with a section 21 notice.
      So my query, is this legal and right and also if I find alternative accommadation before 6th May when the 6 mths is up do I still have to pay rent till then even if I move out before.
      Thanks for your help.
      A Notice under s.21 is needed only if:
      a. L wants you to go; but
      b. you (T) don't want to.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi Thanks for that whilst I never planned on this being long term I really did not want to move just yet. Having said that I will not make any waves and try to find alternative accomadation but if I do move out before so as not to be akward am I still liable for rent until 6th may if so I may as well ask for a section 21.

Comment

Yes you are still liable till 6th may but I suspect if your LL wants you gone he may be glad of an earlier departure and waive this?!

Hardly seems worth making him issue a S21. You'll ask him, he'll issue one, and all you've achieved is possibly looking pedantic?

Comment

You need to get it in writing from the Landlord if he is willing to let you leave early, and if he will waive the rent. Otherwise, as you suspect, you may be out of pocket.

Comment

Hi

Looking pedantic does not cost me money whereas moving out early may do. The landlord knew I wanted to stay untill the summer at least because of my situation but she did not even call to discuss the matter just shoved a note through the door. Whist I would prefer to be amicable about this she has not even returned my calls.

Comment

Well I guess in that case then you could always wait till 6th May and tell her you're not leaving as she didn't issue the correct notice, and hey presto you have your summer at the house! Or most of it!

Comment

Originally posted by katrinahale View Post
                  Looking pedantic does not cost me money
                  But what possible benefit is there to you in informing the LL she's not given you the required form of notice?!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Building damage?
                    by ram
                    Not to put a damper on things, but insurance is for accidents / unforseen occurences / trees falling on building / cars.- etc

Insurance does not cover for deliberate acts which caused a fault.
                    Thats why why drill round holes in bricks, put a plug in it then screw though the plug.
                    29-07-2021, 13:05 PM
                  • Building damage?
                    by lampshade
                    I have noticed that one of the 3 blocks has some studs hammered into the brickwork in one corner. There are also cracks running down the bricks. I am guessing that these studs are markers made by an engineer at some point, suggesting a structural issue maybe.
                    In the event that any further opening...
                    29-07-2021, 11:11 AM
                    by lampshade
                    Within the service charge there is of course a charge for Insurance. Presume if any work ever needs doing it would come from that Insurance policy? And then possibly an increase in future Insurance cost
                    29-07-2021, 12:33 PM
                  • Reply to Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
                    by Yasmenaax
                    Thanks for the response. Just wondering how I am not a tenant here though? Since there is a verbal agreement, I have been paying rent to her and she does not live in the property....
                    29-07-2021, 12:25 PM
                  • Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
                    by Yasmenaax
                    Hi there,

I moved into a property 2-3 months ago which was subletted to me by a girl named on the main tenancy contract of the property. I handed over a deposit (which is currently unprotected) and have paid rent on time. She today decided to give me notice to leave, giving me only 2 weeks...
                    29-07-2021, 02:19 AM
                  • Reply to Isolating beyond the end of a fixed term
                    by HantsAgent
                    Indeed. And my worry for the tenants here is that this technically means their tenancy could have continued for an effective additional two months (unable to give a valid NtQ until the beginning of the next tenancy period and that notice having to be a full tenancy period)

29-07-2021, 11:52 AM
                  • Isolating beyond the end of a fixed term
                    by HantsAgent
                    Is anyone aware of anything giving tenants some leeway if they have to isolate and it takes them beyond of their fixed term?

I'm trying to help the student son of a friend whose landlord appears to be being a little opportunistic because they had to stay in the property for a few days over...
                    28-07-2021, 12:56 PM
                    by ash72
                    It would only be an insurance issue if the freeholder has an adequate policy covering it. The best thing is for the freeholder or managing agent to instruct an engineer who will put movement detectors on the property and see if there is any movement. It could be historical.

All leaseholders...
                    29-07-2021, 11:33 AM
                  • Reply to Washing machine meter legality
                    by landlord-man
                    HaHa - I had already planned for that.

My power sockets are behind a locked cupboard so they can only access the coin meters.

I also put the communal wifi router power socket in a locked cupboard - otherwise, they could add an adapter socket to the router mains and run an extension...
                    29-07-2021, 10:36 AM
                  • Washing machine meter legality
                    by Dreamingofsea
                    i have a small hmo non licensable due to locality. It had a meter on the washing machine when I bought it but I disconnected it. I m finding that 1 tenant is doing 2 - 3 washes every day and so obviously is taking advantage of it and also hogging it. I stated in their tenancy agreements fair...
                    20-01-2021, 21:16 PM
                  Working...
                  X