Bit worried about prospective gumtree ad for accomodation, advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit worried about prospective gumtree ad for accomodation, advice please

I want to move back home but also surprise parents.

I have tried loads of online sites and almost everywhere is shared flats or lodgers and VERY expensive i.e for a flatshare as much as £100 a week(one wanted £150 a week yeah right!) or websites wanted paid membership and each email is like £3-£5 to send! The area must of incresed in prices quickly since I first moved there 7 years ago and paid £45 a week for a bedsit which I liked but others thought it grotty and you could pay £65-£75 a week for a luxury flat even then with flatscreen tvs or get a 2 bedroom furnished flat for £75 a week or in the dive area of town £40 a week for a 2 bedroom flat.

Even tried local paper one and saw a few but LL's arent responding.

Found a cheap place on gumtree but the LL sounds shifty, he only wants £75 a week and £50 deposit and each rooms comes with free internet and a tv and dvd combi.

This sounds VERY cheap and hope this doesnt sound racist but he has a non Brittish accent and a bit broken English and also the fact he wants cash in hand not via the bank or cheque!

I'm not exactly sure of the problem here.

Perhaps you should view the property and make an assessment.

Maybe it's cheap because it's completely run down, or maybe it's a genuine bargain from a LL that needs a tenant quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by jghomer View Post
      I'm not exactly sure of the problem here.

Perhaps you should view the property and make an assessment.

Maybe it's cheap because it's completely run down, or maybe it's a genuine bargain from a LL that needs a tenant quickly.
      It was mainly the fact it seems too good to be true plus the entire house is empty right now and he wanted cash in hand.

Comment

Best to be certain that L:
        a. actually owns the property in his own sole name; and
        b. has a 'sublet' consent from his mortgagee (and lessor, if it's leasehold).
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

OP
          Does LL want cash for all rent payments or the first one only? I prefer cash for the first transaction and then setup recurring payments via bank account.

As long as you get receipts for Cash I dont think its a problem.

Just because your landlord isnt fluent in english or of UK descent doesnt really matter too much as long you getting a fair deal from it.

Jeffrey
          Should a T be concerned if the property is in a joint name but only one owner is listed as a Landlord?

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            Should a T be concerned if the property is in a joint name but only one owner is listed as a Landlord?
            Maybe, so ask sole L for other joint-owner's written authority.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X