Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilo
    replied
    Agree about the balance between heat and ventilation. I have the same problem in my flat, but I invested in a dehumidifier. I run it when I dry clothes on a rack in the kitchen. It dries the clothes quicker and sucks all the moisture out of the rooms. Keep the windows closed and the loo seat down while it runs or you'll pay for sucking up toilet water and clouds!

It's not the LL fault.

Leave a comment:

• jghomer
    replied
    Condensation is a constant nightmare for Landlords, and tenants generally feel it is our fault.

I generally fit a moisture sensing extractor fan in my bathrooms and/or kitchens which helps a bit. On top of that general advice about not drying clothes on radiators, not having fishtanks!, venting tumble driers (or using condensing driers), and opening windows on vent settings.

I even advise internal doors being left open to promote airflow, especially the bedroom door at night when just the breath or 2 people in a small room will cause moisture.

Cavity wall insulation has also helped me, although some say that it can cause some cold spots still, i've never had this myself...

Leave a comment:

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    In my hoiuse, double glazing was installed over 10 years ago. I had almost forgotton the problem that condensation was before then! In the winter it was totally normal to be mopping up pools of water from the windowsills each morning. Before the installation of central heating, this water would be frozen in the bedrooms and bathroom which were of course unheated. Brr! but this was normal in those days. When we breathe out, we exhale warm, very moist air this will invariably deposit water droplets on cold surfaces - particularly single glazed window panes. In extreme circumstances this will also occurr on walls, particularly if they are uninsulated or are of single course brickwork.
    As we all know, this problem is made much worse by unventilated gas (cylinder) type fires or attempting to dry washing in the room - where can the water go?

The problem is that people moving from a warm, double glazed environment into a (hopefully warm) single glazed one complain about the condensation that occurrs in winter. Yeras ago, it would be accepted as normal and coped with.

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• Telometer
    replied
    Condensation is almost certainly the fault of the tenant. Without a tenant, there would be no condensation.

Open some windows and turn the central heating up. Do not dry clothes in the flat - instead use a vented/condensing tumble drier. Do not boil pans of water without lids on them. Do not shower without the bathroom window open and leave it thus until the bathroom is dry. Sleep with the window open a crack.

Leave a comment:

• Cipher
    replied
    If the condensation wasnt there when you moved in (not detailed in check in inventory) and occured a month after you moved in, surely your doing something to cause this? What precautions have you taken?
    Is the property well ventilated?
    Are you drying clothes indoors?

What would you like as a resolution from the LL or Agency?

Leave a comment:

• Jackman88
    started a topic Condensation in a property

Condensation in a property

I was wondering if anyone can advise me.

There is extremely heavy condensation in a flat that I am currently renting with my friend. The condensation is in both bedrooms and the living room and on interior walls that are exposed to the outside. In the bedrooms it is extremely bad, covering almost the whole wall.

We moved in October and the condesation began in mid-November and has progressively got worse. We have spoken to our letting agents (who manage the property on behalf of the landlord) who have as of yet failed to do anything. Despite being shown the conditions of the property.

I am not sure what our rights our as tenants in the property, would anyone be able to advise us what to do?

Thanks in advance
    Leo

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X