X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by susanne View Post
    thanks... i have today emailed her legal representative a copy of a letter to my tenant and have asked leg rep to make contact as i can never make contact with tenant.... puts the ball firmly in their court..... have also made contact with EHO to inform them of the situation - so hopefully have pre-empted that route of grumblings....

what does worry me is the leaving on of the cooker rings.. and the fire risk.... i doubt there is a current battery in the smoke alarm..... she wont stop using the cooker for heating till the boiler is fixed....
    I suppose all you can do is write to her (with appropriate proof, as advised above) offering to supply some convector heaters to use as alternative heating until the boiler is fixed. Explain that you have serious conccerns about her leaving the cooker rings on unattended, because it is a fire risk. She may not reply, but at least you will not have it on your consicence if anything does happen and she accuses you later of leaving her freezing cold and obliged to put the cooker rings on all day.

Leave a comment:

• susanne
    replied
    thanks... i have today emailed her legal representative a copy of a letter to my tenant and have asked leg rep to make contact as i can never make contact with tenant.... puts the ball firmly in their court..... have also made contact with EHO to inform them of the situation - so hopefully have pre-empted that route of grumblings....

what does worry me is the leaving on of the cooker rings.. and the fire risk.... i doubt there is a current battery in the smoke alarm..... she wont stop using the cooker for heating till the boiler is fixed....

Leave a comment:

• fletchj
    replied
    If she dosn't let you in on Thursday I suggest you do the following. Write to her posting a copy from 2 post offices with proof of postage stating that you have attended on date x and date y with name of builder and name of plumber to attend to the reported problem. You have not been allowed access so now take it that the problem is resolved - you will be taking no further action without a guarantee of access.

This is just in case she gets stroppy later on claiming disrepair when you are chasing her for any debt.

Leave a comment:

• susanne
    replied
    visit to the county court is first on the agenda for tomorrow......

i have an appointment with my gas engineer for thursday morning - lets see if she lets us in then..... if she doesn't she will be the one that is cold...... not me .. wonder how long it will take to get parts....... mmmmmmm

Leave a comment:

• chappers2341
    replied
    If you now have a court order for her to leave then you can now instruct the bailiffs to physically remove her.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Well if she kicked you out after asking you to call, I would not lose too much sleep about the boiler!

Others will be able to help with your other queries.

Leave a comment:

• susanne
    started a topic tenant putting property at fire risk

tenant putting property at fire risk

I have a possession order for today after nearly 9 months of a tenant truly from hell. Of course she is not going to move out today.

Last night she called at 9.00pm because the boiler had not come on and water was spouting out of an external pipe on the kitchen wall. She demanded an emergency plumber. I instructed her to switch off the water, which she did, and i said i would attend today.

I arrived at 8.30am, with a builder, there was no answer. All 4 cooker electric rings were on full, the kitchen is so full of clutter, and wooden shelves abut the cooker. The kitchen window was open. My builder let himself in and we switched off the cooker.

The tenant was in bed, and when she realised we were in the property she was "not happy" - i tried to explain that i thought leaving the cooker on was a dangerous fire risk - but she refused to listen and threw us out. We were denied access to the kitchen and so did not fix the boiler.

do i have to fix this boiler now that i have a possession order ?

is there any kind of emergency bailiffs warrant i can apply for for a speedier eviction .....

i am seriousy worried about the fire risk to the property ..

Latest Activity

Collapse

• solicitors fees
    by rob1648
    Hi all , finally managed to get my tenant evicted after 18 months of hell using high court bailiffs , house now sold so happy days, we tried initially to do the section 21ourselves but made mistakes which citizens advice happily pointed out to our tenant so we decided to use a solicitor to act for us...
    29-07-2021, 15:19 PM
  • Reply to Building damage?
    by ram
    Not to put a damper on things, but insurance is for accidents / unforseen occurences / trees falling on building / cars.- etc

Insurance does not cover for deliberate acts which caused a fault.
    Thats why why drill round holes in bricks, put a plug in it then screw though the plug.
    29-07-2021, 13:05 PM
  • Building damage?
    by lampshade
    I have noticed that one of the 3 blocks has some studs hammered into the brickwork in one corner. There are also cracks running down the bricks. I am guessing that these studs are markers made by an engineer at some point, suggesting a structural issue maybe.
    In the event that any further opening...
    29-07-2021, 11:11 AM
    by lampshade
    Within the service charge there is of course a charge for Insurance. Presume if any work ever needs doing it would come from that Insurance policy? And then possibly an increase in future Insurance cost
    29-07-2021, 12:33 PM
  • Reply to Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
    by Yasmenaax
    Thanks for the response. Just wondering how I am not a tenant here though? Since there is a verbal agreement, I have been paying rent to her and she does not live in the property....
    29-07-2021, 12:25 PM
  • Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
    by Yasmenaax
    Hi there,

I moved into a property 2-3 months ago which was subletted to me by a girl named on the main tenancy contract of the property. I handed over a deposit (which is currently unprotected) and have paid rent on time. She today decided to give me notice to leave, giving me only 2 weeks...
    29-07-2021, 02:19 AM
  • Reply to Isolating beyond the end of a fixed term
    by HantsAgent
    Indeed. And my worry for the tenants here is that this technically means their tenancy could have continued for an effective additional two months (unable to give a valid NtQ until the beginning of the next tenancy period and that notice having to be a full tenancy period)

29-07-2021, 11:52 AM
  • Isolating beyond the end of a fixed term
    by HantsAgent
    Is anyone aware of anything giving tenants some leeway if they have to isolate and it takes them beyond of their fixed term?

I'm trying to help the student son of a friend whose landlord appears to be being a little opportunistic because they had to stay in the property for a few days over...
    28-07-2021, 12:56 PM
    by ash72
    It would only be an insurance issue if the freeholder has an adequate policy covering it. The best thing is for the freeholder or managing agent to instruct an engineer who will put movement detectors on the property and see if there is any movement. It could be historical.

All leaseholders...
    29-07-2021, 11:33 AM
  • Reply to Washing machine meter legality
    by landlord-man
    HaHa - I had already planned for that.

My power sockets are behind a locked cupboard so they can only access the coin meters.

I also put the communal wifi router power socket in a locked cupboard - otherwise, they could add an adapter socket to the router mains and run an extension...
    29-07-2021, 10:36 AM
Working...
X