i dont have the rent this month, so scared!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dont have the rent this month, so scared!

my rent was due on the 17th and ive been avoiding my landlord as i just dont have it, ive never missed a payment in the yr that ive lived here, recently ive been suffering ill health and havent been as "on top" of things as i should have been.. this worries me more as i claim housing beniefit which this month has been swallowed by my own bills.. i really have no idea what to do, as i have 6 children living in the house with me im really scared that he will ask us to leave
    sadly i dont have family or friends that i could help to cover me, this is the worst situation i could have ever found myself in as usually the rent comes first ( i have to top up almost £100 a month) and anything ( inc food) comes later
    we have a 6 month lease short term assured (?) that was never updated when it ran out, but so far as im aware thats not an issue (?) i always pay my rent as cash direct to him at his place of business ( local shop)
    any advice would be sooo gratefully received, im not in a position to take a loan due to the fact that im on benefits,and any that i maybe able to get hold of would likely cost me more than ill ever have to repay
    thanks

Originally posted by tenant10 View Post
    my rent was due on the 17th and ive been avoiding my landlord as i just dont have it, ive never missed a payment in the yr that ive lived here, recently ive been suffering ill health and havent been as "on top" of things as i should have been..
    The worst thing you could do is try to avoid your obligations under the tenancy, i.e. rent payments. Avoiding the problem and getting into further rent arrears is not the solution. I would suggest discussing your current (temporary) financial problems directly with the LL; if the LL is reasonable, he may agree to a flexible repayment plan.

Check with the Council that you have received your full LHA entitlement; and, any other benefits you may be entitled to.

Taking out loans if you are already in debt is not a good idea, however Credit Unions do offer low interest loans.
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Originally posted by tom999 View Post
      The worst thing you could do is try to avoid your obligations under the tenancy, i.e. rent payments. Avoiding the problem and getting into further rent arrears is not the solution. I would suggest discussing your current (temporary) financial problems directly with the LL; if the LL is reasonable, he may agree to a flexible repayment plan.
      Absolutely... as a landlord, I can tell you that it winds me up like nothing else when a tenant buries their head in the sand over a situation like this. If you want any hope of negotiating a reasonable outcome, be honest and upfront about the situation.

If your landlord can trust what you're telling him he will be far more amenable to sorting something out than if you just pretend the situation isn't happening and let it until it's too late. Believe me, I've been on the receiving end of both types of tenant...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Joint tenancy - end fixed term
        Nottinverno
        Hello,

need some advice, please, I'm getting mad at this.

I have a joint tenancy, renting a flat through an agency with other 2 people, ending end January.
        I have decided to move out and I gave my notice (to both the agency and my flatmates) last end November, however...
        09-01-2018, 14:29 PM
      • Reply to Joint tenancy - end fixed term
        KTC
        Ask the solicitor for their interpretation of section 5(5)(b) of the Housing Act 1988 regarding giving a notice to quit on the first day of the statutory periodic tenancy.
        19-01-2018, 22:54 PM
        Nottinverno
        Oh nono, I have to leave at the end of Feb. I have already moved forward my move and luckily the new landlord is flexible, but I can't stay other 2 months in my current place.
        It really seems that as soon as the periodic roll starts I can serve 1 month notice, so by end Feb I should be able to...
        19-01-2018, 22:48 PM
      • Payment Break
        OlliesDad
        I have a great long-term tenant who, along with her husband and daughter has been with me for nearly 5 years. Unfortunately the husband has done the dirty and left leaving her with nothing but debts. Her finances are in a mess and she has said she may need to move in with family whilst she sorts herself...
        18-01-2018, 21:27 PM
      • Reply to Payment Break
        royw
        You have a good tenant and if it were me I'd be looking for ways to keep her rather than evict her. Might be worth having a chat and find out how much she can afford now and in the long-term. If she can afford it on her own once the debts are cleared possibly offer her a reduced rent for a year equivalent...
        19-01-2018, 22:26 PM
      • Tenants not vacated at check-out
        tatemono
        Had a lovely young couple with a baby in our property for about 8 months, they gave notice to leave as he'd moved out after they split up and she couldn't afford rent. Sad situation for them. Property has been on market since.

Anyway, yesterday our very competent and well-trusted long-standing...
        09-01-2018, 08:58 AM
      • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
        KTC
        If it were a notice to quit given during a periodic tenancy, as opposed to an agreement with the landlord during the fixed term, then tenancy has ended. Validity of a notice to quit does not depend on whether the tenant follow up and acting in accordance to it. A notice to quit is not a notice of intention....
        19-01-2018, 22:20 PM
      • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
        buzzard1994
        But the notice wasn't valid because the tenant did not give up possession. The notice is an intention to end the tenancy but the tenant remains in possession so they did not end the tenancy. If it was the end of a fixed term that would be different....
        19-01-2018, 22:06 PM
        KTC
        Just serve your own notice and leave them to it. Wish them good luck if either one tries to sue you for rent etc.

Having said that, I'm not totally sure about my previous advice that you can give notice on the first day of the periodic tenancy, so if you want to be safe, give notice after...
        19-01-2018, 21:53 PM
      • Tenant paying rent erratically after section 21 notice. Best course of action?
        Flipjango
        We had tenants move in on a 12 month AST with a 6 month break clause on 10th August 2017. Less than two months into their tenancy the tenants (a couple) split up and one tenant moved out. Tenant 1 (the one who moved out) continued to pay his share of the rent, (if rather erratically and late, and with...
        18-01-2018, 20:42 PM
      Working...
      X