i dont have the rent this month, so scared!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i dont have the rent this month, so scared!

my rent was due on the 17th and ive been avoiding my landlord as i just dont have it, ive never missed a payment in the yr that ive lived here, recently ive been suffering ill health and havent been as "on top" of things as i should have been.. this worries me more as i claim housing beniefit which this month has been swallowed by my own bills.. i really have no idea what to do, as i have 6 children living in the house with me im really scared that he will ask us to leave
    sadly i dont have family or friends that i could help to cover me, this is the worst situation i could have ever found myself in as usually the rent comes first ( i have to top up almost £100 a month) and anything ( inc food) comes later
    we have a 6 month lease short term assured (?) that was never updated when it ran out, but so far as im aware thats not an issue (?) i always pay my rent as cash direct to him at his place of business ( local shop)
    any advice would be sooo gratefully received, im not in a position to take a loan due to the fact that im on benefits,and any that i maybe able to get hold of would likely cost me more than ill ever have to repay
    thanks

Originally posted by tenant10 View Post
    my rent was due on the 17th and ive been avoiding my landlord as i just dont have it, ive never missed a payment in the yr that ive lived here, recently ive been suffering ill health and havent been as "on top" of things as i should have been..
    The worst thing you could do is try to avoid your obligations under the tenancy, i.e. rent payments. Avoiding the problem and getting into further rent arrears is not the solution. I would suggest discussing your current (temporary) financial problems directly with the LL; if the LL is reasonable, he may agree to a flexible repayment plan.

Check with the Council that you have received your full LHA entitlement; and, any other benefits you may be entitled to.

Taking out loans if you are already in debt is not a good idea, however Credit Unions do offer low interest loans.
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Originally posted by tom999 View Post
      The worst thing you could do is try to avoid your obligations under the tenancy, i.e. rent payments. Avoiding the problem and getting into further rent arrears is not the solution. I would suggest discussing your current (temporary) financial problems directly with the LL; if the LL is reasonable, he may agree to a flexible repayment plan.
      Absolutely... as a landlord, I can tell you that it winds me up like nothing else when a tenant buries their head in the sand over a situation like this. If you want any hope of negotiating a reasonable outcome, be honest and upfront about the situation.

If your landlord can trust what you're telling him he will be far more amenable to sorting something out than if you just pretend the situation isn't happening and let it until it's too late. Believe me, I've been on the receiving end of both types of tenant...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help and advice
        MONGOOSE505
        Hi

Last month, I rented a two bedroom property to a female and her son, no pets,working , Refs checked etc.

This morning I receive a call from the neighbors.

Eight people are now living in the property and un-controllable dogs

I have never had to deal...
        23-07-2017, 09:06 AM
      • Reply to Help and advice
        MrShed
        I'd be seeking a Section 8 repossession on grounds 12 and 14, possibly 17. You will need to establish proof of course, and some of this depends upon what your tenancy agreement says around pets and around visitors/guests/subletting.

The neighbours saying "eight people are living in...
        23-07-2017, 10:32 AM
      • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        MrShed
        I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
        20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
      • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        jjlandlord
        The other principles of course apply, but that's not the point.

Tatemono specifically asked if it was OK for him to be sent personal data of the prospective tenant (the filled tenancy agreement to be signed) outside of the EEA.

Principle 8 states that no data may be sent outside...
        23-07-2017, 10:27 AM
      • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        JP23
        Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
        23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
      • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        jpkeates
        The landlord can only charge fees agreed (usually in the tenancy agreement).
        23-07-2017, 10:06 AM
      • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        jpkeates
        That's not how it works.

All of the data protection principles are applied to all personal data, meeting the Schedule 2 criteria enables the processing of data at all (as part of Principle 1), the other principles all still apply.
        Which Schedule 1 makes "clear".
        An Act to make new provision for the regulation of the processing of information relating to individuals, including the obtaining, holding, use or disclosure of such information.
        23-07-2017, 10:02 AM
      • Pros and cons of "DSS" tenants
        Awesomestow
        Mods - apologies if there's already a thread on this, I tried searching given it's bound to have been asked before but the search returned an error.

Having emptied my property (finally!) in February, we've now completed a rebuild programme. It's come in almost on budget and almost on...
        28-05-2017, 20:34 PM
      • Reply to Pros and cons of "DSS" tenants
        AndrewDod
        Glad we could help get your ideas straightened out in your head.

The status of being where "weakness = power" is only going to accelerate.

Weak people should have power. But what we are talking about here is the power to abuse which is something altogether differ...
        23-07-2017, 09:52 AM
      • Reply to Help and advice
        MONGOOSE505
        Q1. England

Q2 Sole tenant

Q3 28/04/2017

Q4 Six Months

Q5 Monthly Rent

Q6 No

Q7 No notices as of yet

Q8 No...
        23-07-2017, 09:46 AM