Reasonable requests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable requests

I have a friend who has just moved into a flat that is 2 yrs old. There are no curtain rails to the windows, and no nails in the walls for pictures. If they put up pictures, when they vacate can the agent deduct money for putting back to wall? Also can the agent request you remove the curtain rails, after all curtains are necessary and landlord should supply, and also pictures are part of living.
    I am here because I am inexperienced and want to learn.

Originally posted by boredbird View Post
    I have a friend who has just moved into a flat that is 2 yrs old. There are no curtain rails to the windows, and no nails in the walls for pictures. If they put up pictures, when they vacate can the agent deduct money for putting back to wall? Also can the agent request you remove the curtain rails, after all curtains are necessary and landlord should supply, and also pictures are part of living.
    Yes, the landlord could be entitled to deduct the cost of making good the walls at the end of the tenancy.

The landlord has no legal obligation to supply curtains, or to allow the tenant to bang nails in the wall to hang pictures.

Many/most landlords are reasonable people, however, so the best thing to do would be for your friend to ask the LL whether he is either willing to install curtains, or willing to allow curtains rails to be installed, etc. Whatever is agreed, it is essential to get something in writing from the landlord confirming the agreement, even if it's just an email.

Note that the agent merely acts on behalf of the landlord. The tenant has no contract with the agent.

Comment

Westminster- you say make good the walls after the tenancy. What do you (and others) feel constitutes an appropriate repair? Polyfiller and a quick paint touch up, or does a wall need fully repainting? How about when a room is wallpapered?

I only ask because I have just supervised a replacement double glazing unit being fitted (at tenants request - he didn't wish to be around for the fitting and asked that I be there), and I noticed he has a large number of pictures on the walls, either hung with nails or screwed in place. In a couple of places he has obviously hung a picture then changed his mind about where to put it, leaving big holes around it. The room was redecorated less than 15 months ago. He has lived there for a month, inventory completed and signed to say walls are pretty much perfect apart from a couple of light scuffs. Contract states pictures hooks to be used and only with LL permission.

I don't want to cause a fuss and I would have allowed a couple of picture hooks if asked, but I also don't want lots of unsightly holes or badly repaired patchy bits left for the next tenants. I feel it is only fair to point this out to him so he has chance to make good the damage properly, and avoid deductions from his deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by remyrobson View Post
        Westminster- you say make good the walls after the tenancy. What do you (and others) feel constitutes an appropriate repair? Polyfiller and a quick paint touch up, or does a wall need fully repainting? How about when a room is wallpapered?

I only ask because I have just supervised a replacement double glazing unit being fitted (at tenants request - he didn't wish to be around for the fitting and asked that I be there), and I noticed he has a large number of pictures on the walls, either hung with nails or screwed in place. In a couple of places he has obviously hung a picture then changed his mind about where to put it, leaving big holes around it. The room was redecorated less than 15 months ago. He has lived there for a month, inventory completed and signed to say walls are pretty much perfect apart from a couple of light scuffs. Contract states pictures hooks to be used and only with LL permission.

I don't want to cause a fuss and I would have allowed a couple of picture hooks if asked, but I also don't want lots of unsightly holes or badly repaired patchy bits left for the next tenants. I feel it is only fair to point this out to him so he has chance to make good the damage properly, and avoid deductions from his deposit.
        If you are happy to let them live with it until the end of their tenancy I would suggest getting them to request retrospective permission in writing, which you can agree to and set out your conditional standard of repair which should include the immediate repair of damage from the hooks not in use.

I used to rent out shabbier house shares with wonky old walls and dodgy wallpaper and and consequently only required a the most basic repair. My current properties are newly converted with excellent flat plasterwork. Poor repair work would be extremely noticeable.

I expect the filling to be excellent - properly filled and sanded flush - it is so very easy to do. I would expect them to use the correct shade of paint and touch up tidily but not worry about it if the repair still stood out simply because the original paint had faded etc.. That will be easy enough to cover up when redecorating later. Unless of course there are so many new holes that it is really unsightly and warrants being entirely repainted. I never insist that the work is carried out professionally but always advise that any repair needs to be in keeping with the high standard of the property.

That said, I also turn a blind eye for an easy life when the tenants have otherwise been really great and it is only a couple of hooks.
        Assume I know nothing.

Comment

The retrospective permission with appropriate conditions is a very good idea. Like you I want an easy life and don't want this to blow up later. The plastering was new when it was last decorated so I'm less inclined to turn a blind eye because it is so new.
          Thanks for that!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant Issues - New Landlord Requesting Advice
            TWMLandlord
            For the past year I have let my family home (work commitments meant I've had to live elsewhere), using a fully managed service provided by a local letting agent. I let the property on the understanding that it was a single tenant with her young son and no pets (although I advertised the property as...
            19-08-2017, 16:01 PM
          • Reply to Tenant Issues - New Landlord Requesting Advice
            Darth Wookie
            Not entirely. A landlord is responsible to their tenants, but a tenant is responsible for any visitors or occupants they may have during their tenancy.
            Is it really possible to dictate to a person who they should, or should not, have in the privacy of their own home. Can we, as a society, really...
            21-08-2017, 10:15 AM
          • Mice in the flat - what to do?
            JP23
            We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
            26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
          • Reply to Mice in the flat - what to do?
            HantsAgent
            Great, but you've entirely missed the point I was making.

If someone walked across my front garden and allowed their dog to take a massive dump I'd have more than reasonable grounds to hold them responsible for cleaning it up.

But if they refused or claimed that it wasn't down...
            21-08-2017, 10:01 AM
          • NTQ during fixed term?
            vpltd
            Hi,
            Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
            (A residential let in England.)
            VPL.
            11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
          • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
            jpkeates
            Notice to quit is pretty well defined, "surrender" is not, so while that list looks complete, it is in fact not.

For a tenant to surrender a tenancy, there should be an offer of surrender and the landlord has to accept that offer.

If s21 notice is served and a tenant...
            21-08-2017, 09:50 AM
          • End of student tenancy
            mkgirl
            Hi

my Daughter shared a house last year with 4 strangers as she didn't get in to halls. It's been a bit of a nightmare as the 2 lads were very disrespectful with regards to cleanliness, having people over and paying towards bills. She came home a lot and i may came home for the summer as...
            20-08-2017, 17:29 PM
          • Reply to End of student tenancy
            jpkeates
            There's only (legally) one tenant in a joint tenancy ("who" is made up of the five occupants all of whom are liable for all of the obligations of the tenant), so yes, the badly maintaining students will be subsidised by the better behaved students.

The "Lead Tenant"...
            21-08-2017, 09:17 AM
          • Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
            james99
            Hi,

I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported...
            16-08-2017, 16:53 PM
          • Reply to Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
            leaseholder64
            Most head leases for flats forbid drying within the grounds but outside the flat, so requiring drying outside the property means an extended dry in the laundrette, so you if you want to impose such a rule, you should probably ban washing machines as well.

(Where I live, a common breach...
            21-08-2017, 09:16 AM
          Working...
          X